Dark Tents

Edit My Images
Yes
Any thoughts on dark tents? I currently have a two-layer changing bag of decent size which is okay for loading roll film into tanks, but is a bit restrictive for handling sheet film, both for loading into holders and into tanks. The overall size is okay, but I'm always trying to keep the upper layer of the bag away from my hands.

There doesn't seem to be much choice in dark tents. About the only affordable one I've found is at Calumet...

https://www.calphoto.co.uk/product/Calumet-Film-Changing-Room-Bag/RM1000

AG do what looks like the same one for a tenner less, but plus delivery (I can collect from Calumet). There's also a Photoflex branded one with the sleeves more at the sides, but I've only seen that at US shops (not an option in the UK due to shipping costs). My only misgiving with the Calumet one is that the sleeves look a bit close together, but I haven't seen it in the flesh or tried it out.

Anyone using the Calumet/AG one? How is it for space for handling 5x4 film/holders/tanks? Are the sleeve positions okay?

Any others to consider?

Yep, I've got that one. Perfectly ok for 5x4. Plenty of room to load/unload film holders and load my Mod 54.

I much prefer a tent to a bag, but I'm using the Harrison one which now costs rather more than I paid some years ago.

ChangingTent.jpg

I've got one and it's absolutely fine for 5x4. It's bigger than you might think when it is up, so here's a couple of photos of it in use when I reviewed the Ilford Obscura for another website.
Obscura River Beauly filmtent.jpg Obscura filmtent car.jpg

The Calumet one has been in use by a succession of folk here in Cornwall, and everyone seems to be loading their 4*5 OK...

@stevelmx5 :bat:

@Nomad Z the calumet one is fine for 4x5, plenty of room for loading/unloading dark slides. Personally I would prefer if the sleeves were fabric rather than some sort of synthetic/plastic and the tent is best used on a solid surface but apart from that it's fine. In an ideal world I'd like one of the Harrison tents but only for the slightly larger floor space.

Thanks all. I went to Calumet yesterday for a look, but the only one they had in stock had a damaged zip - apparently, it will automatically get replaced when they flag it as faulty in their system. Aside from that, it seemed okay. I did feel the arm holes could be a bit wider, but I was still able to move my hands around to the sides.

Back