D90 vs D7000

D90 vd D7000

• Total voters
Overexposed . . . was a bit 'over the top' may be? However, he is, in essence right, dont run before you can walk. D90 can be simple, for instance it has preset options to help a novice with camera settings, 7000 does not, and yet, as you grow, D90 will take all the settings you want to put in . . . in other words, the 90 is a camera that will grow with your experience.

Ken Rockwell, says it as it is, he gets a little over excited sometimes, an example . . . reading KR you would think D7000; 'greatest thing since sliced bread' . . . D90 a couple of years ago, 'dont bother with any other camera' . . . :bonk: However, if you dig deeper into his text, he does get to grips with issues, says it as it is . . . but has some wacky ideas IMHO about camera setting in particular?

The problem with Ken . . . if you are new to picture taking, you wont know what is 'KR's' good sense and what is Ken running of at a tangent? Read Ken Rockwell, and spit out the bones . . . (y)

CJS

Actually the d7000 does have presets just not on the dial. you have to enter the menu to bring up all the presets (which i think are more than on the d90)

hhhmm, I've had a look at Ken's site.

As suspected he points to the D3100

After asking lots of people without an idea of what I wanted, the standard answer was:
"go into shop and see what feels good"

I can say the larger bodies felt better in my hands, hence one of the reasons I chose Nikon over Canon.
The other reason being the usability of the button layout, dedicated buttons and dials.

I may be a noob, but am in no way a technophobe.

Funnily enough, I was near a Currys today...so I went in, with "hurry up" ringing in my ears...

Here's what happened:

Picked up the D7000- felt lovely in my hands
Picked up the D90 next, felt nice too.
I skipped the D5000 & picked up the D3100, which I put down pretty quick as it felt so small in my hands.
Passed the 500D & 550D
Picked up the 60D, felt really nice, but button layout had me putting it down pretty swiftly too.
Went back to D90 & D7000
My mobile rang....time to leave...

So I'm back to square one : D90 vs D7000

Last edited:
If you can afford the D7000 then why limit yourself - seriously I've always been a great believer in getting the best that you can afford because paying more initially is a lot more cheaper than starting lower down and then slowly climbing the expensive upgrade trek.

I went into a few camera shops when deciding what to get, i looked at the D5000 and the canon 500 and 550 and had the similar thoughts to you they didn`t feel that comfortable in my hands. I tried the 60d and loved the feel of that but really liked the d90 in my hands as well, i couldn`t justify spending any more than the cost of the d90 and pretty much felt that it would easily cope with what i wanted out of a camera for now and after having it for just a couple of weeks i know there is plenty of potential for creativity and learning in that camera. I`m sure you`d love a d90 if you got one, i`m really happy with my choice.

LOL, think about it ALL the time...

Thanks, for the reply, exactly what I needed to hear.

So, what would you recommend ?

&

Where's the Forum?
It confuses me more as some people speak highly of Ken and some others....let just say not so favorably.

Sesame
In my opinion you are getting to much in to the hype of it.
Go in to a proper Photography shop ( Not Currys or Comet) tell them what you want to do and take some proper advice about the way to gert started otherwise in 3 months time there'll be a D7000 on here in the classifieds being sold for a big loss. You really dont need to spend £1000 to get set up and take good photos!
I went back to a smaller body after a D90 beccause i was sick of the weight and size- you mention bodies without focusing motors - at your level it matters not one bit - look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 fantastic results for £300 and its got its own motor. Youve read too much and you really wont appreciate what youve bought. Buying a D7000 and putting it on scene mode is just silly - like buying a Ferrari California and employing a chauffeur

Sesame
Go in to a proper Photography shop ( Not Currys or Comet) tell them what you want to do and take some proper advice about the way to gert started otherwise in 3 months time there'll be a D7000 on here in the classifieds being sold for a big loss. You really dont need to spend £1000 to get set up and take good photos!
I went back to a smaller body after a D90 beccause i was sick of the weight and size- you mention bodies without focusing motors - at your level it matters not one bit - look at the Tamron 17-50 2.8 fantastic results for £300 and its got its own motor. Youve read too much and you really wont appreciate what youve bought. Buying a D7000 and putting it on scene mode is just silly - like buying a Ferrari California and employing a chauffeur

more like having him drive it and you go by bus looking at it through the window. and the car looking like an ugly frog doesn't help either ! :D

Sesame

I've been into Jacobs & Jessops too, I only went into Currys to have a hold.
Are these PROPER photography shops? They don't seem to be too bothered about advising the nest way forward for a beginner.
Maybe I should just go in and ask an open question about getting into photography?
when I did that in the past it started off at D3100 but ended up at 300S.

what do YOU think I should start with ?

I've been into Jacobs & Jessops too, I only went into Currys to have a hold.
Are these PROPER photography shops? They don't seem to be too bothered about advising the nest way forward for a beginner.
Maybe I should just go in and ask an open question about getting into photography?
when I did that in the past it started off at D3100 but ended up at 300S.

what do YOU think I should start with ?

Are you always this decisive? I'm imagining a trip to Baskin Robbins would probably see your head explode :LOL:

Currys is a good place to look at cameras on display to compare side by side, and you might hit it lucky and get someone who knows about cameras, but I never seemed to.

I went into Calumet when I was considering what body to get and they'd just had a Nikon seminar. So I got to look at a D7000 (this was before they were in the shops) and chat to a Nikon rep. The Nikon rep recommended the D90 for what I wanted, it has all the features I need (he did say if I wanted video to go for D7000 but I'm not interested in that). I'm really happy with my D90, it was the perfect choice for me.

Sesame - this bit is confusing, while you decide what camera to get - the thing is to get what's right for you. No harm in taking time to decide, once you do you'll feel confident you have the right tool for your needs and a camera that you love to use.

Sesame, how about this for an idea to hopefully make the decision more simple for you, and get you underway.

Can you afford to lose a couple of hundred quid or so, if you don't take to your new hobby? Say it takes you 3 months and a couple of hours a day to decide? Is at time worth £200 or so to you? Would you get £200 enjoyment from it?

If the answer is no, the you have a simple conclusion. Buy a 2nd hand D90 from the classifieds on here, and when you've decided whether photography is for you or not, you can do one of two things - sell the D90 for around what you paid for it, and buy a new D7000, or keep the D90 because you are happy with it.

Only you can decide what suits you best - asking everyone else is not putting a camera in your hands - you would be much better playing and learning than posting and asking!

I've just done something similar, as a point of reference (although I've been using a D700 for over a year, which I borrow from work, this purchase was my own money) - and aside from a problem I'm having with a lens, don't regret the move, but will likely trade up sometime in the new year. I will stress though that here is nothing wrong with the D90 at all - I will openly admit to being a "latest gadget" type of person. Why am I waiting until new year - simple, I expect a price drop on the D7000 will be coming. If I'm wrong I've not lost camera in my hand time!

Why a D90 or D7000 for me, coming from a D700? Simple, I wanted something smaller and lighter than the D700 to take on holidays etc. Also fancied trying out a crop camera too. The D700 with various lenses in a bag weighs much more than you are allowed to carry as hand luggage on charter flights!

Get one bought, and get learning......!

Last edited:
Great review, watching video reviews is definitely the way forward.

I'm not really bothered about the video, but also heard before that it has some room for improvement and definitely not the finished product yet.

More concerning was:

- The limitations in continuous shooting mode & buffer limitations as my interests lie in sports and action photography..

- Over exposing.

- Bracketing range limitations.

less importantly the 30fps exclusion

I may have to have another look at the 60D.

&

BTW, I don't like Ice Cream :LOL:

Last edited:
if continuos shooting is important then maybe you should look at the pentax cameras, Kr and K5 with 6 and 7 frames per second shooting.

This thread just keeps going, took me age to read through all that and if it were me trying to get advice i would be :thinking:

If i knew what i know now and was in your boat i would go d90 body only and the lenses i need. One thing i have learnt is buying and selling on to upgrade doesnt loose much £'s, other than houses i dont know anything else in this world you can buy then sell a yr later without much if any loss. I started with a brand new d40 and 1yr on sold it for the same as i paid, having no idea at all i found it a great camera to learn the basics before moving on to d90.

A great standard zoom to consider is the tamron 17-50 f2.8, its very close to the nikon 17-55vr but at a 3rd of the price and better than any kit lens. Regarding the longer lenses the 70-300vr is a great lens and i love mine but if buying for sports its not the fastest when the light is low, if sports are you thing then I can see £'s being spent to achieve the results. I thought about the nikon 70-200vr but in real world i decided it was TOO big and heavy which would have resulted in it being left at home more often than not, at the price of one of those that would be a pure waste, at least my 70-300vr fits in my slingshot along with my other kit and comes everywhere i go.

Good luck with you decision (y)

Sesame, how about this for an idea to hopefully make the decision more simple for you, and get you underway.

Can you afford to lose a couple of hundred quid or so, if you don't take to your new hobby? Say it takes you 3 months and a couple of hours a day to decide? Is at time worth £200 or so to you? Would you get £200 enjoyment from it?

If the answer is no, the you have a simple conclusion. Buy a 2nd hand D90 from the classifieds on here, and when you've decided whether photography is for you or not, you can do one of two things - sell the D90 for around what you paid for it, and buy a new D7000, or keep the D90 because you are happy with it.

Only you can decide what suits you best - asking everyone else is not putting a camera in your hands - you would be much better playing and learning than posting and asking!

I've just done something similar, as a point of reference (although I've been using a D700 for over a year, which I borrow from work, this purchase was my own money) - and aside from a problem I'm having with a lens, don't regret the move, but will likely trade up sometime in the new year. I will stress though that here is nothing wrong with the D90 at all - I will openly admit to being a "latest gadget" type of person. Why am I waiting until new year - simple, I expect a price drop on the D7000 will be coming. If I'm wrong I've not lost camera in my hand time!

Why a D90 or D7000 for me, coming from a D700? Simple, I wanted something smaller and lighter than the D700 to take on holidays etc. Also fancied trying out a crop camera too. The D700 with various lenses in a bag weighs much more than you are allowed to carry as hand luggage on charter flights!

Get one bought, and get learning......!

agreed 100%
that way you dont lose anything at all, if you wont more you will get back exactly what you paid for it (round about) and if it is fine then you have everything you need :)
get a basic lens and have a play, if you buy that second hand to then you really cant lose anything!
good luck, you'll enjoy whatever (y)

I can guarantee one thing though, whichever camera you buy you'll suffer buyer's remorse...

:LOL: I think you're right... :nuts:

After watching/reading the Cameralabs I looked at the D90 today.

£539 - D90 Body (price based on price-match)
£339 - 16-85mm (using Jacobs £50 Nikon Voucher scheme)
£151 - 35mm 18.D (using Jacobs £10 Nikon Voucher scheme)

£1029

vs

£1179 for D7000 18-105 kit

Last edited:
I was having a similar dileama, D90 or D300s.

It was either get the D300s and a couple of lens or get the D90 and choose what I wanted.

In the end I have just gone with a D90 & 18-105mm from Jessops @ £729, a 105mm f2.8 Nikkor Macro @ £605 and have managed to aquire a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 @ £380.

Christmas will be fun this year......

:LOL: I think you're right... :nuts:

After watching/reading the Cameralabs I looked at the D90 today.

£539 - D90 Body (price based on price-match)
£339 - 16-85mm (using Jacobs £50 Nikon Voucher scheme)
£151 - 35mm 18.D (using Jacobs £10 Nikon Voucher scheme)

£1029

vs

£1179 for D7000 18-105 kit

Of course, if you can wait a few weeks the price of the 7000 will probably drop a bit.....

Of course, if you can wait a few weeks the price of the 7000 will probably drop a bit.....

Do you really think so?

It's just dropped from £1299 to £1180 in the last couple of weeks.

Incidentally, John Lewis price matched BestCameras.co.uk.
JL price is still £1299 - they matched BC @ £1149

Has anybody any thoughts about buying from John Lewis, or is that a new thread?

Do you really think so?

It's just dropped from £1299 to £1180 in the last couple of weeks.

Incidentally, John Lewis price matched BestCameras.co.uk.
JL price is still £1299 - they matched BC @ £1149

Has anybody any thoughts about buying from John Lewis, or is that a new thread?

No problem buying from JL, I've bought 2 cameras from them in the past...

No problem buying from JL, I've bought 2 cameras from them in the past...

I've bought TV's and Kitchen Appliances from them in the past, using their price matching.

The just rang me back regarding my enquiry ...the said they would match Bestcameras.co.uk price & included accessories.
http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Nikon_D7000___Nikon_18-105_VR_lens.html
£1149 D7000 18-105mm Kit + 8GB Hi-Speed SD Card, Camera Bag & extra 1 year warranty = 3 years in total.

Incidentally,

Jacobs were not willing to Price Match HDEWCameras : http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/About-Us-1-w.asp
The said that HDEWC "must be" Grey Imports if they are selling at that price.
I rang HDEWC myself and was dealt with by a pleasant Sales person who assured their products were not Grey Imports and were all covered by the 2 year Nikon Warranty.
Jacobs were also not prepared to match the price for the 16-85 at Wilkinson Cameras & then apply their voucher discount.

Just thought I'd include for completeness...

p.s. I HOPE LINKS TO WEBSITE DEALS IS NOT PROHIBITED, APOLOGIES IF THIS IS THE CASE.

Last edited:
Sesame all`s gone quiet, have you bitten the bullet and parted with some cash, i`m sure we`d all like to know what you have gone for......

Interesting reading the recent postings . . . 7000 v 90 . . . ? I have been kicking this around in my mind for weeks:thinking:

Frankly, my requirements are for 'simple IQ', no knobs and whistles, easy operation, again, no extras to remember . . . The D90 was hailed as 'the best thing since sliced bread' at its price point, when launched . . . has the D7000 been given this accolade? The reviews seem to indicate issues, 'ifs, buts and maybe'? I would suggest we are being dragged into the computer world technology wise . . . does one really need it . . . out of date before you get it home :LOL: What on earth did we do before the digital revolution . . . how did we manage without mobile phones, computer games, hundreds of TV channels . . . :puke:

Personal view; do I really need mega-mega pixels, how much low light shooting do I do, I certainly have no use for video and since when have I needed 39 focus points. My only requirement is occasionally, to be able to use a couple of old heritage lenses . . . but to pay almost double!!!!! for the option of loading non CPU lens information? I dont think so.

. . . continue thinking, watch the firmware updates, RR prices, money back offers . . . 2011 is going to be a tough one . . . for some of us :shrug:

CJS

Last edited:
Interesting reading the recent postings . . . 7000 v 90 . . . ? I have been kicking this around in my mind for weeks:thinking:

Frankly, my requirements are for 'simple IQ', no knobs and whistles, easy operation, again, no extras to remember . . . The D90 was hailed as 'the best thing since sliced bread' at its price point, when launched . . . has the D7000 been given this accolade? The reviews seem to indicate issues, 'ifs, buts and maybe'? I would suggest we are being dragged into the computer world technology wise . . . does one really need it . . . out of date before you get it home :LOL: What on earth did we do before the digital revolution . . . how did we manage without mobile phones, computer games, hundreds of TV channels . . . :puke:

Personal view; do I really need mega-mega pixels, how much low light shooting do I do, I certainly have no use for video and since when have I needed 39 focus points. My only requirement is occasionally, to be able to use a couple of old heritage lenses . . . but to pay almost double!!!!! for the option of loading non CPU lens information? I dont think so.

. . . continue thinking, watch the firmware updates, RR prices, money back offers . . . 2011 is going to be a tough one . . . for some of us :shrug:

CJS

With all the above in mind . . . and constant searching, today, I came across a near new UK D90 . . . literally, a handful of shots only; £475.00!!! it would have been rude not to have accepted it! . . . :banana:

CJS

Her we go, after a lot of worrying and searching . . . first picture out of the camera, JPG, nothing don except a little 'sharpen':

1000chriscactusDSC_0012.jpg

I'm very pleased with the colour balance, previous Nikons including a D90 all needed tweaking in colour menu to get what I considered to be right. This shot is spot on, I have the plant beside me! However, I might try a little extra contrast . . . ?

It does not worry me to much as I shoot RAW/JPG but its nice to know a 'snapshot' will look OK.

The camera proved to have had no clicks registered! . . . a bargain or what? even if there are January sales, they will not come down anywhere near £475 . . . (y)

CJS

Back