daft question !!

Edit My Images
Yes
hi

I'm looking on ebay for some expired 35mm film and have seen some thats called colour slide film.

Is this for slides only or can prints be produced from this ?

thanks

Slides can be scanned and then prints made. ( its a service offered when the development and mounting is done)

Ah I se what you are asking. These films produce slides only ( instead of negatives that are produces by C41 films). The slides are then scanned and prints made from those scans

Ah I se what you are asking. These films produce slides only ( instead of negatives that are produces by C41 films). The slides are then scanned and prints made from those scans

thanks

I take it i need the "colour negative" films then ?

This is the film forum, printing from a scan is the last resort.
When we talk about prints, generally we are talking about wet prints made by hand using an enlarger/dark room chemicals/paper.
If you want to talk about ink jet prints, say so...:)

If you want only colour prints, colour negatives. (C41)

For b/w, you have 2 options : either the traditional B/W films or some b/w films that can be processed the same way as colour films. Advantage is - D&P for those are 6 quids as opposed to 11 quids for traditional b/w.

If you are scanning the film and then printing digitally from inkjet, it doesn't matter what film you use

When we talk about prints, generally we are talking about wet prints made by hand using an enlarger/dark room chemicals/paper.

Joxby -our knuckles have been suitable rapped :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

I never mentioned inkjets

all i wanted to know what was the difference between two film types i.e colour negative and colour slide

If you want only colour prints, colour negatives. (C41)

For b/w, you have 2 options : either the traditional B/W films or some b/w films that can be processed the same way as colour films. Advantage is - D&P for those are 6 quids as opposed to 11 quids for traditional b/w.

thanks for that :)

If you are scanning the film and then printing digitally from inkjet, it doesn't matter what film you use

Except making prints from slides are far more expensive. Other than that, you are right; once digitised it makes no difference

I never mentioned inkjets

all i wanted to know what was the difference between two film types i.e colour negative and colour slide

You should really try a few slide rolls. Even seen through a viewer ( viewers on ebay - about 10 quids; sometimes even 99p) is really much better

You do not need to scan slides to get prints done, that sounds like a daft idea to me :thumbsdown:

In my day with slides I used to get Cibachrome prints - and they are FAB (y)

Here's a Google comment on them...

Cibachrome - The Colour Print
Cibachrome prints are created from colour transparencies (slides) by a system that is completely different from regular colour prints (like your one-hour snap-shots). The sharpness, colour intensity, clean whites, and critical accuracy to the original slide are stunning. Cibachrome prints are made on a dimensionally stable tri-acetate polyester base (i.e. plastic, not paper). In plain English, that means that your print will not fade, discolour or deteriorate for a very long time.

Wild Daisies at Lynde Shores, Whitby, Ontario The Cibachrome process was developed by the Ciba-Geigy Corporation of Switzerland in the 1960s. The process was subsequently purchased by Ilford, now part of International Paper, and renamed “Ilfochrome” - but almost everyone still refers to it as Cibachrome or even “Ciba”.

The Cibachrome process is completely different from the other methods of printing from slides, such as the "Type R" processes offered by Kodak, Fuji and others. In these other processes, the chemistry contains colour dyes that interact with the developer to place the colours onto the paper.

Simcoe County Fall Splender The reverse is true of Cibachrome in that the dyes are imbedded in the paper, and are selectively bleached out during processing. The dyes used are called Azo-dyes, which are known for their exceptional stability and colour purity. Cibachrome prints are known among artists, curators and art collectors for both their archival qualities (best of any common colour printing material) and their rich, saturated colours. When you compare them to other prints, they are also noticeably sharper - this is a direct result of the dyes being in the paper, not in the chemistry. Because the dyes are in the paper’s emulsion, they act as an anti-light scattering layer. This keeps the projected image from spreading out as it penetrates and exposes the emulsion.

Cibachrome’s are also more environmentally friendly. Other processes release greater quantities of toxic dyes into the environment. With Cibachrome’s, since most of the dye stays in the paper, there are less dyes in the waste chemistry. It’s nice to find something that’s both better for the environment and more pleasing to the eye.

Finally, Cibachrome prints are archival. Museums and art collectors insist on Cibachrome prints because they don’t fade in normal light. Unlike regular colour prints, which fade even when stored in a dark closet, Cibachrome’s will last a lifetime. That means that your investment will be around for a long time to come.

:)

DD

hi

I'm looking on ebay for some expired 35mm film and have seen some thats called colour slide film.

Is this for slides only or can prints be produced from this ?

thanks

Yes, you can get prints produced from slide film, though it's not the primary use of it. As stated above, the process is Cibachrome - though it's officially now refered to as Ilfochrome. It gives a lovely quality of output, though it's pretty expensive compared to a normal wet print from negative stock. A further option, which is non-ideal is to have the slide scanned and produce a inkjet print from it. This is at the mercy of the ability of the scanner, and the person driving it.

There aren't that many places still doing a proper Ciba/Ilfochrome, but google will probably turn something up.

I just got a couple of cibachrome prints from them and their fantastic! Really high gloss so dead reflective, nice deep colours and very good quality.
Pity their stopping the service but it is quite expensive as the chemicals alone cost £50 if you buy them as does a 100 sheets of 10x8 so it not cheap. There is one other place that I know does them as I searched but his prices are a bit more than the other place.

http://www.owenboyd.com/Prices.htm

BTW you can get slide film cross processed in C-41 negative chemicals to get prints from the negatives directly. Don't expect accurate colours though, it has a different look to it.

Last edited:
Back