Dale's Garden Hide. (been a busy boy)

Excellent as usual.

Jealous of your garden... as usual. :)

And I think the background has made a very positive difference to the feel of the images. Particularly like how the tones of the background have balanced those on the bird.

I love this thread Dale and it was what inspired me to make something at our new home, I do not have a hide as such yet but built a small reflection pool and a large number of feeders which is now reaping the rewards with visitors, just need to get out and start taking pics :)

Excellent as usual.

Jealous of your garden... as usual. :)

And I think the background has made a very positive difference to the feel of the images. Particularly like how the tones of the background have balanced those on the bird.

Cheers. I'll keep working at it.

I love this thread Dale and it was what inspired me to make something at our new home, I do not have a hide as such yet but built a small reflection pool and a large number of feeders which is now reaping the rewards with visitors, just need to get out and start taking pics :)

Thank you. Be careful, it's addictive. ;)

Again, not that often seen at the hide, there are plenty about but they rarely come to the feeders but a recent addition of fatballs seems to be to thier taste.

This one obviously preferred the green background as it perched right at the edge of where the grass meets the dead branches. Pesky thing turned his head away at the last second. :banghead:

:LOL:

tp.jpg

With Storm Ciara over and done with, I managed to get out in the garden today. I'd made my mind up a few weeks ago that I needed to address the roof run off as the water was bouncing off the ground and soaking the sides of the hide and it was coming through to the inside as well. I purchased some guttering, brackets and downpipes to take the run off away in a more controlled way and let it run off the garden. I may redirect one of the downpipes in the summer months to keep the reflection pool topped up with fresh water, depending on the rain of course but we get plenty of that.

The hide is looking a bit sorry, so to nip any decline in the bud, a mini refurb is underway. I am going to replace the roofing felt as the wind has damaged it where the clout nails go through. I could patch it up but I may as well make the job a good one. A lick of paint is coming too and overdue, it was meant to be done last autumn.

I'd like to make a more permanent reflection pool now, I have the timber to do it, I just need to order some pondliner. I will then make better use of the smaller closed hatch for the reflection pool.

There's a pond coming too, but off to the side and not at this stage anyway, for photogrpahy purposes.

Simple but very effective gutters, one each side of course.

DSCF7771 web.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Dale
looking forward to the pond

cheers.

Nice one Dale- where do we book

Les :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Might happen, but not this year ;).

I’ll be keeping records this year of observed species, the sparrowhawk was here last Friday, I’d love to get that working, we’ll see.

Priorities at the moment though are a lick of paint, a permanent reflection pool, new roof felt and the pond, maybe some photography amongst that lot.

Last edited:
'Ello mate ,buddy I like the new bkg, both images are really lovely Dale, really well executed I especially like the colours in the bkg and how they lift the siskin I spose we say make it pop

There is also more depth in the bkg than say goldie also cool,I can just see branches??

I don't think you have completely understood where my head is at..... what I'm trying to get over. Maybe you have :) On every level these thoughts are personal Dale ,so what I've been considering lately might not appeal to you which is cool Just bunging stuff at ya mate, ideas, I guess.:D

You have a beautifully focused subject a perch and a completely OOF BKG that I can't really tell you much about Can you play more with the BKG,? Say to tell more of a story, add more depth.? Not only physical depth but more depth for the viewer to look at

You really don't want to add distractions ,so what I've been musing is "things" in front of what you have BKG wise that I as your viewer might be able to ID but still towards the back so they remain OOF. Basically adding layers into the bkg...but very much still OOF.. Buddy by things I mean props related to me subject in some way

Dale I know you love your clean bkg I do too but do I want that in every image?? For me personally nah not so much. Bud you saw me last hare pic shown here,"low" forget the hare forget foreground look at the bkg, Mate I know that bkg was made nearly on top of a hill but can I sort of play with that idea "concept" within the confines of a garden image wise ?? Placement is crucial. Your are sort of faking something but it's a garden hide thread it's not like we are is hiding anything or being dishonest just what potentials are there to make an image

Dale there are so many cameras making images in the world almost everything that could be done has been but it's gotta be worth just exploring every potential avenue to make an image
that your hide provides.

Totally of at a tangent.... Can you go low ,Dale is that possible??

I think the best I can come up with is this................... Set your subjects in a scene rather than on a perch,does that make sense mate??

. Lol there ya go some thoughts Dale . :LOL:

You've achieved a lot bro, you should be well proud, (y) Are you pleased with the images.?

'Ello mate ,buddy I like the new bkg, both images are really lovely Dale, really well executed I especially like the colours in the bkg and how they lift the siskin I spose we say make it pop

There is also more depth in the bkg than say goldie also cool,I can just see branches??

I don't think you have completely understood where my head is at..... what I'm trying to get over. Maybe you have :) On every level these thoughts are personal Dale ,so what I've been considering lately might not appeal to you which is cool Just bunging stuff at ya mate, ideas, I guess.:D

You have a beautifully focused subject a perch and a completely OOF BKG that I can't really tell you much about Can you play more with the BKG,? Say to tell more of a story, add more depth.? Not only physical depth but more depth for the viewer to look at

You really don't want to add distractions ,so what I've been musing is "things" in front of what you have BKG wise that I as your viewer might be able to ID but still towards the back so they remain OOF. Basically adding layers into the bkg...but very much still OOF.. Buddy by things I mean props related to me subject in some way

Dale I know you love your clean bkg I do too but do I want that in every image?? For me personally nah not so much. Bud you saw me last hare pic shown here,"low" forget the hare forget foreground look at the bkg, Mate I know that bkg was made nearly on top of a hill but can I sort of play with that idea "concept" within the confines of a garden image wise ?? Placement is crucial. Your are sort of faking something but it's a garden hide thread it's not like we are is hiding anything or being dishonest just what potentials are there to make an image

Dale there are so many cameras making images in the world almost everything that could be done has been but it's gotta be worth just exploring every potential avenue to make an image
that your hide provides.

Totally of at a tangent.... Can you go low ,Dale is that possible??

I think the best I can come up with is this................... Set your subjects in a scene rather than on a perch,does that make sense mate??

. Lol there ya go some thoughts Dale . :LOL:

You've achieved a lot bro, you should be well proud, (y) Are you pleased with the images.?

Thanks Stu.

The going low thing would introduce more interest to the BG maybe. I see what you're saying matey, 100%. Those are indeed branches, from last year's pruning, that were in a pile nearby, I've just scattered them over the grass that once provided the (too) clinical BG when it was just grass. I think the new, browner colours break things up a little, it should really light up when we (eventually) get some good light. I'm going to allow the grass to grow through the scattered dead branches this year, maybe that will break things up even more.

I'm on the lookout for more 'props' too, to the point of looking at the floor on the school walk, all noted for my return walk home. :LOL:

I'm 100% open to ideas and suggestions, keep them coming, it all adds to my thoughts and it will make to the hide in time. Teasels next. ;)

I'm pleased with the images, I think they're improving all the time, that improvement will never end, but it could always be better, everday is a school day. (y)

One more for now, one of the best days in the hide so far.

What's down there then? by Dale, on Flickr

Very Nice Dale- I'm in Scotland end of April - shall I book my place in your hide now lol :)

Les

RE:- the last image. I find Canon files are very warm on the shade, cloudy and sunny settings and this morning I saw that with the image. I have reduced the yellow and red tones on it now.

tp.jpg

Thanks Les.

Where are you off to?

On to Mull for 2 weeks in a rented cottage Nr Tobermory - hoping to capture Otters and Sea Eagles and any other wildlife that crosses my path - taking my Landrover Discovery not sure my BMW is ideal lol

I have a wildlife guide booked for 4 separate days during our stay, hopefully he will know of prime locations

Les :)

On to Mull for 2 weeks in a rented cottage Nr Tobermory - hoping to capture Otters and Sea Eagles and any other wildlife that crosses my path - taking my Landrover Discovery not sure my BMW is ideal lol

I have a wildlife guide booked for 4 separate days during our stay, hopefully he will know of prime locations

Awesome, jealous.

RE:- the last image. I find Canon files are very warm on the shade, cloudy and sunny settings and this morning I saw that with the image. I have reduced the yellow and red tones on it now.

View attachment 269224

Buddy I never use the presets now I find I always wanna tweak them. I see the same as you a bit too warm on the shade or cloudy settings , I tend to go eye dropper then tweak with colour temp,but i'm no expert with post mate as you well know. Mike's your man for all this. But it's something I agonise over mate it's a base start point for editing, WB so important.

Dale I watch alot of the making of movies ya know the special features. I find it fascinating how they cobble together what we see in a film. So I guess where the above waffle comes from is taking their detail in set building and applying that to what we do . I see a hide as a stills ('erm movie;)) set where we make the bkg ie have control over it .. That's basically my inspiration. source. No amount of detail is spared,sure they have massive budgets but that's irrelevant to us . We can still ponder detail

Here here always a work in progress. Mate we nature togs don't seem to talk much about setting up an image. yet we go to the lengths of building a hide a pool etc etc and talk on that . They say good togs are always aware of the bkg, ha I'm not that guy!! The thing is in any situation even a hide one might have splits of a second to capture an image, So much is going on at shutter press. The one thing I can sort of do in advance is ponder BKG .

Good to chat on mate cheers as always for the cool reply Dale have you got a river near by. Do you know a tree called Alder?? Not Elder. Alder cones sit on a tree all year and Siskins love the Alder seeds so feed on the cones. Might be worth trying to snag some twigs and cones.... not only as a perch but maybe some further back as well. It would look gorgeous with your little lass Siskin and that new BKG. :cool:

seeya

Buddy I never use the presets now I find I always wanna tweak them. I see the same as you a bit too warm on the shade or cloudy settings , I tend to go eye dropper then tweak with colour temp,but i'm no expert with post mate as you well know. Mike's your man for all this. But it's something I agonise over mate it's a base start point for editing, WB so important.

Dale I watch alot of the making of movies ya know the special features. I find it fascinating how they cobble together what we see in a film. So I guess where the above waffle comes from is taking their detail in set building and applying that to what we do . I see a hide as a stills ('erm movie;)) set where we make the bkg ie have control over it .. That's basically my inspiration. source. No amount of detail is spared,sure they have massive budgets but that's irrelevant to us . We can still ponder detail

Here here always a work in progress. Mate we nature togs don't seem to talk much about setting up an image. yet we go to the lengths of building a hide a pool etc etc and talk on that . They say good togs are always aware of the bkg, ha I'm not that guy!! The thing is in any situation even a hide one might have splits of a second to capture an image, So much is going on at shutter press. The one thing I can sort of do in advance is ponder BKG .

Good to chat on mate cheers as always for the cool reply Dale have you got a river near by. Do you know a tree called Alder?? Not Elder. Alder cones sit on a tree all year and Siskins love the Alder seeds so feed on the cones. Might be worth trying to snag some twigs and cones.... not only as a perch but maybe some further back as well. It would look gorgeous with your little lass Siskin and that new BKG. :cool:

seeya

Cheers Stu.

Yup, we have alder along the river, about 200 yards away, will scout there soon, mission accepted. (y);)

Ha brill got get 'em. I thought you might know the tree

Dale these cones are a tiny bit special,they contain a natural bactericide fungicide. Sorry mate utterly off topic just something I thought you would be interested in:) The cones are great to make a tea out of to rear tadpoles in and prevent mold on phib eggs.. We have used them for years now.

Back to togging a bit later on in the year there will be catkins aswell which again will look lovely in images. What I didn't know until today is that Goldfinch also feed on Alder. So even better for you as you have both species on your feeders.

Fantastic thread, Dale...read it from start to finish yesterday.

Lovely Goldie and the only species to visit my feeders.

Fantastic thread, Dale...read it from start to finish yesterday.

Lovely Goldie and the only species to visit my feeders.

Cheers Andy, glad you're enjoying it. More to come. (y)

I do love a Goldie on a stick, nice shot Dale

Not quite hide related at the moment but the pond took a big step forward today. The underlay went down, the liner too and in went some water, as well as some chippings for escape routes for any critters that want to get out. The water has gone in just to give me an idea of were the edges will eventually be so that I can fix them down properly and trim it. No filtration as of yet but when that comes, it will be solar. It's a pond first and foremost for wildlife to use but it's within easy lens reach of the hide and may even get it's own hide if it takes off.

A little bleak and sterile just now and still some finishing to do but give it 3 months. ;)

DSCF7900.jpg

Last edited:
Nice bro, loads of potential here looking forwards to this part Dale. !!

Nice bro, loads of potential here looking forwards to this part Dale. !!

Hopefully this new phase will allow plenty to watch Stu.

I've not been out to look for alder yet.

The conifers are going, once I'm certain there are no nests in them. The roots of the nearest one might threaten the liner. I'm not keen on conifers anyhow. I have planted some dwarf species to provide some much needed privacy in one part though but they will be well managed.

A dedicated pond hide is some way off yet, probably next year, the existing hide will suffice for now but I am thinking about a pond hide.

a look into the future :) just for fun

n8Jrmar.jpg

Not quite hide related at the moment but the pond took a big step forward today. The underlay went down, the liner too and in went some water, as well as some chippings for escape routes for any critters that want to get out. The water has gone in just to give me an idea of were the edges will eventually be so that I can fix them down properly and trim it. No filtration as of yet but when that comes, it will be solar. It's a pond first and foremost for wildlife to use but it's within easy lens reach of the hide and may even get it's own hide if it takes off.

A little bleak and sterile just now and still some finishing to do but give it 3 months. ;)

View attachment 271741
Nice one Dale.
Your cold didn't hold you back :LOL:

a look into the future :) just for fun

n8Jrmar.jpg

Actually, the heron wouldn't suprise me at all, they fly over all the time, have been seen on neighbour's roofs (pic to come) and at a neighbour's pond that he has had to cover with net. The deer wouldn't suprise me either, although our garden is fairly secure, they too have been seen nearby, I've seen them within 1/4 mile of home.

Let me know if you need a hand Dale.

Thanks Bob.

Afforementioned heron and deer.

The heron is on my neighbour's roof and taken from roughly where the pond is now. The deer is about a mile away, well within walking distance but I have seen them even closer.

There is so much stuff around here.

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_8155.jpg

Back