Dancer...no pole!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
This young lady is a Pole Dancer, and if I heard correctly, a champion at it. I didn't go out with the intention of shooting anything, other than a few snaps for a mates birthday. I didn't know there was a floor show :)
(Although what use a pole dancer was to a 75yr old raging queen, I'll never fathom :D )
Anywaayy...
I went for a B+W conversion on this, I thought the grainy look would suit the lighting. Plus my 60D is of course, quite noisy at 3200ISO!

Pole Dancer B&W by Michael B O'Brien, on Flickr

Right, every post in this thread has been deleted.

The rules clearly state that the comments must be restricted to the photography and not the model herself.

Shall we try again?

i think the B&W version is fine but I find it hard to gauge how exactly good a photo like this is without seeing the colour original.

The only thing I don't really like is the blown hair I find it draws attention away from the dancer...it is quite a dark image in that it feels a little like there is some dark history to the dancer like bad stuff has happened in her past :thinking: but I do like the image overall the use of a quite gritty B&W really adds to the mood of the image for me (y)

Thanks, Ged :)
The colour original was pretty much monochromatic any way, albeit shades of red, rather than grey. I'm finding it a pretty typical stage-lighting scenario, single gelled can.

have you tried neatimage or similar to push the ISO without too much image quality compromise.
personally, I think the B/W treatment works well for this subject

Got that, Matt! (MWHCVT) I think I've boosted the red channel too far during the conversion. Looking at the original, the hair isn't blown. Back to the editor for me :)
I'm glad you like the darkness, your description is pretty much how I wanted it to come across (y)

Last edited:
Thanks, DizMatt!
(I've just downloaded neatimage, too. Nice one, they do it for 64bit Linux :) I'll have a play later)

I'm no pro but here's may take...

Being a posed shot it may have been better to drop the ISO to reduce the noise and then reducing the shutter speed. I also think the focus is on the knee rather than the face.

Thanks for the comments, Duncan (y)
Just a small point, it wasn't a posed shot, it was during the performance :)

Got that, Matt! (MWHCVT) I think I've boosted the red channel too far during the conversion. Looking at the original, the hair isn't blown. Back to the editor for me :)
I'm glad you like the darkness, your description is pretty much how I wanted it to come across (y)

Is not just the hair either, there are blown patches on the body too - it would be interesting to see the original shot

I like the pose which is well spotted but I'm really not keen on the lighting on this. It is not flattering to the subject and generally is too harsh and contrasty for this type of shot.

In addition the highlights and shadows fall on on the wrong places, (All IMHO of course) unless you were trying to make some sort of statement which I'm missing

Last edited:
it would be interesting to see the original shot
There you go :)

Many thanks to all who commented so far. At the very least it looks like I've made a hash of the conversion/editing and lost some of my objectivity when I posted it and have been rightly chastised :) Which is a good thing :)

Back