Dale's Garden Hide. (been a busy boy)

Thanks Dale. I think I need to start packing the wife and kids up on a few days out without me!

It's been a while, been busy with other stuff and also been plaqued with house sparrows, nothing against them but they do tend to take over at times.

Anyway, I've been keeping the feeders topped up and observing from the kitchen window. I had a couple of hours spare earlier so I popped out to the hide and it was a very interesting time.

Some from today,

a very welcome coal tit, a busy image but still nice to see, now to attract it to my better perches,

IMG_2273 LR CS6 JP  TP.jpg

probably my favourite visitor, although the small birds might not agree,

IMG_2288 LR CS6 JP.jpg

it did a flyby

IMG_2296 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

a goldie, great to see them back in swarms,

IMG_2281  LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

on a sad note, a goldie with a broken or deformed foot/legIMG_2270 LR CS6 JP  TP.jpg

I'm hoping to spend more time in the hide now.

Last edited:
I'd intended to go to the KF nest site today but ended up on school run duty instead. I was at a loose end for an hour or so, so I went out the hide, first time in a while.

Nice little chaffy again and some time with the M5, 100-400L and 2xTC. Uncropped image at 1280mm equiv.

IMG_0031 LR CS6 JP  tp.jpg

Some of you will remember the pond I set up a little while back. I haven't photographed anything at it but it has become more established now and is fitting into the natural (wild) look I want to create at that part of the garden and hide. We do get allsorts of birds, from covids to finches bathing in the pond and I noticed a hedgehog drinking from it a few nights ago. Last night, I left the trail camera at the pond overnight, just out of curiosity more than anything else.

The fox used to investigate the pond when he first started coming in but he doesn't seem to bother with it now.

I'll settle for the hedghog for now. ;)

View: https://youtu.be/Lr1RJ5aYZR0

Some of you will remember the pond I set up a little while back. I haven't photographed anything at it but it has become more established now and is fitting into the natural (wild) look I want to create at that part of the garden and hide. We do get allsorts of birds, from covids to finches bathing in the pond and I noticed a hedgehog drinking from it a few nights ago. Last night, I left the trail camera at the pond overnight, just out of curiosity more than anything else.

The fox used to investigate the pond when he first started coming in but he doesn't seem to bother with it now.

I'll settle for the hedghog for now. ;)

View: https://youtu.be/Lr1RJ5aYZR0

That’s a really nice view of a hedgehog in other than the usual ’lawn’ view.

That’s a really nice view of a hedgehog in other than the usual ’lawn’ view.

Thank you, he's still around too.

Nice to see things are still going well in the garden Dale (y) (y)

Thank you. It's back to house sparrows just now though, but there are more goldfinches still here than last year but I think there are far more goldfinches around generally just now. Still getting the odd siskin and even redpoll but I just need time to get out to the hide.

Things are calming down at my kingfisher now, so it's time to actually do something else. Landscapes are on the agenda soon but my hide is due revival too (and a lick of paint).

I've decided the hide is actually a winter project, the summer sees mainly house sparrows visiting and whilst I have nothing against them, they're not really my favourite kind of bird. The light is also a bit much during the summer months at times.

So, for this autumn and winter, the hide will be used more, I now have a heater out there too to keep my feet toasty, one of the problems I was having and spoiling the enjoyment a little was cold toes. Cold toes were actually fine, it was the warming back up bit that was unpleasant.

So species wise, it's much the same, tons and tons of goldfinches are now back at the hide after a summer lay off, both adult and young. Today saw house sparrows too but less in number, as well as greenfinch and a blue tit.

I'd forgotten how much I enjoy my hide and it's easy to get to, no trapsing through thick undergrowth to get to, as it's only about 50 feet from my back door. The hide is looking a little sorry for itself ( I prefer the term 'rustic' ) but nothing a quick tidy up and 2 hours with the paint brush won't fix.

To open the account for this year, an adult goldfinch, no suprise there but it's had a tough few months as is probably now in a moult too. If today was anything to go by though, hopefully this year will see more, varied species, as I was quite suprised and pleased to see the greenfinch today, as well as a blue tit.

IMG_0098 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Last edited:
What is it with goldfinches? We have tons. We get the odd one with a ring too, so they are being monitored.

Lovely birds and a pleasure to have at the hide. This one was last week with the M5 and 100-400L. The M5 continues to suprise me.

IMG_0284  LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

The female sparrowhawk made 2 appearances last week too, although I was in the kitchen at the time. She seems to be focusing on the feral pigeons as she had another one just a few days ago.

Well, it's been a while, all things hidey (and photography in general) have taken a bit of a back seat for me recently.

It's given me a chance though to look over some of the later images from the hide and back late last year, this Bluetit made a few visits.

I've not been in the hide for a while, not for photography but I'm hoping to soon, if only to observe. There are tons of Goldfinches as well as the Bluetit(s), the odd siskin, etc etc and occasionally, Mr or Mrs Sparrowhawk.

Anyway, for now.................

IMG_0075 LR CS6 JP tp.jpg

Can/t beat a good honest Blue tit image Dale - lovely shot buddy :)

Les

PS the Wild Bore are good for Bar-B Q's not in your garden - I have a 243 if you need it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Can/t beat a good honest Blue tit image Dale - lovely shot buddy :)

Les

PS the Wild Bore are good for Bar-B Q's not in your garden - I have a 243 if you need it :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks Les,

I bet boar are nice, never tried them and unlikely to now as my shooting days are over.

Thanks Les,

I bet boar are nice, never tried them and unlikely to now as my shooting days are over.
I have eaten Wild Boar twice in Italy, the first time it was very nice indeed and I surmise was well hung (like game) but the second time later that holiday at another restaurant it was nowhere near as good a meal :(

I have eaten Wild Boar twice in Italy, the first time it was very nice indeed and I surmise was well hung (like game) but the second time later that holiday at another restaurant it was nowhere near as good a meal :(

Closest I’ve come to eating wild boar is the hog roast that used to be on sale at one of the entry gates at a campsite at the British GP every year. It was spit roast over an open fire, a whole pig for the duration of the weekend, Thursday through to Sunday evening. That was epic.

Our local boar are culled through the year and eaten by the estate owner, guests and workers.

Closest I’ve come to eating wild boar is the hog roast that used to be on sale at one of the entry gates at a campsite at the British GP every year. It was spit roast over an open fire, a whole pig for the duration of the weekend, Thursday through to Sunday evening. That was epic.

Our local boar are culled through the year and eaten by the estate owner, guests and workers.
This last bit is interesting....

In that the first meal I mentioned was in the rural country estate hotel (in Tuscany) where they shot wild boar on the estate and butchered etc themselves. The latter meal was in a town restaurant some miles away.

As I recall, the hotel staff told me that the meat was never sold but only used in their own kitchen ~ go figure :LOL:

This last bit is interesting....

In that the first meal I mentioned was in the rural country estate hotel (in Tuscany) where they shot wild boar on the estate and butchered etc themselves. The latter meal was in a town restaurant some miles away.

As I recall, the hotel staff told me that the meat was never sold but only used in their own kitchen ~ go figure :LOL:

Lol, I see your point.

When the snow is down, we can sometimes see the boar from our front door and we often hear them squabbling.

I also hear the boar getting shot (well, I hear the guns) as well as occasional deer. These are then stored in a 'cool room' which is actually a stone out building with blacked out windows. I've often walked past it. The meat is butchered on site and hung, for however long.

I must get talking to the head ranger, he's a lovely chap, maybe I can blag a few steaks. :naughty:

Male chaffy, in the snow, 19/02/2022.

A difficult composition due to the head turn.

I love the soft, reflected light that comes off snow.

The little M5 continues to impress, it seems to love the 100-400.

IMG_0520 DPP LR CS5 JP tp.jpg

Back