1. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Stuart challnged me elsewhere and I'm not one for not accepting :LOL:.

Feel free to crit this one please, my take on it is a faster shutter speed and a cleaner background, with more seperation between them? :coat: The background to the left is much cleaner and I had pre focused there but they fell to the right of the feeder and I had to react to that instead.

tp.jpg

Box Brownie likes this.
  2. Stuart Philpott

Stuart Philpott

Name:
    Stu
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Ha Dale what we read study and think we have forgotten,I've seen and read both links so kindly given but have to say cheers lads for the refreshers:). Taxboy tell me your name...please mucker can't be calling someone tax boy,it's scary:D

Yes you could mate, movable shrubs is a cool idea. the trouble is one is taking many many images in one place one needs variety and some !!!!!. Dale i'm not talking pond persay,I utterly concur let it grow in let nature weave her magic it's what happens at the back of that pond directly where that all too abrupt cut off is what is bugging me.

Making a natural looking image with water is tricky, I think because that water has to be contained by something ie a bank. Slow moving water plus bank =veggies in blighty. The only exception I can come up with is a woodland tree root pool,usually small and often transient where one might have this abrupt demarkation in DOFoccuring in nature . Virtually every other senario where water occurs in nature that I can think of in blighty has a bank and or vegetaion at the back. Banks have a profound effect on dof, it's trying to find a way of making a reflection pool feel natural to me. It isn't about blagging folks by being able to say this was taken utterly in the wild ,it's trying to work out just how one gets round that love of distraction ie clean bkg,yet also make a refection pool image that feels right. completely natural.

The obvious way is sitiing hide in the ground and. togs eye looks along pond water surface,but sits below it It's ,not easily done,doable sure,but not easy. It's getting that feel into an elivated pond where i'm sort of struggling.

wildlife set ups are fascinating,they provide amazing chances to make an image. Seems logical to want to make as natural a frame as one can,

Dale the white line gives it away sure it's that bit just behind that white line where I think our eyes start to question what isn't quite right?

Mate afore I go kingy motion blurr?? Water banging sharp,SS around 1/2000 just asking really bro,because of a recent spell with some tufties.I might be talking cobblers . I didn't see this when you showed then first time the eye looks tack sharp but the feathers what do you see mate. It is a profoundly beautiful frame kiddo :cool:

,I like ya goldies but must sleep:p get them wings open need some yellows,while they grow some red:D

cheers

3. taxboy

taxboy

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Stu if you get scared by taxboy you can always call me Andrew

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  4. Stuart Philpott

Stuart Philpott

Name:
    Stu
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Yeah that's not half as scary, good shout mate;) You do realise I'll want to truncate next:eek::whistle:

Thanks Andrew very kind,maybe I'm just old and fashioned but it's nice to talk to folks and use their name ocasionally(not mate:p). We all share the same love,things should be on first name terms:)

take care

Dale. and taxboy like this.
  5. Stuart Philpott

Stuart Philpott

Name:
    Stu
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Dale I concur on SS mind you know I push that and iso to get there,so maybe you need other folks musings too.:) Maybe a notch more DOF as well?? Techs please bro.

Mate,the central position doesn't bother me in the slightest,I think BKG is fine as is..... however much the star of the show, the subject, is our focus in an image. surely variety in bkg is all but as important, Dale bkg works because I can see that bit more than an utterly blurred blurry thing. The bkg points to branches bushes it has form and depth but doesn't detract from you're kids at al, IMHOl. Dale I think it's great,I'm me I push me self hard and am apt to encourage me mates. I've not seen you go quite here yet, make images quite like this. That's why I bunged those challenges at ya. It's easy being one dimensional about bkgs and it's great seeing you nail the above. It's as good as anything I made with the 1div, Ha ha, I went back and dug about recently I am shocked by how many goldie images I took around this time last year.

Dale to get two goldfinch in frame in the wild having a scrap, screaming,just what are the odds.......infintesimally small. . Yet this feeder lark can reduce those odds so much.

Even with that reduction in odds this image of two in frame is very very hard,it's so so fast dof is thin up close. . I'm not there with this one yet more work to do. Dale yours is a cracking go at it.

But man......they are such stunningly colourful birds for this little isle. One has to have the reds and yellows for this base image of two fighting to be at it's best. Thing is mate these kids are growing with a shutter racket,it's part of breakfast. Bird or beastie it matters not,if they don't fear us they behave as they should !! That's what we want to capture,even if it is set up. The edge one gets as an image maker of wildlife, from them not being scared is huge . Some will be with you next year as adults Dale there is a big picture to these hides. Ha ha and this image ;)

keep pushing kiddo,cool seeing this from the graft....... great stuff (y)

stu

6. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Stu mate, techs,

7D, iso 320, this might explain the excessive blur, even though I'd like to keep some. I don't mind admitting, I'm worried about pushing the iso on the 7 too far, it might melt. I'm trying to convince myself though that this is in my head and may not be the 7's fault.

1250/sec,
    f5,
    200mm, which is actually 320mm, 35mm eqiuvalent on a 7D.

I keep trying with the 7, despite having the 5D, which would be relatively easier, if that's the right word.

I thought the BG was a little messy, nicely mushed but still messy. I am OCD about things like that though, I'm too hard on myself, this I know. A judge would rip that BG, maybe that's where it comes from within me. I agree though, with that aside, the BG does suggest environment, which if I'm honest with myself, is what it should be about.

I've been in the hide again today, a measly 2 hours, I wanted 8 plus, family life comes into it though (amongst other things), but I am grateful for that.

Bet your life I'll keep pushing mate, as long as the goldies keep coming in, I'll keep trying.

Re the kingfisher, I see blurry feathers. I learned so much that day, to be honest, just to spend time with a pair of wild kingfishers, albeit at a friend's hide, not my own, was a honour and to get pics of them was a bonus. I would do it again and I soon probably will, although I would love to get images of kingfishers that are entirely my own work. I have 2 sites with kingfishers, my local ones dissapeared this year, but getting to the further afield ones is a problem with time constraints and other stuff, maybe one day.

7. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Got an unexpected visitor today, we quite often get them in the street, picking and pecking for grubs and bugs on the monoblocked street and driveways. I never expected to see one at the hide though, even though it wasn't at the feeders. (hefty crop)

IMG_9976 CS6 tp.jpg

been expecting these though, :mad:

IMG_9999 CS6  TP.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This one is getting more frequent now.

tp.jpg

Jannyfox likes this.
  9. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Meet 'Vic', so called because of his white collar.

This is one chilled out jackdaw, he watches me when I'm in the hide, he knows I'm there. I have left the hide when he is perched and he stays put, as well as scurrying about my lawn when I'm out in the garden and he's around. He can fly, no problem, but he is very subdued, although he eats well on the feeders.

tp.jpg

10. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A (most likely) juvenile blue tit, one of 3 that come to the hide at the moment.

This is off the 7D, I didn't quite nail the exposure and I noticed the BG looking 'blocky' after uploading to Flickr and FB. It looks ok in PS. :thinking:

[​IMG]Juvenile Blue Tit. by Dale, on Flickr

11. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  12. daffington

daffington

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Loved reading all of this thread from the start - what a great job you've done. Personally not sure how you don't just spend all day in there!

Particularly enjoyed the woodpeckers.

The link supplied of the big reflection pool got me searching for private hides to rent for the day, lo and behold I actually live near John Stanton's one! Perfect.

13. Hertsman

Hertsman

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Millers Wood id one of my favourite places to be, really enjoy going there. Johns a great bloke and I always get great pics from there.

@Dale. - some great stuff from recent posts, its really coming together,

14. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thank you.

Cheers.

15. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Looking at your avatar picture makes me think of Warnham LNR......near'ish to John for sure?

16. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I missed the question, sorry. :coat:

I think that's perfectly feasible for the background. One of the problems I've had with my pool is the bottom edge, or the one closest to the hide, which can be very restrictive as it interferes with the reflection and I think this is the problem Stu has in mind too. It's not so much a worry for small birds but anything much bigger than a starling and I struggle to get the whole reflection, which is why I think it's better to have the bottom edge of the pool as near to the hide as possible, even touching it. I think 8 feet would be a good length but the longer the better, within certain limits of course.

I've not seen the woodpecker for 2 weeks now, I'm hoping for his sake he's just moved on but I'm also worried something might have happend to him. I did hear him a few times over in the woods but not even that this last week. :(

Hopefully he'll be back to the hide soon. (y)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    taxboy likes this.
  17. taxboy

taxboy

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for that. I've not seen GSW either lately on our garden feeders but hopeful will return. I'm presuming natural food is tastier than my peanuts and suet balls

To confirm if your theory is correct about the bottom edge of the pool intruding, could you contact the photographers linked in this thread directly for their opinions ?

Dale. likes this.
  18. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I could maybe do that, will certainly look into it.

19. daffington

daffington

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Wow. That's some impressive detective work :LOL: It is indeed shot at Warnham!

20. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    On the subject of pots and planters, I have one either side of the frame that holds the bigger perch, that have creeping soft fruit plants in them. I'm aiming to grow them around the frame to hide it. I've been wanting a bird to land on one for a while and today one did, a goldie of course. Been wanting this shot for a few weeks now.

I'm still trying to get the in flight and one of them squabbling mid air but I've found out how difficult that is, even in good light. Today's dull, grey murk wasn't helpful for inflights at all.

edit:, decently sharp on my monitor.

tp.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    gramps and reheat module like this.
  21. Box Brownie

Box Brownie

Edit My Images:
    No
    Well some places stick in my memory ....... especially when triggered by the geographic proximity clue ;)

PS I bought my 12 month pass back in June and managed another visit only last Friday :). 3 hours in the new hide (with another 6 togs waiting for the magic moments) and about 10 seconds of Kingfisher though a swimming grass snake was another first for me.

It is IMO a wonderful wildlife and community resource......wish it was a bit nearer as approximate 40-50 mins drive each way!

22. reheat module

reheat module

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm still following your work and reports Dale, and it's obvious your conscientious efforts are paying off handsomely.
    Lovely crisp, clean and colourful images.

Dale. likes this.
  23. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks Paul, every day is a school day in the hide. I'm still to get inflights I'm happy with though.

Storm Ali has been busy battering us today, I got seasick watching this but it shows Nature's resilience.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-grY2pNGi4

sphexx likes this.
  24. Dale.

Dale.

Name:
    Dale.
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    ....and one of them hanging on, a little windswept.

Also, pleasing results from my old 7D, finally making good use of it.

tp.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    sphexx and Jannyfox like this.