D90 Owners Thread - Anything D90 related

Yeah it sounds like a good deal, so I ordered it this morning. :LOL:

Should be here tomorrow, woop!

Hi,

The wife wants to get a camcorder to film our new son for his grand parents to see (we don't live near any family). My question is, does the D-movie mode cut the mustard, or do I want to be looking for a dedicated camcorder. I see this as the perfect chance to upgrade to a D90, but the wife will go nuts if I shell out for one and the movie mode isn't too good. Would like to know peoples experiences with the movie mode and where better than the D90 owners thread.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi,

The wife wants to get a camcorder to film our new son for his grand parents to see (we don't live near any family). My question is, does the D-movie mode cut the mustard, or do I want to be looking for a dedicated camcorder. I see this as the perfect chance to upgrade to a D90, but the wife will go nuts if I shell out for one and the movie mode isn't too good. Would like to know peoples experiences with the movie mode and where better than the D90 owners thread.

Thanks,

Dan

The movie mode is generally quite good quality, but it doesn't autofocus in movie mode so you can't just point and shoot. Manual focus means you can get some quite arty shots, but it's a pain if you just want to grab a quick clip of something. Have a look on Youtube for examples.

You're also limited to ~5 minute shots in HD (I think) as the sensor gets hot in live view.

I wouldn't buy the D90 for video. Sounds like you'd be better off with a proper camcorder TBH.

So, what did you get, Dan ?

Santa has just delivered my xmas prezzies.....

D90 Gripped
Spare Battery
2 x 8GB Extreme SDHC Cards
Nikon AFS 35mm 1.8
Nikon AFS 18-105mm Kit Lens
Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro
Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 Telephoto Lens.

Now I need to charge batteries ready for a play.... Will need help and advice later i'm sure.

Happy New Year to Everyone.

Santa has just delivered my xmas prezzies.....

D90 Gripped
Spare Battery
2 x 8GB Extreme SDHC Cards
Nikon AFS 35mm 1.8
Nikon AFS 18-105mm Kit Lens
Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro
Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 Telephoto Lens.

Now I need to charge batteries ready for a play.... Will need help and advice later i'm sure.

Happy New Year to Everyone.

WOW - Santa is bloody generous round your way !!

I wouldn't know which lens to try first :thinking:

Have fun - it's a cracking piece of kit (y)

EDIT - get the D90 Guide by Thom Hogan - best $49 you'll spend on your camera. (800+ page PDF, plus a handy reference book to keep in your kit bag along with workflow videos and lens test cards etc). Takes a while to arrive from Canada, but well worth the cash IMHO.

http://www.bythom.com/nikond90guide.htm

Last edited:
@ Daniel.

Had to sell all my sony gear to pay for my wife's medical expenses, her brother who owns his own company said I should'nt have and very kindly reimbursed me. Thus as this was a once in a life time opportunity I researched what I wanted, I wont be buying anything major for quite some time.

I will take my time getting to know the in's & out's of the D90, hopefully having my questions answered by the nice people on this forum when the need arises.

@ Daniel.

Had to sell all my sony gear to pay for my wife's medical expenses, her brother who owns his own company said I should'nt have and very kindly reimbursed me. Thus as this was a once in a life time opportunity I researched what I wanted, I wont be buying anything major for quite some time.

I will take my time getting to know the in's & out's of the D90, hopefully having my questions answered by the nice people on this forum when the need arises.

(y) to you and :clap: to your brother-in-law.

Enjoy every minute with your new gear and fire away with the questions... I am sure someone on here will be able to answer anything you need to know.

Daniel.

Got a nice new shiney D90 the other day, spent most of last night getting used to the numerous menu options!!!
Looking forward to playing with it. Got the CLS to work remotely with my sb600 first go too!!

Joe

Joining the ranks of D90 owners, had mine for a couple of weeks . . . trouble is work, weather, aches, pains and the season, have conspired to keep me in doors or otherwise occupied:|

Looking forward to better times in 2011, wish you all a prosperous new year(y)

CJS

i also joined the d90 club in December. i upgraded from a D40 which was a great little camera.

im still learning and would like some recommendations to what i should add to my kit.

i currently have:
D90 Body
Nikkor 18-55 VR lens
Tamron 70-300 lens
2 UV filters
2 batteries
1 bag
1 lens cleaning pen
jessops carbon fibre tripod

I look at some of the shots taken with the D90 on this forum and they amaze me i cant seem to get anything close to some of the shots you guys take.

I am about to buy a d90 to replace my d60 I have the 18-55 vr and the 55 -200 vr now I can have the d90 with the 18 105 vr for about £60 more than body only .Is it a good idea to get the 18 105 and sell the 18 55 with the possibility that I will find that I don’t use the 55 -200 at all and then have that to sell and fund some other kit

my D90 arrived on friday so im a member of this club now.

A couple of things - can anyone recommend a good guide to buy for this from ebay/amazon etc.

Also, any thoughts on really cheap old manual focus lenses to mess about with?

got mine in december after selling my d60 wow what a difference also got a 50mm for it brilliant lens.
now looking to get a new tele lens i have the tamron 70-300 that come with my d60 kit.

Im undecided on the 70-300 vr or the sigma 150-500 but some people say the sigma is a great lens and others are reporting poor pictures from it.

Just dont no what to do.

A couple of things - can anyone recommend a good guide to buy for this from ebay/amazon etc.

Welcome to the club (y)

I bought the 'Complete Guide to the Nikon D90' by Thom Hogan.
It's quite pricey at $49 (delivered from Canada) and it takes a couple of weeks, but you get a 800+ page PDF of EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know on CD, plus a pocket guide (100 pages IIRC) that you can pop into your kit bag, plus a couple of video files showing how to use the Nikon software etc. Bloody bargain IMHO.

http://bythom.com/nikond90guide.htm

(y)

welcome to the club

Hi all, im a new recruit to the D90 clan and wanted to say that first impressions of the camera is 'wow'

Very impressed with it and only played around for 20 mins. Tonight will be mainly taken up with me reading the handbook and taking pictures until my wife gets seriously annoyed with me lol!!!

Finally made the jump to Nikon (from Olympus)

Treated myself to a brand new D90 (with 18-105), 50mm 1.8, battery grip and a sb600.

Going to take a while to get used to it as it's a big change from the Olympus (even the lenses screw on the opposite way! lol) but i can see a massive improvement over my e500 already.

Last edited:
I've just treated myself to a new D90, my first foray into dslr and into all things Nikon having been a Canon and Pentax film slr user in the past.
I won't have chance to play with it for a day or so but first impressions, build quality, fit & finish etc are very good compared to the Canon I looked at (550D).

Finally made the jump to Nikon (from Olympus)

Treated myself to a brand new D90 (with 18-105), 50mm 1.8, battery grip and a sb600.

Going to take a while to get used to it as it's a big change from the Olympus (even the lenses screw on the opposite way! lol) but i can see a massive improvement over my e500 already.

Considering getting a battery grip for my d90.

Did you get the nikon one or an ebay clone?

I have upgraded from d5000 to the d90 today.
Im using 17-50 f2.8 tamron need to get one more to go with it, and some spare batterys.

I have seen some battery grips on ebay does it matter what brand of battery grip you use or should it only be nikon? Im looking to buy one.

Last edited:
I dont think it matters, Mieke are a good "budget" brand, i believe thats the one i've got....Can be bought for £40ish if i remember correctly......

I have seen some battery grips on ebay does it matter what brand of battery grip you use or should it only be nikon?

Just sold my Nikon Mb-D80 as with many others I love the grip but the Nikon one is known (and did for me) have contact issues, so you could be shooting along and it will just randomly turn off.

I would just go for one of the non brand ones...

The Link Delight one off eBay is good (and cheap)

Just got one of those after being recommended on here and it is very good, nice quality and took 14 days for delivery

Last edited:
Just got one of those after being recommended on here and it is very good, nice quality and took 14 days for delivery

I see Linkdelight do several different battery grips for the D90, any particular preference, or any to avoid?

Just done a re-set on my D90 a couple of days ago and thought I would have a look if there are any interesting set up guides out there.
I have found the Ken Rockwell guide http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/ that seems a bit overe the top colour and saturation wise having tried it?
Also found this http://www.outthereimages.com/images/D90_Setup_Guide.pdf which seems interesting.
Has anyone found any more or got any tips on setup?

If you shoot in RAW then none of the colour, saturation, etc settings matter they will only be applied to the in cam jpg.

After several weeks playing with a D200, I finally made a choice between the two and have invested in a D90 with the 18-105 kit lens earlier today.

First impressions on finally getting it home are very good. Can't wait for some time off work and decent weather to get out and about to try it out properly now! :)

I need a quick SD card for my D90. I shoot in Raw and mainly fast moving targets e.g boats, animals and birds. I have a 8gb class 6 card but I find it slows right down. I understand I can get 4.5fps but After few seconds I can't take as many shots. My understanding of this is the buffer is full? So If I have a class 10 card (for example) this would write quicker and thus not slowing down my shots. HELP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

The buffer can hold 9 RAW files before slowing down. IME After that you won't see much improvement even with a faster card.

Back