D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Not long had my D90. Well impressed. Not used it much as I have been a bit busy. Got the kit 18-105 and also the 50mm f/1.8. I do like wildlife photography so MAY get the 70-300 VR. I was also contemplating the 35mm prime but may wait to see if I NEED that.

New to DSLRs but had an SLR before. Bought these two books from Amazon that look good. For me the D90 manual is a reference rather than a light read :)

Mastering the D90: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-N...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263998572&sr=1-3

Book of Digital Photography: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/190581464X/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Hope the latter will give me more of an insight into digital rather than film photography. Now all I need is some time!!!!

Not long had my D90. Well impressed. Not used it much as I have been a bit busy. Got the kit 18-105 and also the 50mm f/1.8. I do like wildlife photography so MAY get the 70-300 VR. I was also contemplating the 35mm prime but may wait to see if I NEED that.

New to DSLRs but had an SLR before. Bought these two books from Amazon that look good. For me the D90 manual is a reference rather than a light read :)

Mastering the D90: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-N...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263998572&sr=1-3

Book of Digital Photography: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/190581464X/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Hope the latter will give me more of an insight into digital rather than film photography. Now all I need is some time!!!!

For wildlife instead of 70-300 VR I would reccomend you to buy 300mm f/4 lens. It is much more sharper at 300mm that 70-300 VR is.

It's only for casual really. I considered the 300 f/4 but it's fixed whereas the 70-300 gives some flexibility if you don't always want 300.

What D90 books do people recommend? Had mine for a while now and am familiar with the basics so looking for something that gives a good idea of the more advanced functions.

No one able to recommend a D90 book that deals with the more advanced features then?

By more advanced I mean I don't want lengthy chapters on the basic modes, ISO and white balance but would like more about flash, focus, etc etc.

What D90 books do people recommend? Had mine for a while now and am familiar with the basics so looking for something that gives a good idea of the more advanced functions

No one able to recommend a D90 book that deals with the more advanced features then?

By more advanced I mean I don't want lengthy chapters on the basic modes, ISO and white balance but would like more about flash, focus, etc etc.

OK OK I get the message, I'll just have to go browse the bookshops then:crying:

Bought myself a Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens today for my D90.
El Corte Ingles were doing 10% off all Nikon lenses and flashes. I couldn't resist.

Bought myself a Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens today for my D90.
El Corte Ingles were doing 10% off all Nikon lenses and flashes. I couldn't resist.

Have fun wit that lens, for the money it's a really good buy. The effect of the VR is very noticable, as I'm sure you've already erm... well... noticed :D

Hi All :wave:

This is my first post in the D90 thread,
I only recently upgraded to the D90 from a D60 and the difference is incredible, so glad i made the move.
I focus most of my efforts on photographing Bike sport, some occasional wildlife and family snaps/days out,
My kit - D90, 18-105VR kit lens, Nikon 50mm 1.8,
Nikon 16-85VR, Nikon 70-300 VR, SB400 flash, Lowepro MicroTrekker 200.
So
I'm looking for recommendations on a faster low light lens for the sports stuff was thinking maybe 2.8 but would be very interested in your suggestions / experiences.

Scoobs:)

Last edited:
Depends on your budget, but the Nikon 70-200 2.8 and the Sigma 120-300 2.8 are popular choices (I'm on the look out for the sigma)

Have fun

Last edited:
TBH i would go for the 70-200 f2.8 nikon vr (not saying if I or II is better) as you would use it alot more than the sigma 120-300. Then again i tried most lenses and until something produces a big jump in picture qaulity over what i get now i wont be buying much soon (buying better kit wont improve your pics by much).

Have fun wit that lens, for the money it's a really good buy. The effect of the VR is very noticable, as I'm sure you've already erm... well... noticed :D
Would you recommend this lens over the 70-200 for wildlife?
Im thinking about this one myself, as I do a fair bit of zoom photography. I dont have the budget for the 2.8 thoough.

It depends how far away you are from your subject... 300mm isn't very long for wildlife and its only f5.6 so shutter speeds are much slower than at 70mm.

Whilst it's a great lens, i'd put it's wildlife capabilities down as garden or park, rather than using it in a hide... it just doesn't have enough reach. Someone on here has used a Sigma 1.4 tele-converter with this lens, with some success, but then the apature drops to 6.3 giving even slower shutter speeds.

The big advantage that the f2.8 lenses have is the ability to use tele-converters properly... I think the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 becomes a 98-280 f4 and the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 becomes a 168-420 f4... for considerably less money than a prme 400mm f4 lens would be.

I'm seriously considering the Sigma at the moment, with a view to getting the 1.4x too.

Depends on your budget, but the Nikon 70-200 2.8 and the Sigma 120-300 2.8 are popular choices (I'm on the look out for the sigma)

Have fun

Sadly both out of my budget at the moment, if I go Nikon it will be non VR and second hand.

I said bike sport in my original post perhaps i should have been a little more specific as the tendency is to think Track days, superbikes ect,

I attend and ride motorcycle trials events and classic motocross racing both of which you get pretty close to the action,
Location wise the trials are spread over large expanses of moors and hill tops so a big heavy lens is not ideal or even needed i think,
for the motocross again you can get pretty close but i wonder if at the wide end of the 70-200 would it be wide enough to capture say five abreast at that first corner or would i be better with a 17-55 f2.8 or would that be too short ?
Anyone with experience of shooting this type of event or something similar ?

H..:thinking:

There are a lot on here who shot motorsport, I've just spent the best part of a day with around 7 other togs at a track day at Oulton Park... here's the link to my pics...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=198219

Ok, so it was cars not bikes, but you get the idea. I'm positoned on the inside of Druids, and shooting at around the 100-150 mark, although these have then been cropped to fill the frame.

I think you'd struggle with a 17-55 to be honest and I think you'll soon be wanting more. What about the 18-105 kit lens...? you get the best of both worlds if you're close enough to the action and you get VR... there's always some availabel 2nd hand as it's the first thing people upgrade, keep an eye on the classifieds in here too, stuff is uploaded all the time.

Feel free to ask any more q's :)

Last edited:
My D90 with an 18-55 from Park Cameras, not the cheapest around but a dealer I know from way back.

It must be at least 15 years since I last had a SLR and boy how they have changed.

I'm only on page 1 of the manual/book and already my brain hurts :thinking:

This morning I'm off to buy 'D90 for Dummies' lets see if that helps.

Dave

can't believe how much they are these days from when i was in currys

glad i got mine when i did

Great to see this thread is still alive and well.

Hope there's been plenty of useful info for owners

Joining the 'D90 club thread', replacing my faithful D80 I took the plunge and bought a D90 body last week (boxed, mint, <3000 clicks, 8 months old, etc.) for £420 colleceted. I got the original receipt and the 2-year guarentee is blank.
A bargain in anyone's books, especially as my D80 grip was fully compatible with it :)

First impressions are very positive, especially after using the Ken Rockwell user guide to set it up and get familiar with features the D80 didn't have. An immediate setting I did was to have it call up the Menu when the 'Prog Funct button' button was pressed, and have followed Ken's advice in 90% of his recommendations through this invaluable PDF guide, including leaving the ISO to auto.

Although I thought LV would be a 'gimmicky' thing, I can see me using it most of the time for set-up adjustments before shooting, low-down shots, exploiting the 'My Menu', etc... Talking of which, the following is what I've set My Menu to contain (in order of preference), but am keen to understand other nifty settings to have in it therefore what have you set yours up to hold :thinking:

1. Set Picture Control
2. AF-area mode
3. ISO sensitivity settings
4. Assign AE-L/AF-L button
5. Exposure daelay mode
6. Active D-Lighting
7. Built-in AF-assist illuminator
8. Image review

Just thought I'd say hi.

Just upgraded my D70 to a D90 and can't believe the difference. Just in noise at higher ISOs let alone the rest of the great new bits.

It's left me not knowing what to do with my D70 really, planned on keeping it as a second body but somehow I don't think it will get used that much now.

Also got a few lenses but looking at upgrading and replacing most.

After ordering a Sigma 10-20mm in the next week or so for a trip planned in march then hopefully later in the year when funds allow add a Nikon 70-200!

Forgive me D90-lovers for I have sinned... I put my D90 up for sale! :eek:

But then I saw the error of my ways :clap:

I just can't justify a D300s when the D90 does 95% of the job in a smaller, lighter package. For half the price.

I'm sorry I doubted you my dear D90 :love:

:D

Forgive me D90-lovers for I have sinned... I put my D90 up for sale! :eek:

But then I saw the error of my ways :clap:

I just can't justify a D300s when the D90 does 95% of the job in a smaller, lighter package. For half the price.

I'm sorry I doubted you my dear D90 :love:

:D

Time to edit your signature then :LOL:

Have just this second ordered my D90.

I questioned for ages which lens to get with it and in the end decided to opt for the Nikon kit lens over the Tamron and Sigma models, not a badge snob but thought I'd have less chance of a 'poor copy'

Narrowly missed out on a 16-85 lens on ebay and cant imagine how spending almost 3 times as much on a new one would make for photos 3 times as crisp as the kit lens.

Also just picked up a 70-300 VR in the for sale forum on this site so am all set to go.

Expect to see a very good camera in the D60 go up for sale very soon, I just couldnt help myself and I've upgraded a few months earlier than I thought I would.

Cant wait to recieve it now.

Dan

Im having a bit of a "moment" looking to set up back button autofocus on my D90. Is the D90 capable and if so, how is this set up. Tried the manual but for some reason I cant see the answer (which is probably there before my eyes and more simple than I think!!)

Can anyone advise? - Thanks

Im having a bit of a "moment" looking to set up back button autofocus on my D90. Is the D90 capable and if so, how is this set up....

AFAIK the D90 doesn't have an AF-ON button. However all's not lost as you can program the AF-L/AE-L button to function the same as the AF-ON button (Custom Settings / 'f' (Controls) / 'f4' (Assign AE-L/AF-L button). If you've got a grip fitted then you can leave that to what AF/AE setting and go to 'a' (autofocus) / 'a6' to assign the function of the AF-L/AE-L button on that instead (y)

Likewise with the live view, I've just trekked in the Rainforest in New South Wales and found both Live view AND video extremely handy for setting up and note taking.

Sunday saw me use the D90 for the first time properly since I bought it in November, other than the few I took on Remembrance Sunday. By properly I mean non-work stuff that didn't involve posed portraits.

I fell in love with it even more, I attempted some street photography for the first time around London and had an absolute ball. I used auto ISO and was so impressed with how easily it handled ISO1600 with very little to no noise, I'd never have guessed it was that high without looking at the EXIF data. The images are in my flickr link below.

Can't wait to do it again, still learning so much about this beauty and hope to really start pushing it to its limits. I still yearn for a D700 but this camera just gets better.

Back