Dale's Garden Hide. (been a busy boy)

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
Kingfisher is one of the birds I miss up here tbh and love your image further back in the thread. I’ll send you some of our siskins, they are obviously tougher than yours as they see off the sparrows. :LOL:

OP
OP
Dale.
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Kingfisher is one of the birds I miss up here tbh and love your image further back in the thread. I’ll send you some of our siskins, they are obviously tougher than yours as they see off the sparrows. :LOL:

Siskins, feisty little things for their size, it's only when you see them next to a chaffinch or sparrow that you see how tiny they are.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
There are some excellent ideas here. I am hoping my new move by the end of the year will give me some time out to spend it on building a hide(s) and using all these ideas. Good thing is, its in the National Dartmoor area in Devon. It has mainly 1.7 acres of woodland which is the garden of this new home. Hurray no grass to cut! And comes with fresh water pools and rest areas, all created by the present owner. It is going to be a photographers paradise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dale.
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
There are some excellent ideas here. I am hoping my new move by the end of the year will give me some time out to spend it on building a hide(s) and using all these ideas. Good thing is, its in the National Dartmoor area in Devon. It has mainly 1.7 acres of woodland which is the garden of this new home. Hurray no grass to cut! And comes with fresh water pools and rest areas, all created by the present owner. It is going to be a photographers paradise.

not jealous, much.

;)

OP
OP
Dale.
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't work from home anymore :( missing my bird photography fun. Glad to see it's still working for you
I'd miss mine too.

Although, this last few weeks, it's been mainly sparrows with just the odd visit from siskins, goldfinches and redpolls, I guess they are away being busy sitting on eggs and foraging for natural high protien foodstuffs. I've not spent much time out there but I have kept the feeders topped up.

So, one from a couple weeks ago, just to keep things ticking along, a windswept bluey.

tp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dale.
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Plenty happening at the hide just now but not so much from a photography point of view. The light isn't great and the sparrows have taken over for the summer whilst the more colourful ones are away sitting on eggs and raising young.

I thought though, I'd do a comparison, as I got to thinking of those first images I took when I first started this project early last year, 2018. It has taught me a lot in that time, both about bird habits and camera settings, I even managed to push my old 7D out of its comfort zone and got images from it with very little grain. The 5D though is another league still.

Anyway, one of the first images from my hide's early days and a much more recent one. I've come a long way personally but there is always room for improvement.

One from last June, just about a year ago. I was quite excited about this back in the day.

tp.jpg

...and a more recent one.

tp.jpg

Last edited: