Daft qustion from a Digi user.

On the Huh

Little Ball of Fur
Name
Zulfi
Edit My Images
Yes
I started photography with a modern slr (Nikon F50.F100) and quickly moved to dogital.
I have been given some old cameras in the past...and whilst these were falling apart and no good, I did wonder how on earth one can view anything from the tiny tiny viewfinder they seem to have.

A local charity shop has an old camera for a couple of quid, but this has one of those tiny viewfinders too. How do you see through these tiny vfs?

I think you'll need to be more specific, Proper SLR VF or a little vf on the top with framing lines? My 35mm all have enormous vf, even if the zenit was lifted out a soviet gold fish bowl, the VF on my RB67 could easily hold my D3100. Even a good rangefinder will have a decent vf, a the vf on a trip is brighter than my D3100 (no mirror) and easily big enough to frame.

Depends on what cameras, and what you are comparing them to.

Most of my 35mm SLRs put my D7000 to shame (yes, they are bigger because 35mm is bigger than APS-C, but the D7000 is/was the pinnacle of APS-C Nikons). And let's not even bother comparing any of the medium format cameras.

Last edited:
Depends on what cameras, and what you are comparing them to.

Most of my 35mm SLRs put my D7000 to shame (yes, they are bigger because 35mm is bigger than APS-C, but the D7000 is/was the pinnacle of APS-C Nikons). And let's not even bother comparing any of the medium format cameras.

Yip, just about all the 35mm SLRs had excellent viewfinders compared with the crop digital bodies. It was one of the things that put me off DSLRs. The MF bodies are supposed to have the edge on brightness because the AF systems that came later bled off some light for the autofocus, but I don't really know if this is true or not.

The viewfinder that truly puts my DSLR to shame is the Pentax Auto 110 viewfinder, which is about the same size and almost the same brightness - which is incredible in such a small interchangeable lens camera.

your digi must be crap then my F65 and FG are epic, the Ricoh 500G is a bit wee tho.

Back