Dale's Garden Hide. (been a busy boy)

Stuart challnged me elsewhere and I'm not one for not accepting :LOL:.

Feel free to crit this one please, my take on it is a faster shutter speed and a cleaner background, with more seperation between them? :coat: The background to the left is much cleaner and I had pre focused there but they fell to the right of the feeder and I had to react to that instead.

tp.jpg

Or an alternative https://www.garyspicerbirdphotography.com/hide-reflection-pool/

Thinking about Stu's problem about the out of focus areas, would it be possible to grow some shrubs in pots and move them as required to create the desired background ?

Ha Dale what we read study and think we have forgotten,I've seen and read both links so kindly given but have to say cheers lads for the refreshers:). Taxboy tell me your name...please mucker can't be calling someone tax boy,it's scary:D

Yes you could mate, movable shrubs is a cool idea. the trouble is one is taking many many images in one place one needs variety and some !!!!!. Dale i'm not talking pond persay,I utterly concur let it grow in let nature weave her magic it's what happens at the back of that pond directly where that all too abrupt cut off is what is bugging me.

Making a natural looking image with water is tricky, I think because that water has to be contained by something ie a bank. Slow moving water plus bank =veggies in blighty. The only exception I can come up with is a woodland tree root pool,usually small and often transient where one might have this abrupt demarkation in DOFoccuring in nature . Virtually every other senario where water occurs in nature that I can think of in blighty has a bank and or vegetaion at the back. Banks have a profound effect on dof, it's trying to find a way of making a reflection pool feel natural to me. It isn't about blagging folks by being able to say this was taken utterly in the wild ,it's trying to work out just how one gets round that love of distraction ie clean bkg,yet also make a refection pool image that feels right. completely natural.

The obvious way is sitiing hide in the ground and. togs eye looks along pond water surface,but sits below it It's ,not easily done,doable sure,but not easy. It's getting that feel into an elivated pond where i'm sort of struggling.

wildlife set ups are fascinating,they provide amazing chances to make an image. Seems logical to want to make as natural a frame as one can,

Dale the white line gives it away sure it's that bit just behind that white line where I think our eyes start to question what isn't quite right?

Mate afore I go kingy motion blurr?? Water banging sharp,SS around 1/2000 just asking really bro,because of a recent spell with some tufties.I might be talking cobblers . I didn't see this when you showed then first time the eye looks tack sharp but the feathers what do you see mate. It is a profoundly beautiful frame kiddo :cool:

,I like ya goldies but must sleep:p get them wings open need some yellows,while they grow some red:D

cheers

Stu if you get scared by taxboy you can always call me Andrew [emoji16]

Last edited:
Stu if you get scared by taxboy you can always call me Andrew [emoji16]

Yeah that's not half as scary, good shout mate;) You do realise I'll want to truncate next:eek::whistle:

Thanks Andrew very kind,maybe I'm just old and fashioned but it's nice to talk to folks and use their name ocasionally(not mate:p). We all share the same love,things should be on first name terms:)

take care

Stuart challnged me elsewhere and I'm not one for not accepting :LOL:.

Feel free to crit this one please, my take on it is a faster shutter speed and a cleaner background, with more seperation between them? :coat: The background to the left is much cleaner and I had pre focused there but they fell to the right of the feeder and I had to react to that instead.

View attachment 134358

Dale I concur on SS mind you know I push that and iso to get there,so maybe you need other folks musings too.:) Maybe a notch more DOF as well?? Techs please bro.

Mate,the central position doesn't bother me in the slightest,I think BKG is fine as is..... however much the star of the show, the subject, is our focus in an image. surely variety in bkg is all but as important, Dale bkg works because I can see that bit more than an utterly blurred blurry thing. The bkg points to branches bushes it has form and depth but doesn't detract from you're kids at al, IMHOl. Dale I think it's great,I'm me I push me self hard and am apt to encourage me mates. I've not seen you go quite here yet, make images quite like this. That's why I bunged those challenges at ya. It's easy being one dimensional about bkgs and it's great seeing you nail the above. It's as good as anything I made with the 1div, Ha ha, I went back and dug about recently I am shocked by how many goldie images I took around this time last year.

Dale to get two goldfinch in frame in the wild having a scrap, screaming,just what are the odds.......infintesimally small. . Yet this feeder lark can reduce those odds so much.

Even with that reduction in odds this image of two in frame is very very hard,it's so so fast dof is thin up close. . I'm not there with this one yet more work to do. Dale yours is a cracking go at it.

But man......they are such stunningly colourful birds for this little isle. One has to have the reds and yellows for this base image of two fighting to be at it's best. Thing is mate these kids are growing with a shutter racket,it's part of breakfast. Bird or beastie it matters not,if they don't fear us they behave as they should !! That's what we want to capture,even if it is set up. The edge one gets as an image maker of wildlife, from them not being scared is huge . Some will be with you next year as adults Dale there is a big picture to these hides. Ha ha and this image ;)

keep pushing kiddo,cool seeing this from the graft....... great stuff (y)

stu

Stu mate, techs,

7D, iso 320, this might explain the excessive blur, even though I'd like to keep some. I don't mind admitting, I'm worried about pushing the iso on the 7 too far, it might melt. I'm trying to convince myself though that this is in my head and may not be the 7's fault.

1250/sec,
f5,
200mm, which is actually 320mm, 35mm eqiuvalent on a 7D.

I keep trying with the 7, despite having the 5D, which would be relatively easier, if that's the right word.

I thought the BG was a little messy, nicely mushed but still messy. I am OCD about things like that though, I'm too hard on myself, this I know. A judge would rip that BG, maybe that's where it comes from within me. I agree though, with that aside, the BG does suggest environment, which if I'm honest with myself, is what it should be about.

I've been in the hide again today, a measly 2 hours, I wanted 8 plus, family life comes into it though (amongst other things), but I am grateful for that.

Bet your life I'll keep pushing mate, as long as the goldies keep coming in, I'll keep trying.

Re the kingfisher, I see blurry feathers. I learned so much that day, to be honest, just to spend time with a pair of wild kingfishers, albeit at a friend's hide, not my own, was a honour and to get pics of them was a bonus. I would do it again and I soon probably will, although I would love to get images of kingfishers that are entirely my own work. I have 2 sites with kingfishers, my local ones dissapeared this year, but getting to the further afield ones is a problem with time constraints and other stuff, maybe one day.

Got an unexpected visitor today, we quite often get them in the street, picking and pecking for grubs and bugs on the monoblocked street and driveways. I never expected to see one at the hide though, even though it wasn't at the feeders. (hefty crop)

IMG_9976 CS6 tp.jpg

been expecting these though, :mad:

IMG_9999 CS6  TP.jpg

Last edited:
Meet 'Vic', so called because of his white collar.

This is one chilled out jackdaw, he watches me when I'm in the hide, he knows I'm there. I have left the hide when he is perched and he stays put, as well as scurrying about my lawn when I'm out in the garden and he's around. He can fly, no problem, but he is very subdued, although he eats well on the feeders.

tp.jpg

A (most likely) juvenile blue tit, one of 3 that come to the hide at the moment.

This is off the 7D, I didn't quite nail the exposure and I noticed the BG looking 'blocky' after uploading to Flickr and FB. It looks ok in PS. :thinking:

Juvenile Blue Tit. by Dale, on Flickr

Loved reading all of this thread from the start - what a great job you've done. Personally not sure how you don't just spend all day in there!

Particularly enjoyed the woodpeckers.

The link supplied of the big reflection pool got me searching for private hides to rent for the day, lo and behold I actually live near John Stanton's one! Perfect.

Loved reading all of this thread from the start - what a great job you've done. Personally not sure how you don't just spend all day in there!

The link supplied of the big reflection pool got me searching for private hides to rent for the day, lo and behold I actually live near John Stanton's one! Perfect.

Millers Wood id one of my favourite places to be, really enjoy going there. Johns a great bloke and I always get great pics from there.

@Dale. - some great stuff from recent posts, its really coming together,

Thank you.

Millers Wood id one of my favourite places to be, really enjoy going there. Johns a great bloke and I always get great pics from there.

@Dale. - some great stuff from recent posts, its really coming together,

Cheers.

Loved reading.........

Looking at your avatar picture makes me think of Warnham LNR......near'ish to John for sure?

would it be possible to grow some shrubs in pots and move them as required to create the desired background ?

I missed the question, sorry. :coat:

I think that's perfectly feasible for the background. One of the problems I've had with my pool is the bottom edge, or the one closest to the hide, which can be very restrictive as it interferes with the reflection and I think this is the problem Stu has in mind too. It's not so much a worry for small birds but anything much bigger than a starling and I struggle to get the whole reflection, which is why I think it's better to have the bottom edge of the pool as near to the hide as possible, even touching it. I think 8 feet would be a good length but the longer the better, within certain limits of course.

I've not seen the woodpecker for 2 weeks now, I'm hoping for his sake he's just moved on but I'm also worried something might have happend to him. I did hear him a few times over in the woods but not even that this last week. :(

Hopefully he'll be back to the hide soon. (y)

Last edited:
I missed the question, sorry. :coat:

I think that's perfectly feasible for the background. One of the problems I've had with my pool is the bottom edge, or the one closest to the hide, which can be very restrictive as it interferes with the reflection and I think this is the problem Stu has in mind too. It's not so much a worry for small birds but anything much bigger than a starling and I struggle to get the whole reflection, which is why I think it's better to have the bottom edge of the pool as near to the hide as possible, even touching it. I think 8 feet would be a good length but the longer the better, within certain limits of course.

I've not seen the woodpecker for 2 weeks now, I'm hoping for his sake he's just moved on but I'm also worried something might have happend to him. I did hear him a few times over in the woods but not even that this last week. :(

Hopefully he'll be back to the hide soon. (y)
Thanks for that. I've not seen GSW either lately on our garden feeders but hopeful will return. I'm presuming natural food is tastier than my peanuts and suet balls [emoji3]

To confirm if your theory is correct about the bottom edge of the pool intruding, could you contact the photographers linked in this thread directly for their opinions ?

On the subject of pots and planters, I have one either side of the frame that holds the bigger perch, that have creeping soft fruit plants in them. I'm aiming to grow them around the frame to hide it. I've been wanting a bird to land on one for a while and today one did, a goldie of course. Been wanting this shot for a few weeks now.

I'm still trying to get the in flight and one of them squabbling mid air but I've found out how difficult that is, even in good light. Today's dull, grey murk wasn't helpful for inflights at all.

edit:, decently sharp on my monitor.

tp.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. That's some impressive detective work :LOL: It is indeed shot at Warnham!

Well some places stick in my memory ....... especially when triggered by the geographic proximity clue ;)

PS I bought my 12 month pass back in June and managed another visit only last Friday :). 3 hours in the new hide (with another 6 togs waiting for the magic moments) and about 10 seconds of Kingfisher though a swimming grass snake was another first for me.

It is IMO a wonderful wildlife and community resource......wish it was a bit nearer as approximate 40-50 mins drive each way!

I'm still following your work and reports Dale, and it's obvious your conscientious efforts are paying off handsomely.
Lovely crisp, clean and colourful images.

I'm still following your work and reports Dale, and it's obvious your conscientious efforts are paying off handsomely.
Lovely crisp, clean and colourful images.

Thanks Paul, every day is a school day in the hide. I'm still to get inflights I'm happy with though.

Storm Ali has been busy battering us today, I got seasick watching this but it shows Nature's resilience.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-grY2pNGi4

....and one of them hanging on, a little windswept.

Also, pleasing results from my old 7D, finally making good use of it.

tp.jpg

Last edited:
nice work kiddo,we are just seeing GSW on occasion now,leastways the kidlet,the dad was here days back. I haven't seen him for ages I think we are all seeing similar.

I noted how your goldie numbers have jumped ,it's mad Dale, you can see why i'm so perplexed by it all,now. At times I write something and it sounds so unreal,like 50 goldies,I half suspect folks are quietly going yeah right of course;)...but it's real and you are also seeing it.

light travels in straight lines so reflection length are simply down to height of camera above water surface,the lower one is the longer the reflection, Couple in height of subjects eye at t'other end and there should be ways of roughly woking this out on paper It's us wanting to be at eye level that incurs the need for a long pool:whistle:

I'm still unsure about water being right up to the hide,kiddo,makes no sense to me thus far,maybe I'll catch up.:D

love the HA in last frame bro,ha ha scruffy sods right now aren't they !!

stu

nice work kiddo,we are just seeing GSW on occasion now,leastways the kidlet,the dad was here days back. I haven't seen him for ages I think we are all seeing similar.

I noted how your goldie numbers have jumped ,it's mad Dale, you can see why i'm so perplexed by it all,now. At times I write something and it sounds so unreal,like 50 goldies,I half suspect folks are quietly going yeah right of course;)...but it's real and you are also seeing it.

light travels in straight lines so reflection length are simply down to height of camera above water surface,the lower one is the longer the reflection, Couple in height of subjects eye at t'other end and there should be ways of roughly woking this out on paper It's us wanting to be at eye level that incurs the need for a long pool:whistle:

I'm still unsure about water being right up to the hide,kiddo,makes no sense to me thus far,maybe I'll catch up.:D

love the HA in last frame bro,ha ha scruffy sods right now aren't they !!

stu

Cheers Stu.

I've lost count of the number of goldies now, it's a lot, although it has been quiet today , just maybe 10 max. still a huge improvement on what I had though. I find myself not taking pictures of them now, not every one I see I mean. At first, it was a mad rush to get the pic when I saw the first few, now, I spend most of the time just watching, I think I have enough, perched shots now and I'm still trying the inflights and landing shots with mixed success. I'll nail that one day, soon.

Length of pool, I don't think it's essential to have the nearest edge of the pool as close as possible, I just think it's better and easier to avoid the bottom edge interfering with the reflection. My pool isn't at eye level, it probably sits about 4 inches below the hatch but I don't think that shows in any reflection images I've got. I don't think I'd like to go any lower though.

I had the Fuji out there today, I've tried my old 7D for 2 weeks now and I like it more than I did, but not enough. I'm confidently working with jpegs out of the Fuji, with very little in post.

tp.jpg

pt.jpg

Last edited:
Not updated for a few days (had a bit of a fall at the weekend) but I spent some much needed time chilling in the hide today and yes, more goldfinches but they seem to be dispersing a bit now as I'm only getting about 10, I'll settle for that though.

I've been trialling different bodies in the hide, a 7D, a 40D, a 350D and a Fuji X-T10. I'm considering getting a second body to back up my 5Div, and being as I already have 4 crop sensor bodies, I wanted to prove the point as to whether or not to invest in newer crop tech. This one is with the 40D and hefty crop. The 40D's main shortcoming seems to be its ISO, which is rated at 3200 at its highest, in today's light, my 5Div would've sat at that setting with ease but the 40D did struggle but still cleaner than my 7D. Both crop sensor cameras need exagerated at times, exposing to the right. So far, as far as crop sensor cameras go in my trials, the Fuji is winning hands down.

The questions is now, do I got for more Fuji reach (ie, the 100-400) or newer (than the 7D, 40D, 350D) Canon crop tech, bearing in mind the 80D and 7Dii are getting on a bit now too. M5 or M50 maybe?

Anyway, those are just musings, I'm learning all the time, and this one is from the 40D today, @iso 3200, ultimately lacking detail. (lost some in the upload too).

Loving my new perches. ;)

tp.jpg

Last edited:
I like the new perches too. !! Dale we thought our goldies were decreasing but today it's been a bit nuts again. But again similar behaviours by the birds which is interesting as I'm so far south. Mate love the new images and the variety,I popped by to get a handle on goldie IQ,if i'm honest,been having a play myself.. .

Mate ya know ya asked me how long that food lasts,that bag...sack of sunflower hearts has just been replaced,somewhere in our convo's is an exact of just how much the goldies here eat at their highest density..We've just bought another bag

I really like the last frame bro,it's sort of classical to me,no idea why I'd say that but hey:D.!!

Mate,don't go fallin' over gravity always wins:(,hope you are mending well kiddo !! ,I've used my incredible intellect (ha ha LMAO:LOL:)to devise a way round falling over......................................shoot lying down bro ;)

Makes for an interesting goldie frame:whistle:
take care of yourself buddy
stu

I like the new perches too. !! Dale we thought our goldies were decreasing but today it's been a bit nuts again. But again similar behaviours by the birds which is interesting as I'm so far south. Mate love the new images and the variety,I popped by to get a handle on goldie IQ,if i'm honest,been having a play myself.. .

Mate ya know ya asked me how long that food lasts,that bag...sack of sunflower hearts has just been replaced,somewhere in our convo's is an exact of just how much the goldies here eat at their highest density..We've just bought another bag

I really like the last frame bro,it's sort of classical to me,no idea why I'd say that but hey:D.!!

Mate,don't go fallin' over gravity always wins:(,hope you are mending well kiddo !! ,I've used my incredible intellect (ha ha LMAO:LOL:)to devise a way round falling over......................................shoot lying down bro ;)

Makes for an interesting goldie frame:whistle:
take care of yourself buddy
stu

Cheers matey, I'm recovering now, not quite my old self but almost.

Interesting on the hearts, I'm getting through about 2kg a week, depending on what birds come in. If the starlings come in, that increases but the goldies take their time getting through a full feeder's worth, maybe a day and half.

It must be a special occasion, I got he 5Div out today. ;):LOL:

tp.jpg

Last edited:
Dale
You are getting some good stuff now and if you look at your early images compared with the later you can see how you've improved.

If you are still considering the reflection pool there is a guy on FB called Mick Freakley who shows his build in the wildlife hides group

Dale
You are getting some good stuff now and if you look at your early images compared with the later you can see how you've improved.

If you are still considering the reflection pool there is a guy on FB called Mick Freakley who shows his build in the wildlife hides group

Cheers. It is suprising what you pick up over time, I'm even predicting flightpaths now. They really are creatures of habit, birds. It's also suprising exactly how much light you need to freeze the action, even on a brightish day, it's not enough sometimes. I'm yet to get an inflight I'm happy with.

I will look that guy up, I don't think I've joined that group. Ta muchly. (y)

Glad your mending kiddo. It amazes me how you do so well, with all these different bodies Dale,I know I would struggle. As Andrew says though, you're getting some cracking stuff. I'm of the same ilk mate not terribly happy with many of the BIF images ,it really hard,isn't it. Point on SS noted,these little birds move so fast,getting enough light where our feeders are is not easy. I've taken my own advice of late (re fallin' down),been trying for something a little different,hopefully you might see something of that soonish.

Seems goldie numbers have picked back up here Dale,there were alot around at the weekend monday or tues Shaz reckons around sixty. I'm completely blown away by these numbers,I actually wondered whether to mention it,it seems rediculous. Dale I'm seeing some big individuals,both young birds and maybe full adult,I think there might be something wrong,with these odd ones,can't quite pin it down yet

must dash wanna try and process something before I fold

glad yur mending buddy it made me smile that Rich(sphexx) spotted my post I remember wishing him the best after the poor sod clattered himself right royally by the seem of it. I can't help it mate,have to send those wishes out..............once a carer...............always a carer huh :rolleyes:

like the last mate,for me you are nailing these images,but the 5div gives the best results,I can't help much with your new body thoughts,I 'm pretty sure I'd simply stay within canon,two marques seems like it might be expensive plus I couldn't cope.Hope ya get to the bottom of it though

stu

Glad your mending kiddo. It amazes me how you do so well, with all these different bodies Dale,I know I would struggle. As Andrew says though, you're getting some cracking stuff. I'm of the same ilk mate not terribly happy with many of the BIF images ,it really hard,isn't it. Point on SS noted,these little birds move so fast,getting enough light where our feeders are is not easy. I've taken my own advice of late (re fallin' down),been trying for something a little different,hopefully you might see something of that soonish.

Seems goldie numbers have picked back up here Dale,there were alot around at the weekend monday or tues Shaz reckons around sixty. I'm completely blown away by these numbers,I actually wondered whether to mention it,it seems rediculous. Dale I'm seeing some big individuals,both young birds and maybe full adult,I think there might be something wrong,with these odd ones,can't quite pin it down yet

must dash wanna try and process something before I fold

glad yur mending buddy it made me smile that Rich(sphexx) spotted my post I remember wishing him the best after the poor sod clattered himself right royally by the seem of it. I can't help it mate,have to send those wishes out..............once a carer...............always a carer huh :rolleyes:

like the last mate,for me you are nailing these images,but the 5div gives the best results,I can't help much with your new body thoughts,I 'm pretty sure I'd simply stay within canon,two marques seems like it might be expensive plus I couldn't cope.Hope ya get to the bottom of it though

stu

Cheers Stu.

The different bodies thing isn't that bad, once you get the gist of a Canon menu, they're all roughly the same, just with their own quirks. I'm still learning the 5Div though, I'm finding that quite deep but I'll get it, not so much the menus, just the 'extras'. I have the Fuji body as well but that is a simple menu, does what it says really and being dials as oppossed to buttons, what you see is what you get. One thing though for sure, the crops are great, even the 7D gives decent results in good light but 5D image quality is another level, especially when it comes to detail.

I thought the goldies were heading off to be grown ups but today has seen normal numbers at the hide, not as many as you but for a garden that had never seen them, I'll take the 10 or 20 I get. I doubt we'll be getting the light needed for the inflights from now on though, not in Ayrshire anyhoo. Maybe next spring or a crisp, winter's day.

Don't fall down like I did mate, it hurt, still does in a few places. :runaway::LOL: I get your gist, look forward to it. (y)

My thinking on the extra body is to replace the 7D but it's just a thought really, if I do, it'll be M5 with an adapter, by far the cheapest option.

....although, the XT3 and 100-400 XF both look lovely.:whistle::LOL:

Today, I'm itching to get out the hide, but the weather is pants. It's not so much that, I'm in a dry hide after all but the light is rubbish.

Which got me thinking. I got a Screwfix flyer through the door yesterday and one of the items is a 10 Watt, portable and recharcheable LED floodlight. This would be great for putting outside the hide and lighting up the scene. I think a 10 watt would make the difference, being LED as they are quite strong but not overpowering.

I have 2 problems though, the first and main one is the ethics of it. Is it ethic at all or a non event? Let the conscience battle begin, as well as lots of Googling the subject.

The 2nd problem is would the birds be bothered by it, which is kind of similar to my first problem or would they just get used to it? I think they'd accept it eventually but see problem No.1.

This is just a thought and won't be implemented until I'm satisfied it will have no detriment to the birds.

:thinking:

Today, I'm itching to get out the hide, but the weather is pants. It's not so much that, I'm in a dry hide after all but the light is rubbish.

Which got me thinking. I got a Screwfix flyer through the door yesterday and one of the items is a 10 Watt, portable and recharcheable LED floodlight. This would be great for putting outside the hide and lighting up the scene. I think a 10 watt would make the difference, being LED as they are quite strong but not overpowering.

I have 2 problems though, the first and main one is the ethics of it. Is it ethic at all or a non event? Let the conscience battle begin, as well as lots of Googling the subject.

The 2nd problem is would the birds be bothered by it, which is kind of similar to my first problem or would they just get used to it? I think they'd accept it eventually but see problem No.1.

This is just a thought and won't be implemented until I'm satisfied it will have no detriment to the birds.

:thinking:
This one will divide opinion but if you love what your doing and the birds are enjoying a free feed why not look at just using fill flash like many people do ? even set up a flash on a remote stand with cheap wireless controller ?

Loving your thread from start to finish, very jealous and something I want to build when we finally move

Thank you, I'm glad you're enyoing it and gaining something from it. (y)

This one will divide opinion but if you love what your doing and the birds are enjoying a free feed why not look at just using fill flash like many people do ? even set up a flash on a remote stand with cheap wireless controller ?

Yes, I'm sure opinions will differ on this, I don't have one of my own yet. I always like to see what thoughts are on major changes like the light are as my first concern will always be the birds or any other wildlife that comes into the garden. I've considered flashes, I have 2 speedlights and triggers for both. The jury is out for me on flashes too, for the above reasons. I wouldn't want a speedlight of mine outside right now, I'd probably find it 2 streets away, it's that windy.:LOL: I could rig something inside the hide though and that is probably the way to do it with flash indoors, so to speak. Food for thought.

Very useful links and interesting too. I think I'd need to use the bigger hatch though. :LOL:

With flash, the 7D is limited to 1/250 sec, so I'm guessing high speed flash is the way? Something else to learn. (y):banana:

Back