D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Just wanted to pop on here and say I got my D90 today. :D

My first DSLR, so I'm quite excited!

Suggestions on a good book to help me learn how to use it?

Well done for buying the best camera in the world :D

I can recommend two books - well the first one is an ebook:

Thom Hogan's "Complete Guide To The Nikon D90"
Darrel Young's "Mastering The Nikon D90"

Both are excellent value for money. You have to buy Thom's book from him direct, so there's no saving by shopping around but with Darrel's book the prices vary incredibly depending where you look. I think WH Smith is currently the cheapest at £13. :)

Both are excellent value for money. You have to buy Thom's book from him direct, so there's no saving by shopping around but with Darrel's book the prices vary incredibly depending where you look. I think WH Smith is currently the cheapest at £13. :)
Thanks. :D

Hi, I'm thinking about a 70-200 f/2.8 lens for my D90. What is your opinion on the Tammy?

i'd be interested in replies to this as well... obviously would love a VRII, but not sure I can justify the expense, could get a Sigma/Tamron (non-VR) for about £1000 less (which is another secondhand D90 + a 50mm f1.4 + change!)

Haven't had my D90 long ( a few weeks) and did my first paid job, photographing a baby 2 weeks old. I have posted this elsewhere on the forum but thought I would show a couple of photos in here. I am so far VERY happy with the camera and VERY impressed with its low light ability

These were shot just using natural light inside a house and no tripod

baby26.jpg

liking this shot the most.
which lens was that with?

thanks guys much appreciated.

is the nikon sb.400 a good flash?

had one on the d40, perfect for indoor use, although only allows it to be tilted one way.

the sb600 is what i have now is more powerful and versatile, but it adds some weight

50mm f1.8 is great for portraits. Not sure what are you missing with that one?

85mm is good for portraits too if you're using Full Frame camera, but since D90 is not one it's just too long.

I'd use 50/1.8 for it has a wide enough Aperture for blurring the background.

I'm using Nikkor 35mm f1.8 for portraits and it's a wonderful lens. It's cheap and works as a 52mm on D90 which is fine for portraits.

I'd say you don't need another lens for what you need, because 50/1.8 should be enough. Or consider this 35/1.8 lens.

i have the nikon 50mm and 35mm prime.
the 50mm i got first as it was cheap, but it was too tight to use indoors which i take the most shots of (my baby) so got the 35mm which is cracking inside and out.

although i do miss having zoom

Cheers - Thom's ebook ordered (y)

liking this shot the most.
which lens was that with?

Sorry for the late reply...

It was taken with the 18 - 105 kit lens which seems really good (y)

Here are a few more

So to recap these were taken with Nikon D90 18-105mm kit lens and natural light (with reflector)

baby%20new1.jpg

baby%20new2.jpg

baby%20new3.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots John.

As a side note I finally got my hands on a d90 and its seems a whole apart from teh d50

sam

i'd be interested in replies to this as well... obviously would love a VRII, but not sure I can justify the expense, could get a Sigma/Tamron (non-VR) for about £1000 less (which is another secondhand D90 + a 50mm f1.4 + change!)

I have the Tammy 70-200mm 2.8 on my D90, the only negative I would say is the slow AF but if that's not an issue then a cracking lens for the price!

Not great but should give you an idea, these along with some others in my Flickr stream were shot with the lens http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogermbyrne/sets/72157625182619260/with/5090177502/

5090177502_e853f0f530.jpg

Last edited:
Hi

im looking to start as a black tie photographer next year and reading alot of the comments in the forums the majority of the cameras are 'over kill'

alot of the latest ones inc a video mode, this is totally unnecessary for my requirements and therefore get drawn to the d40

a d40 with 6 mp should be enough, but because its designed as 'your 1st' dslr has it got the stamina and the build quality required for event work?

i have read a few reports stating its apparent weakness on that side

d90 is a camera im close to buying (still think its overkill though) does anyone know anything about wireless transfer of images with a d90 straight to laptop?

apparently the eye-fi has compatibility issues which is a shame as it supposedly works well with canons and is available at a reasonably cheap price

do you thing im buying the right camera? as it will solely be used for black tie photography

thanks all

hi Kully

I'd say one major factor in choosing a D90 over a D40/40x/60 for your use is going to be the lowlight capability. the D90 is really strong in this area.

i had a D60 for about a year or so, as my first DSLR... and it was perfect for learning how they work, etc. but I then found myself being limited by what it could do. So I upgraded to a second hand D90 (which you can get for around £500) and it was a brilliant move. I still have it a year on and is a great camera. I also have the Nikon grip for it (which will also make you look the part at the functions!)

you'll also want to budget to buy a flashgun, I'd recommend an SB600, or if you can stretch to it, an SB900.

hi Kully

I'd say one major factor in choosing a D90 over a D40/40x/60 for your use is going to be the lowlight capability. the D90 is really strong in this area.

i had a D60 for about a year or so, as my first DSLR... and it was perfect for learning how they work, etc. but I then found myself being limited by what it could do. So I upgraded to a second hand D90 (which you can get for around £500) and it was a brilliant move. I still have it a year on and is a great camera. I also have the Nikon grip for it (which will also make you look the part at the functions!)

you'll also want to budget to buy a flashgun, I'd recommend an SB600, or if you can stretch to it, an SB900.

i appreciate your comments

i dont think low light will be an issue... with that in mind should i consider the 40/40x/60 ? can you still buy them new??

i appreciate your comments

i dont think low light will be an issue... with that in mind should i consider the 40/40x/60 ? can you still buy them new??

i'd give lowlight some serious thought, i'd imagine if you're going to be shooting black tie events they're primarily going to be in the evening.

the 90 is a world apart from a 40/60x/60 in terms of lowlight, and also flexibility. if you've no experience of DSLRs, then a 40/40x/60 is a perfect entry level camera, but you'll soon find that you are limited by what it can offer and will want to upgrade.

but as you're going into event photography and setting up business, i'd assume you have some experience with DSLRs already, in which case you'll want something just beyond entry level (eg. a d90)

i'd give lowlight some serious thought, i'd imagine if you're going to be shooting black tie events they're primarily going to be in the evening.

the 90 is a world apart from a 40/60x/60 in terms of lowlight, and also flexibility. if you've no experience of DSLRs, then a 40/40x/60 is a perfect entry level camera, but you'll soon find that you are limited by what it can offer and will want to upgrade.

but as you're going into event photography and setting up business, i'd assume you have some experience with DSLRs already, in which case you'll want something just beyond entry level (eg. a d90)

IS THE D90 NOT AS EASY TO USE AS THE OTHER 3

IS THE D90 NOT AS EASY TO USE AS THE OTHER 3

i don't know what experience of DSLRs you have, but there are more settings, buttons, customisable bits on a D90, so in essence, no :)

Hi all,

Just upgraded from a D50 to a D90 and so far I'm very impressed. Only done a few night shots but now I have a better camera I'm looking to expand my lens range.

I have:
Nikkor 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 D
Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 D

I'm looking for a "general" lens for portraits, landscapes etc up to £400 max that will probably replace the 28-105. One of the things bugging me is my little compact has an 18mm wide angle and I do miss that when taking shots with the 28-105. I keep thinking about what I'm missing - especially on indoor shots where there is no option to step back etc.

Also VR is something I would like and if it really is worth it I'd be prepared to wait and save a bit more to get it (in the special "bills" savings account) :naughty:

So should I buy something like the Sigma 17/70 f2.8-4 DC OS
Jessops £349
or would you recommend something else?

Thanks (y)

i don't know what experience of DSLRs you have, but there are more settings, buttons, customisable bits on a D90, so in essence, no :)

I disagree with that comment. Having owned a D40 before upgrading to the D90 (via the D80) I find the D90 easier to use because all the functions that you might want to change on a shot-to-shot basis (i.e. shutter speed/aperture/iso/focus mode/etc) are available via the discreet buttons whereas with the D40/40X/60 you have to go into the menu system to make many of those changes.

With a bit of practice you can soon make these changes without even taking your eye from the viewfinder on the D90.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the D40/40X/60 to be suitable for "professional" use - but that's just my opinion and yours may vary :)

JUST READ SOME GOOD REVIEWS ON THE D5000.... ANY THOUGHTS?

Kully, no offense meant but you appear to be wanting to set yourself up as a professional but don't want to spend the money to buy a professional camera.

No-one is going to take you seriously if you turn up with an entry level camera ... and yes, there will be someone there that knows the difference :)

Kully, no offense meant but you appear to be wanting to set yourself up as a professional but don't want to spend the money to buy a professional camera.

No-one is going to take you seriously if you turn up with an entry level camera ... and yes, there will be someone there that knows the difference :)

BUT ISNT THE PROOF IN THE QUAL OF THE PHOTO AND NOT THE CAMERA BEING USED TO CAPTURE THE PHOTO.....

I THINK THE D40 AT 6MP IS SUITABLE FOR BLACKTIE PRINTING AT 6X9... CANT SEE WHY YOU NEED 12 + MP... ITS COMPLETE OVERKILL !!!

AT THE SAME TIME IF A COUPLE OF PEOPLE DO RECOGNISE THAT YOU ARE USING AN ENTRY/MEDIUM RANGE CAMERA THEN I GUESS I LOSE 2 POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS..... IM AWARE OF THE SNOBBISHNESS IN THE PHOTOGRAPHY INDUSTRY BUT THE THE PAYING CUSTOMER IS SURELY PAYING FOR THE QUALITY OF THE PRINTS AND NOT THE SIZE OF THE CAMERA USED

Hi Kully,

Firstly please can I respectfully suggest not using CAPS all the time? It normally indicates the author is shouting at everyone and can inadvertently be taken the wrong way...

Secondly, having myself moved from a D50 to a D90, if you are serious about setting up this venture, I would highly recommend against a camera such as the D5000 as in 12 months you're going to be desperate for new features and will regret it. I certainly did. You end up longing for features you haven't got... As Bristolian says, having buttons for certain features makes it so much easier and is just one tiny selling point of the camera. I have a friend with a 12 month old D40 who also now wants to upgrade as he is looking for more features.

Also, you say photo quality, which I assume you are referring to the style/composition etc, but think also about noise levels, grain, potential for cropping etc.

Regards.

Last edited:
I too agrree that the D90 is easier to use than the D40 iv had both as other ops have...its not only the functions of the camera, size etc its the lenses, i dont think the other 3 have motorised bodies meaning you have to buy lenses with motors in (more expence).

In my opinion if your going to take this on then i highyl recomend the D90 as a minimum. you will regret it as above with the low light issues you will probably face.

Do you have any body local who you can try their cameras?

Hi Kully,

Firstly please can I respectfully suggest not using CAPS all the time? It normally indicates the author is shouting at everyone and can inadvertently be taken the wrong way...

Secondly, having myself moved from a D50 to a D90, if you are serious about setting up this venture, I would highly recommend against a camera such as the D5000 as in 12 months you're going to be desperate for new features and will regret it. I certainly did. You end up longing for features you haven't got... As Bristolian says, having buttons for certain features makes it so much easier and is just one tiny selling point of the camera. I have a friend with a 12 month old D40 who also now wants to upgrade as he is looking for more features.

Also, you say photo quality, which I assume you are referring to the style/composition etc, but think also about noise levels, grain, potential for cropping etc.

Regards.

the question is... am i 'upgrading' to a d90 for business reasons i.e better quality of image delivered in a point and shoot style, or is it because i have a passion for photography and d90 is a camera i would love to explore with??

i know im sticking to my point but i feel its for good reasons..... to clarify what features would i actually need that i wouldnt allready have on a d5000.. (as im pointing and shooting once your lighting is set up), i intend to ply my trade at wedding receptions - from what i have seen you havent got time to do anything but direct the subject (pose) and then shoot and get them to a viewing station as others are waiting to have theirs pics taken.

there will be little (prob non existant) pp involved. cant see why there would be noise or grain as the conditions for my shoot are good as they have been pre determined

there are photographers i have spoken with and they have a successful workflow using d40, d3000 and alike.... im not saying that those cameras and the d5000 are the be and end all.. but i dont want to spend £££ more on a camera which is unnessecary for the job....

have i started to labour the point???

thanks for the earlier comments guys (y)

It appears that you are basing your purchasing judgement on little more than guesswork :thinking:

I think the vast majority of users, on this forum, would state that the D40 is not suitable for professional use. By all means, buy one to start learning your photographic trade, but I guarantee that you'll upgrade sooner rather than later.

The D90 is an excellent camera and would not be regarded as "overkill" for professional use.

Ultimately, it's your money, your business, your decision. But if you asking for advice, I'd recommend listening to it and acting on it.

If not, please come back in a few months, so we can all tell you "we told you so" :D

Have a look at a used D300. TBH it's just as easy to learn as the D40 would be but will grow with your skills and it's also built to last.

The D40 is good but even with the best lens the IQ won't match a D90. 12mp also gives you the ability to crop tighter if you have too.

Don't forget, you'll need a flash of some sort, an SB800 would suffice to start with as indoor events can push even a D3s to the edge.

You also mention no PP. Surely you will be shooting RAW (NEF) to get the best possible results?

It appears that you are basing your purchasing judgement on little more than guesswork :thinking:

I think the vast majority of users, on this forum, would state that the D40 is not suitable for professional use. By all means, buy one to start learning your photographic trade, but I guarantee that you'll upgrade sooner rather than later.

The D90 is an excellent camera and would not be regarded as "overkill" for professional use.

Ultimately, it's your money, your business, your decision. But if you asking for advice, I'd recommend listening to it and acting on it.

If not, please come back in a few months, so we can all tell you "we told you so" :D

thanks for your comments, have taken them on board

Have a look at a used D300. TBH it's just as easy to learn as the D40 would be but will grow with your skills and it's also built to last.

The D40 is good but even with the best lens the IQ won't match a D90. 12mp also gives you the ability to crop tighter if you have too.

Don't forget, you'll need a flash of some sort, an SB800 would suffice to start with as indoor events can push even a D3s to the edge.

You also mention no PP. Surely you will be shooting RAW (NEF) to get the best possible results?

I dont intend to spend too much time pp,

flash not neccessary as setting up a 3 light system.... but appreciate your comments esp about the IQ

thanks (y)

BUT ISNT THE PROOF IN THE QUAL OF THE PHOTO AND NOT THE CAMERA BEING USED TO CAPTURE THE PHOTO.....

I THINK THE D40 AT 6MP IS SUITABLE FOR BLACKTIE PRINTING AT 6X9... CANT SEE WHY YOU NEED 12 + MP... ITS COMPLETE OVERKILL !!!

AT THE SAME TIME IF A COUPLE OF PEOPLE DO RECOGNISE THAT YOU ARE USING AN ENTRY/MEDIUM RANGE CAMERA THEN I GUESS I LOSE 2 POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS..... IM AWARE OF THE SNOBBISHNESS IN THE PHOTOGRAPHY INDUSTRY BUT THE THE PAYING CUSTOMER IS SURELY PAYING FOR THE QUALITY OF THE PRINTS AND NOT THE SIZE OF THE CAMERA USED

Kully,

As I said, I don't want to rattle your cage but I didn't say the IQ of the D40 wouldn't be good enough ~ I have one as a second body and love it almost as much as the D90 ~ it's the perception your clients (or their guests) will have when they see you using an entry level consumer body. It's nothing to do with snobbishness in the industry but everything to do with client perception ~ bigger is better? You and I know this isn't (necessarily) the case but we're not employing you or buying your pictures, some numpty with a predetermined (incorrect) impression is.

It's not just an issue of Mpx ~ that's the point and shoot camera marketing arguement ~ but you need to consider everything else - low light performance, what lenses you can use, cropability, etc.

Bang for buck you can't beat the D90 :)

Kully,

As I said, I don't want to rattle your cage but I didn't say the IQ of the D40 wouldn't be good enough ~ I have one as a second body and love it almost as much as the D90 ~ it's the perception your clients (or their guests) will have when they see you using an entry level consumer body. It's nothing to do with snobbishness in the industry but everything to do with client perception ~ bigger is better? You and I know this isn't (necessarily) the case but we're not employing you or buying your pictures, some numpty with a predetermined (incorrect) impression is.

It's not just an issue of Mpx ~ that's the point and shoot camera marketing arguement ~ but you need to consider everything else - low light performance, what lenses you can use, cropability, etc.

Bang for buck you can't beat the D90 :)

what do you know about eye-fi and d90 ?

apparently they dont work well together as there are known problems (which the eye-fi manufacturers will openly admit to)

what an absurd comment!!! :LOL:

the question is... am i 'upgrading' to a d90 for business reasons i.e better quality of image delivered in a point and shoot style, or is it because i have a passion for photography and d90 is a camera i would love to explore with??

i know im sticking to my point but i feel its for good reasons..... to clarify what features would i actually need that i wouldnt allready have on a d5000.. (as im pointing and shooting once your lighting is set up), i intend to ply my trade at wedding receptions - from what i have seen you havent got time to do anything but direct the subject (pose) and then shoot and get them to a viewing station as others are waiting to have theirs pics taken.

there will be little (prob non existant) pp involved. cant see why there would be noise or grain as the conditions for my shoot are good as they have been pre determined

there are photographers i have spoken with and they have a successful workflow using d40, d3000 and alike.... im not saying that those cameras and the d5000 are the be and end all.. but i dont want to spend £££ more on a camera which is unnessecary for the job....

have i started to labour the point???

thanks for the earlier comments guys (y)

I dont intend to spend too much time pp,

flash not neccessary as setting up a 3 light system.... but appreciate your comments esp about the IQ

thanks (y)

oh dear
oh dear oh dear
oh dear oh dear oh dear

if you're going to do evening events, weddings and set up a business, you will need a minimum of:

- D90
- a flashgun (at least one)
- and post production time (how else are you going to edit photos and create an album for the B&G)

I think you'd better do a bit more research before you start up... we wouldn't want you falling at the 1st hurdle being ill-prepared

£575 for a used D90 and the official Nikon grip, good deal?

No idea how many clicks but they are both boxed and complete and in very good condition.

Back