Dambusters Anniversary Flight

Derwent lane? That’s in Hathersage. From the Fairholmes Car Park you can get to either side of the dam/reservoir though. I’m guessing you’ll have to get there early if you want to park in the Car Park. I’m not sure it’ll be as busy as last time though as it’s midweek compared to the weekend last time.

Thanks. Google maps shows the road to the East of the reservoir as Derwent Lane, I'll check my OS map tomorrow. Push bike may be the best option. Hopefully it will not be as busy as last time, but I expect the traffic will still be difficult.

Thanks. Google maps shows the road to the East of the reservoir as Derwent Lane, I'll check my OS map tomorrow. Push bike may be the best option. Hopefully it will not be as busy as last time, but I expect the traffic will still be difficult.
So it does, that’s two Derwent Lanes pretty nearby each other then. From the Car Park there’s a road that loops round in front of the dam and up Derwent Lane.

I’m putting the bike in the boot in case I can’t get close.

As an alternative to the upper Derwent valley reservoirs, it's also flying over Eyebrook reservoir in Leicestershire - it'll head down there after flying over the Rolls Royce factory in Derby. Might be worth considering for those who live further south?

As an alternative to the upper Derwent valley reservoirs, it's also flying over Eyebrook reservoir in Leicestershire - it'll head down there after flying over the Rolls Royce factory in Derby. Might be worth considering for those who live further south?
Yeah, another testing ground for them. I’m not sure of the lay of the land there though and whether you can get a good vantage point?

I'm thinking of going to the Derwent if the Lancaster is flying and the weather forecast looks reasonable for photography. As it's likely that traffic congestion will be an issue when it comes to leaving after the flypast, does anyone fancy an informal forum members' meet-up while the traffic clears a bit? Maybe bring a flask and some butties and have a bit of a picnic near the visitor centre if there's room, or somewhere else suitable nearby? Might be better than sitting in a traffic jam listening to Jeremy Vine? :thinking:

I'm thinking of going to the Derwent if the Lancaster is flying and the weather forecast looks reasonable for photography. As it's likely that traffic congestion will be an issue when it comes to leaving after the flypast, does anyone fancy an informal forum members' meet-up while the traffic clears a bit? Maybe bring a flask and some butties and have a bit of a picnic near the visitor centre if there's room, or somewhere else suitable nearby? Might be better than sitting in a traffic jam listening to Jeremy Vine? :thinking:
Sounds like a good idea. Will depend where I end up parking and whether I park at Fairholmes or cycle up.

Sounds like a good idea. Will depend where I end up parking and whether I park at Fairholmes or cycle up.
That's the good thing about informal, we can see how things go and decide on this thread the evening before and if people want to give it a go then fine, and if we decide it's not worth the mither then fair enough. :)

We can always eat our butties while parked in the car, and listening to Jeremy Vine is optional! :D

Last edited:
Yeah, another testing ground for them. I’m not sure of the lay of the land there though and whether you can get a good vantage point?

I really don't know. I'm not familiar with Eyebrook at all. This youtube vid of the 2013 flypast might give some clues?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rJOn4QdmdE

Just looking on google maps at the walk from Bamford to Derwent Dam - 6 miles - or 2 hours according to google. I can walk 6 miles in 1.5 hours which would put me at the dam about 11am if I get the train I'm planning to.

So I'm wondering whether it's worth the extra walk up to Derwent, or take more time finding a spot down at Ladbower. The hillsides either side of Ladybower look quite heavily tree-lined, does that mean it's harder finding a good vantage point?

Just looking on google maps at the walk from Bamford to Derwent Dam - 6 miles - or 2 hours according to google. I can walk 6 miles in 1.5 hours which would put me at the dam about 11am if I get the train I'm planning to.

So I'm wondering whether it's worth the extra walk up to Derwent, or take more time finding a spot down at Ladbower. The hillsides either side of Ladybower look quite heavily tree-lined, does that mean it's harder finding a good vantage point?[/QUOTE]

Have a look at Bamford Edge, the views over Ladybower are great, no trees but possibly not close enough for photos of the Lancaster.

Attachments

• IMG_9003.jpg
    IMG_9003.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Are they flying over the lakes too, or are you coming down to Derbyshire?

Sorry I should have mentioned that it's a Lake District Facebook walking group but yes, we are coming to Derbyshire for this particular event.

We are stopping at Pike Low Cairn en-route for an early lunch break and to watch the fly past

Anyone been to that location ?

So I'm wondering whether it's worth the extra walk up to Derwent, or take more time finding a spot down at Ladbower. The hillsides either side of Ladybower look quite heavily tree-lined, does that mean it's harder finding a good vantage point?
It depends whether you just want to see the plane, or see them in context over the dam? There's nothing to say for sure that they will fly over Ladybower but I'd be very surprised if they don't. I can't see them immediately circling back after going over Derwent Dam (apparently they're doing two flyovers) and I would imagine there'll be quite a lot of people wanting to watch from Ashopton Bridge etc. The vantage point that Archie posted a pic of at Bamford Edge is a bit of a climb, but not too bad. I would say it'd take 30-45mins to get to that point from the main road running through Bamford. As they're flying over Chatsworth too I would imagine (although can't say for sure) that they will fly straight over Ladybower, over Bamford, past Curbar Edge and over Chatsworth. As you can see from the map I've done below, Derwent to Chatsworth is pretty much a straight line past Ladybower and Bamford. As I mentioned before, if this is the flight path then Curbar Edge and Beeley Moor would give great views of the plane passing over.

(image is much clearer on Flickr)

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 08.52.37
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Have a look at Bamford Edge, the views over Ladybower are great, no trees but possibly not close enough for photos of the Lancaster.

Sorry I should have mentioned that it's a Lake District Facebook walking group but yes, we are coming to Derbyshire for this particular event.

We are stopping at Pike Low Cairn en-route for an early lunch break and to watch the fly past

Anyone been to that location ?
Never heard of it tbh.

Last edited:
Not heard anything back from BBMF. Going to play it by ear on Wednesday. If I think I can make it up to Derwent in plenty of time to get a good vantage point, I will do. Derwent dam looks better as a backdrop anyway with the towers, and is more 'authentic' as that was the one that was used in the original practice runs.

If lots of people seem to be congregating at Ladybower and seem certain that it's coming over, I might stay there. I'll see how it goes.

My walking route. I walk a bit quicker than google does (when I have to). So I think I can get to the dam by around 11ish, which gives me an hour to find a spot on the hillside and get myself ready for the flypast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76999116@N05/

Last edited:
Not heard anything back from BBMF. Going to play it by ear on Wednesday. If I think I can make it up to Derwent in plenty of time to get a good vantage point, I will do. Derwent dam looks better as a backdrop anyway with the towers, and is more 'authentic' as that was the one that was used in the original practice runs.

If lots of people seem to be congregating at Ladybower and seem certain that it's coming over, I might stay there. I'll see how it goes.

My walking route. I walk a bit quicker than google does (when I have to). So I think I can get to the dam by around 11ish, which gives me an hour to find a spot on the hillside and get myself ready for the flypast.

I don't think they're allowed to release exact flightpaths these days tbh. I've got access to someone's drive so I'm pretty sure I'll park there and then cycle up to Derwent Dam. I'll lock the bike up there and then walk up to the vantage point I posted previously. I've just rented an 80-400mm for it too as the 150-600mm is not wide enough to get the whole of the dam and plane in.

Think I have pretty much decided on my 70-200 f4 and leaving the 150-600 at home due to weight as I would need to carry it round the full route we have planned of 10 miles

The weight difference of those two is huge :)

I'm in the "fortunate" position of not having to leave an over-long or over-heavy lens at home. lol

Taking my 70-300 because it's the only suitable lens I have!

I would normally take my Sigma 17-70 to take some landscapes as well, but that might be sacrificed to fit some lunch in my bag.

I was in the area yesterday and saw no parking signs for lancaster flypast in Bamford. A friend of mine used to park up at Strines bridge and walk over the moors, its not too far but mot many people think about it. Another option with a longer walk is to park at the Flouch car park on the woodhead pass and walk over cut gate path. As for which side of the valley to climb, theres almost nowhere on the western side that will give a good view.

Worth keeping an eye on the weather before venturing out. The forecast at RAF Coningsby on Wednesday is currently for winds of 15 knots gusting to 27 knots. The Lancaster is only allowed to take off if the wind is less than 25 knots and if the crosswind is more than 15 knots then they won’t be going anywhere.

Worth keeping an eye on the weather before venturing out. The forecast at RAF Coningsby on Wednesday is currently for winds of 15 knots gusting to 27 knots. The Lancaster is only allowed to take off if the wind is less than 25 knots and if the crosswind is more than 15 knots then they won’t be going anywhere.
Any idea when they will decide and how they will notify people?

Tomorrow’s forecast is 20mph, I don’t know what that relates to in knots..
17.3 knots according to an online calculator.

To be honest that’s too close to call yourself. I’m sure BBMF will put something on social media if they cancel because they can’t take off/land safely. Best to go but with a backup plan of something else to do in the area in case they can’t get there. It would be worst to call it yourself and not go, then later see photos on here of it flying over the dam!

Any idea when they will decide and how they will notify people?
I’m sure they will let people know via social media if it’s not going to happen after the pre flight weather checks. They know some people are travelling large distances to be there so will be taking that into account as well as the danger to aircrew and aircraft. We have one of the most professional air forces in the world. If there is a risk to aircrew or the plane they wouldn’t take the risk. If they can safely take off and land then they will be there even it that means delaying it by an hour or two. As it’s the 100th and 75th anniversaries you can be sure the RAF will get there if they can.

Best just to be there knowing there is a (small) chance they may not get there (you most likely need to be in position before they even take off as flight time won’t be too long and that area of the peaks is going to be crazy busy tomorrow).

Last edited:
I’m sure they will let people know via social media if it’s not going to happen after the pre flight weather checks. They know some people are travelling large distances to be there so will be taking that into account as well as the danger to aircrew and aircraft. We have one of the most professional air forces in the world. If there is a risk to aircrew or the plane they wouldn’t take the risk. If they can safely take off and land then they will be there even it that means delaying it by an hour or two. As it’s the 100th and 75th anniversaries you can be sure the RAF will get there if they can.

Best just to be there knowing there is a (small) chance they may not get there (you most likely need to be in position before they even take off as flight time won’t be too long and that area of the peaks is going to be crazy busy tomorrow).
Thanks. The trouble is there's no phone signal at Derwent (at least on O2) so once I'm there there's no way of me checking. I'm aiming to get to Bamford for 9.30am ish, meaning by the time I've cycled up it'll be 10 ish. After that I can't check for updates.

Driving up today from Oxfordshire, staying overnight at my daughters in Nottingham, then to the Derwent Dam early tomorrow. Was going to take the 150 - 600 sigma but now wondering after looking at snerkler's shots, leaving the sigma at home and just taking the 70 - 200 f2.8 and 1.4 converter. any thoughts?

Rgds Paul

Driving up today from Oxfordshire, staying overnight at my daughters in Nottingham, then to the Derwent Dam early tomorrow. Was going to take the 150 - 600 sigma but now wondering after looking at snerkler's shots, leaving the sigma at home and just taking the 70 - 200 f2.8 and 1.4 converter. any thoughts?

Rgds Paul
Well I had arranged to hire the 80-400mm but it's looking at though Wex have let me down. I'm now unsure whether to take the 150-600mm and get a slightly tighter shot of the plane passing the dam and then a nice close up of the plane, or whether to take the 70-200mm to get the wide shot and then crop to get the close up. I'm not sure how much I'd need to crop a shot at 200mm to almost fill the frame though. Knowing me I'll end up taking both and use one lens for the first pass and the other lens for the second pass. I have checked and I can get both lenses into my backpack at a squeeze.

I will probably do the same, take both as they both fit into my small bag ok. Looking at google maps there is a road close to the Dam which looks like the tree's obscure line of sight and a path leading up the hill to the left of the Dam, is this where you took your shots from.

Rgds Paul

Just going to have to hope. Waiting for any kind of positive indication of flying conditions means not getting there on time. My journey starts at 7am. I'll already be well up around the dams by the time take off is scheduled.

A shame it's not today as it's glorious.

I'm going to take a chance on it if it's not been cancelled by the time I set off early tomorrow morning. If it's off when I get there, and they're not sending anything else instead (a Typhoon and a Tornado jet might be nice instead if they're reading this!), then I'll probably take a few landscape shots and get a pub lunch on the way home, so it won't be a wasted day, although the weather forecast looks a bit flat for landscape photography. Oh, and there's mention of some light rain/drizzle around 9am so might be best to pack a waterproof if you're getting there early just in case. However, given the accuracy of some weather forecasts, factor 20 suncream might be more useful!

I'm going to take a chance on it if it's not been cancelled by the time I set off early tomorrow morning. If it's off when I get there, and they're not sending anything else instead (a Typhoon and a Tornado jet might be nice instead if they're reading this!), then I'll probably take a few landscape shots and get a pub lunch on the way home, so it won't be a wasted day, although the weather forecast looks a bit flat for landscape photography. Oh, and there's mention of some light rain/drizzle around 9am so might be best to pack a waterproof if you're getting there early just in case. However, given the accuracy of some weather forecasts, factor 20 suncream might be more useful!
There was some talk of sending an alternative plane, but I can't remember which. A Dakota rings a bell, but that might just be me getting confused with the one that flew over Hardwick ;)

I will probably do the same, take both as they both fit into my small bag ok. Looking at google maps there is a road close to the Dam which looks like the tree's obscure line of sight and a path leading up the hill to the left of the Dam, is this where you took your shots from.

Rgds Paul
This is a map that was given to me by another forum member (the red arrow and lines). He stood a bit higher than me for his shots last time (circles in red), the shot I posted on here was from where the yellow arrow is. You access the field where the blue arrow is thought a gate (I'm not sure it's that exact location but not far off). The green arrow show the main Fairholmes Car Park.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 08.51.43
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I'll stick a post in here about 7-7.30am tomorrow with what weather is like out my windows, its only about 10 Miles from mine so might give the early risers an idea.

Had a map sent from our walk organiser and a picture of our viewpoint and it looks like we will be in line with that dam around the point where the blue arrow starts (or a little further to the right and higher up)

Looks to be a cracking spot

Had a map sent from our walk organiser and a picture of our viewpoint and it looks like we will be in line with that dam around the point where the blue arrow starts (or a little further to the right and higher up)

Looks to be a cracking spot
It will be higher up, you can't see the dam from the blue arrow ;)

It will be higher up, you can't see the dam from the blue arrow ;)

Yes, it looks to be quite high on the picture he has sent. Thats the reason the Sigma 150-600 is staying at home :-(

Snip:
Thats the reason the Sigma 150-600 is staying at home :-(
I've been tempted, but that's the reason I'm saving up to buy a Canon 100-400 L IS MkII instead. Never mind, at least you can have a chuckle at the old 75-300 EF IS I'll be having to use tomorrow! ;)

Last edited:
Yes, it looks to be quite high on the picture he has sent. Thats the reason the Sigma 150-600 is staying at home :-(
Wouldn't that be more of a reason to use the 150-600mm?

Back