Critique Daffodil

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
2nd go at this type of photography, small set up at home with off camera flash (to top left), I admit the vase water is distracting.

Any feedback or Critique welcome

Thanks for looking :)

Gav

Project Daff by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
I quite like it , the simplicity is appealing to me . I would of made it less central , and positioned it to the left slightly , so the vase and flower go from left bottom corner to top right corner , if that makes sense ?

I quite like it , the simplicity is appealing to me . I would of made it less central , and positioned it to the left slightly , so the vase and flower go from left bottom corner to top right corner , if that makes sense ?
Thanks, done a quick crop, think I agree (y)
I'll think about that in future
Project Daff.jpg

I Gav.

Liking the photo you seem to be enjoying your photogrphy very much experimenting/trying all subject matter.

Both the original and edit look good to me.

Is the background your wallpaper or have you made something?

I was wondering if there were any particular reason you chose to place the light camera top left?

Not that there is anything wrong with that it's more for my own learning.

Gaz

I Gav.

Liking the photo you seem to be enjoying your photogrphy very much experimenting/trying all subject matter.

Both the original and edit look good to me.

Is the background your wallpaper or have you made something?

I was wondering if there were any particular reason you chose to place the light camera top left?

Not that there is anything wrong with that it's more for my own learning.

Gaz
Hi Gaz

I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more now, almost hit delete on the hard drive a few times since joining here and looking back at my old stuff ;) learning a lot looking around and help from everyone.

The back ground is a cheapish pop up back ground from Amazon, just wanted to make sure I use them before investing in more. I have a habit of over engineering stuff if I make my own.

I took 12 shots with the lighting in a differant spot, but I liked this the most :) so more luck than skill ;)

Thanks for the reply and encourgement (y)

Gav

It looks pretty good to me, I prefer the edited version. I do like the simplistic look, but do also think there's something missing.

It looks pretty good to me, I prefer the edited version. I do like the simplistic look, but do also think there's something missing.
Hi Dominic, Thank you, do you have an idea what I could add or do? or is it just that "spark" thats missing?

Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

There's a few things IMO. You've already mentioned the water, the daffodil is too short or the vase too tall; and the falloff is too great IMO, it makes the vase seem like it's floating in space.

It seems there was enough light recorded, so the falloff on the BG/table can be brought up a little. I also elongated the flower, removed the water, and reduced saturation/increased vibrance a bit; just to give you an idea.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
There's a few things IMO. You've already mentioned the water, the daffodil is too short or the vase too tall; and the falloff is too great IMO, it makes the vase seem like it's floating in space.

It seems there was enough light recorded, so the falloff on the BG/table can be brought up a little. I also elongated the flower, removed the water, and reduced saturation/increased vibrance a bit; just to give you an idea.
Thanks sk66

I will take note of all you said, now I've seen your edit I can see where I went wrong and the improvement the points make.

Thank you for taking the time to edit the image, I really appreciate it (y)

Gav

I like those the crop works better in my opinion Gav :)

why not consider a slightly different take on the daff - Like this I shot a year or so back - Flash high right / slightly behind flower and a reflector close to camera 90mm f2.8 macro lens

Bnedg0a.jpg

Les :)

I like those the crop works better in my opinion Gav :)

why not consider a slightly different take on the daff - Like this I shot a year or so back - Flash high right / slightly behind flower and a reflector close to camera 90mm f2.8 macro lens

Les :)
Thanks Les,

I will give it a go, I do need to find new angles (y)

Gav

Back