Critique Dabbled in some food photography - further expanding my portfolio

Edit My Images
No
Please some constructive criticism, first food photo shoot at home as practice & for my portfolio to help expand my business.

My passion for photography is almost as huge as my passion for food, me and my girlfriend love getting busy in the kitchen. This is of some cullen skink we recently made and it really was so tasty, would be happy to share the recipe if anyone wants it.

Particularly interested in peoples thoughts on non-standard image sizes as there are a couple here which have been quite cropped for better composition.

One thing I have to say, without having a proper set I found it very difficult to compose a shot perfectly in camera and almost all my shots if I had been happy with them all) would have required some cropping or rotating to get how I wanted them.

Cheers for any comments in advance,

Earl

NKN_8357 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_8389 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_8388 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

NKN_8371 by ryan hollings, on Flickr

I'm no expert but looking straight down at it, as in the 1st shot, is not very appealing and 'looks' wrong.
As for the others, part of the main subject, the bowl of food, is slight OOF in parts, which again doesn't look right - to me anyway.

A good start though.

One more thing, in the last one I would remove the base of the glass that is sneaking into the photo.

I also felt I could have increased the DOF on some to encompass the entire subject - cheers Ploddles, much appreciated. The top down view I have seen recently on a load of menus and stuff so thought I would give it a try, I personally quite like the idea of it but I'm happy to take on the comments.

Very valid point regarding the base of the glass, one to think about in future - cheers.

*edit* sorry, is it the picture I have taken or the perspective you find odd? just for future reference pal, cheers again.

Cheers
Earl

Last edited:
Look pretty nice to me. I would be careful trying to balance the light fall-off and 'moodiness', with the risk of the food look dark and grubby (which the bread and chives are on the border of in the last couple I think). White balance appears to be a bit magenta in some as well, particularly the first.

Nothing wrong with shallow depth of field, or top down, to my eye. Both very very widely used in food photography. Pay extra attention to cleaning the edge of the bowl though.

Finally, do you think you could upload some larger files? This page only took about 10 minutes to open for me. ;)

Finally, do you think you could upload some larger files? This page only took about 10 minutes to open for me. ;)

Made me laugh, cheers :) Should probably export for web... might cover the muck on the dishes too ha :)

Strangley really struggled with the white balance, ummed and ahhed between temperatures/tints until I felt I was splitting hairs, really good to hear someones opinion on that as I was stuck for ages.

Cheers

Earl

If the OP got to these results, then he deserves the best I can do to give a
decent translation of the wanted critique.

looking straight down at it, as in the 1st shot, is not very appealing and 'looks' wrong.
Nothing wrong with shallow depth of field, or top down, to my eye. Both very very widely used in food photography.
Absolutely right James! …very very widely used in food photography, both!
I see this on the plus side…
— complementary, properly chosen and well toned colours
— three colour composition and good contrast between elements
— equal and correct renditions
— diversity of shapes and textures
— hardly any uncontrolled specular highlights
— variable use of DoF and PoV
— the setup is clean and ingredients appear fresh
— inviting atmosphere
— I will stop here.

I see this on the minus side…
— Compositional quality is just average:

• too much negative space in all
• unbalanced structural
display of elements
• very conservative approach to layout​
— what is suppose to be warm food is no looking so
— what is suppose to be cold drink is no looking so
— the story telling is not consequent
• is this expected to be eaten with the fingers?
• if this is in the kitchen, where are the utensils?
— I will stop here.

Conclusion…
One must admit that the OP has achieved many of the necessary points
leading to good food photography though it should not be ignored that a
long way is still ahead. Some craftsmen/women specialize their operations
in this sector because it is an art by itself.

Earl, you have gone so far, don't you ever stop… take the time to learn!
Keep rocking …now, I wanted to taste that wine…​

Last edited:
F

If the OP got to these results, then he deserves the best I can do to give a
decent translation of the wanted critique.

Absolutely right James! …very very widely used in food photography, both!
I see this on the plus side…
— complementary, properly chosen and well toned colours
— three colour composition and good contrast between elements
— equal and correct renditions
— diversity of shapes and textures
— hardly any uncontrolled specular highlights
— variable use of DoF and PoV
— the setup is clean and ingredients appear fresh
— inviting atmosphere
— I will stop here.

I see this on the minus side…
— Compositional quality is just average:

• too much negative space in all
• unbalanced structural
display of elements
• very conservative approach to layout​
— what is suppose to be warm food is no looking so
— what is suppose to be cold drink is no looking so
— the story telling is not consequent
• is this expected to be eaten with the fingers?
• if this is in the kitchen, where are the utensils?
— I will stop here.

Conclusion…
One must admit that the OP has achieved many of the necessary points
leading to good food photography though it should not be ignored that a
long way is still ahead. Some craftsmen/women specialize their operations
in this sector because it is an art by itself.
Earl, you have gone so far, don't you ever stop… take the time to learn!
Keep rocking …now, I wanted to taste that wine…​

Fantastic critique, thanks a bunch, I have no soup spoons in my flat so I left the cutlery out - embarrassing I know...

Really appreciate the feedback, especially when that in depth. Makes you realise how people see the same image differently, really is incredible.

Cheers
Earl

*edit: the food was indeed hot to begin with and the wine cold but by the time I had finished, the missus had to stick it back on the hob haha, it was very much too cold to eat.

Last edited:

Man, your reply makes me very happy…

Now, what about the wine?

Last edited:
1st thing that hit me was the colour balance..........................they all look very warm.

Out of the set #1 for me.

interested in peoples thoughts on non-standard image sizes
I think it is better to crop for better composition than to compromise because you want make the images fit specific print sizes.
For me it's the lighting, its very flat. This results in loss of texture information and texture if important in this field of photography.

Back