D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

any d90 owners using a nikon 18-200vr instead of kit lens?

what lens is on your d90 majority of the time?

I only have a 18-200 VR so is the only one for me.
Couldn't be doing with all that lens changing malarky !

got to say wow for the 50mm f1.8D, for the IQ and price it's awesome
loving it, great at low light and incredible with an external flash bouncing light

Struggling to get sharpness with my recently aqquired sigma 70-200 f2.8. Images appear a bit washed out almost. any ideas anyone?

admittedly the sigma isn`t sharp at 2.8 but when you start stepping towards f/4.0 and above its gets quite razor sharp, fot football i always use a centre weighted metering mode as the matrix mode gives to much washed out images, i recently took some pictures of my other half and used f/8.0 and the pictures was razor sharp, any more info you wanna know mate, just pm me or reply to this thread (but still pm me cos i dont look to often).

Any ideas of the cheapest way to buy one...

I can get 4% back off quidco thru Jessops and have looked at CameraPriceBuster Any other ideas? :thinking:

Camerapricebuster is pretty much the one to go by. Look second hand though, I saw one in the classifieds here yyesterday for sale for £50o, around 1500 actuations as well. I'd have bought that if I didn't already have one.

I'm trying to sell my D60 as the D90 just blows it out of the water and even as a backup, I notice it's inferiority every time. It will fund the Tamron 28-75 I've just bought.

Well I`ve had the D90 for over a week now and have to say it is stunning! I didnt realise that the step up from the D60 would be so great - but it is. At the moment just using the 18 - 105VR lens but itching for some weather to let me get my 70-300VR on it. Love ISO auto, no fiddling when the lights go down. Love the menus and flexibility. Love the additional buttons for quick setting stuff. Damn, Im so impressed I`ve even read the manual !!!

Now going to concentrate on getting the pics right in camera to reduce post processing time and feel I can do this better with the D90.

Now Ken reckons shoot jpegs but a lot of folk reckon RAW - anyone notice much difference?

Really good thread as I currently have a D60 [backup] and a D80 and want to upgrade the D80 to a D90 or a D300 [when I find one at the right price]. If and when I do find one can anyone comment on D90 versus D300 - I do mainly nature photography and my main lens is an 80-400mm VR [selling a Sigma 120-300 F2.8 cos I can't justify having it for the time I get to use it!] I'm wondering whether the difference in AF on the D90 and the D300 is significant in actual use of whether its just for the more technical types?

I have just upgraded from D40 to the D90 what a differance, The instruction book that came with it is very good but i have found one better, The Nikon D90 Companion by Ben Long is brilliant. I purchased my D90 kit from Dixons tax free at a UK airport and it was posted to my home address i saved £100.

Just on the verge of picking up the great D90 in the next couple of days. Yippee :clap: After much thought and research, the D90 and the darkside it is!

What cards can anyone recommend? I have been advised by a friend to look at at Class 6 16Gb SDHC card. I have thought of the Transcend one, but after reading somewhere that it is not that quick when shooting in continuous bursts, I am now a bit confused.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Cheers from a newboy round here, Rob.

What cards can anyone recommend? I have been advised by a friend to look at at Class 6 16Gb SDHC card. I have thought of the Transcend one, but after reading somewhere that it is not that quick when shooting in continuous bursts, I am now a bit confused.

I use Standard Sandisk 4GB's in mine. About £5.00 each from Morrisons.

Never had a problem with continuous shooting.

Just on the verge of picking up the great D90 in the next couple of days. Yippee :clap: After much thought and research, the D90 and the darkside it is!

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Cheers from a newboy round here, Rob.
I use Sandisk Extreme III cards anything slower does not clear the buffer as fast when shooting raw and trying to get 4.5 fps. I stick to 4gb as it makes it easier to back up to DVD.

Last edited:
I found I much prefer using my 35mm f1.8 for movies over the zoom lens, obviously its better in low light but not having to mess around with the zoom and just concentrate on the manual focusing which is enough in itself at times. You also tend to get quite a bit of the jello effect at longer zooms or just even zooming in and out.

Not sure if it was posted on here but here is a quick guide for the D90 movie mode.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=146661

My biggest advice would be to use the AE lock when taking movies, it really grates me when I see videos on YT without it :D (or in fact when I take videos and forget to enable it!)

EDIT: I came from a fujifilm s9600 bridge camera so its worlds apart in quality of both pictures and the body itself, I can't go back to using the s9600 now, no optical viewfinder for one...bluegh :(

Last edited:
Good on yer Rob.

I moved up to a D90 from the D60 and have never looked back. I have been immensely pleased with the results and it has encouraged me to get out and about much more often.

Enjoy it!

Finally sold the D60, the Tamron 28-75 arrives today and I'll have the Sigma 10-20 by the end of the week. A sigma 70-300 and I think I may take a break from buying as I'll have 7 lenses then!

Can anyone recommend a shoulder bag that will fit a gripped D90 and a couple of lenses?

nice one dman

a slingshot 200AW before fitted my:
Gripped A300 +Tamron 28-75 on
tamron 11-18
sony 18-200
and flash gun

although as it fitted only over the right shoulder in design and with it getting heavy to carry, something like a normal shoulder bag might be better

Ended up buying a second hand Kata bag which will hopefully do the trick.

Six lenses up now, one to go. Or maybe two if the 105mm Macro takes my fancy, or three if the 35mm 1.8 gets the better of me :D

only 16 days till i get my nikon d90 (I can be caught stroking the box on occasion) it should 20 days but I have decided that I NEED it for christmas day so will take it out for a long walk on my birthday instead !!!!!

Oh dear i've become a member of this thread. Been wanting my 1st Dslr for years well i've only gone and placed a collect at store order with Jessops for a D90 and SB600.

Wonder if i'll be sleeping in the tent tonight. Picking up after work so should have in hands by 8pm ish

Ended up buying a second hand Kata bag which will hopefully do the trick.

Six lenses up now, one to go. Or maybe two if the 105mm Macro takes my fancy, or three if the 35mm 1.8 gets the better of me :D

can you tell me whats the point of owning 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and then purchasing a Nikon 35mm f/1,8 or are you just collecting lenses? lol

Also how do you rate the sigma 70-300mm? i`ve heard its poor and have heard that the nikon 55-200mm is better in IQ apart from the reach

can you tell me whats the point of owning 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and then purchasing a Nikon 35mm f/1,8 or are you just collecting lenses? lol

Also how do you rate the sigma 70-300mm? i`ve heard its poor and have heard that the nikon 55-200mm is better in IQ apart from the reach

I'm a big lover of prime lenses, but if I buy the 35 and like it, I'd probably get rid of the 30, but I'm a long way off buying it anyway, there's other glass and accessories I need well before buying that particular lens. The 50 will soon be traded in for the 1.4 version though.

As for the Sigma, I've heard it's soft at the longer end but I really need the extra range as I've only got 200mm at the moment. However, I've decided to try and shift that and if I do I'll be getting the Nikon 70-300 VR instead, otherwise the Sigma will make do for the time being.

i've got the 50mm f1.8 and love it

great little lens for the price and image quality just blows the kit lens away

just need to get use to it alittle more, as i find it can end up locking/focusing on objects you don't want, as i've never had a prime before.

took it to a wedding as the only lens, and think a 35mm would have been better, but i'm looking for a versatile lens to replace the kit lens at the moment

just need to get use to it alittle more, as i find it can end up locking/focusing on objects you don't want, as i've never had a prime before.

How are you autofocusing? Are you using 3D tracking?

yeah

generally most shots are good, but maybe because my subject is my 4 month old son with toys hanging around his face makes it a little more tricky

also the 50mm is pin sharp to me with the sb600 bouncing off ceiling indoors

yeah

generally most shots are good, but maybe because my subject is my 4 month old son with toys hanging around his face makes it a little more tricky

also the 50mm is pin sharp to me with the sb600 bouncing off ceiling indoors

If you use 3d tracking then it will go all over the place, when doing portraits I always use a single af area on the eyes. Also, you have to remember that when at f/8, you're going to get a bokeh effect so the whole image won't be in focus. As long as you get the eyes you should be ok. It's a nightmare sometimes when stopping down to 1.4!

nice one, i'll keep that in mind

took it to a wedding as the only lens, and think a 35mm would have been better, but i'm looking for a versatile lens to replace the kit lens at the moment

I love my 50mm too. Surely one of the best value for money lenses you can get! Am looking into the Sigma 70-300 for that extra reach now. Apparently quite poor in bad light conditions but good apart from that (has a nice macro facility too) and also seems very reasonable from the prices I've seen online.

I love my 50mm too. Surely one of the best value for money lenses you can get! Am looking into the Sigma 70-300 for that extra reach now. Apparently quite poor in bad light conditions but good apart from that (has a nice macro facility too) and also seems very reasonable from the prices I've seen online.

I'm now looking towards the Nikon 70-300, everywhere I look I read the same reports of the Sigma being soft at the 300mm end. No arguing with the price though.

if i needed the reach, i would go for a nikon 70-300 vr.
currently still holding out for a nikon 18-200vr, in hope it's not softer than the 18-105vr kit lens

I'm now looking towards the Nikon 70-300, everywhere I look I read the same reports of the Sigma being soft at the 300mm end. No arguing with the price though.

My friend has one on his D700 and has some nice images, I'll have to ask him about the softness at 300mm though.

It's purely a money thing for me as it's not a lens I'll be using most of the time. Would just be nice when I know I need the extra zoom, like when I took some pics of the deer in Richmond Park last weekend. The vast majority of my shots will be with the 24-70, which is my walkabout lens. If I had the money I'd defo go Nikon.

anyone any experience of the kit lens vs the 18-200vr?

anyone any experience of the kit lens vs the 18-200vr?

i read this:
"18-200mm is more versatile but is also softer and has more distortion than the 18-105mm lens.
Stick to your 18-105mm lens. It is lighter, sharper and has less distortion.
"

how true is this?

I've never used it but when looking into buying one back when I had my D60 it appeared that it was a good all round lens, but a bit soft at the longer end.

Back