Darkroom build , Do I or don't I ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Just recently I have been toying with the idea of setting up a darkroom ( Permenant install ) in what is a spare bedroom Oh Hold on a JUNK room
I have a few darkroom bits , Not done any dev / printing for 45 years , Did a night school course that many years ago
Neering retiremant it could be something for me to do that will involve going out and about with the camera then into the darkroom

So do I or don't I that is the question ?

Yes.

Just recently I have been toying with the idea of setting up a darkroom ( Permenant install ) in what is a spare bedroom Oh Hold on a JUNK room
I have a few darkroom bits , Not done any dev / printing for 45 years , Did a night school course that many years ago
Neering retiremant it could be something for me to do that will involve going out and about with the camera then into the darkroom

So do I or don't I that is the question ?
Your profile suggests you are in London, and I see there is a site listing 11 public darkrooms there. In normal times I would have suggested trying one of those first before going all out at home, but alas I would expect these are now closed for business for some time to come. "Permanent" is quite a big commitment if it includes the installation of running water, but absolutely go for it otherwise as far as the dry side is concerned, since you can always do the washing in another room.

It depends on how much you want to make your own prints? Do you enjoy playing with chemicals ? If it’s the occasional prints then as Peter B advised it would be prudent to try out the above places. It’s so much easier to buy a large printer and do that so you would really have to love the darkroom to dedicate one room specially for that.

Yes - do it! Especially permanent. I've had 2 temporary set ups. One in our only bathroom - not conducive to the kids bath times - and the second under the stairs in the old pantry.

Both worked well in terms of being light tight but I'm now building one in my large shed, which will have electricity, water and ventilation. It will mean I can leave equipment set up and not need to make windows, door and vents light tight every single time.

I imagine my view would not be welcome as I gave up darkrooms and film over 15 years ago. One of the reasons, though not necessarily the main reason was that I had a temporary darkroom rather than the dedicated darkroom I had before the second child came along. You cannot beat having that dedicated darkroom so, if the option is there, take it.

Dave

Last edited:
... "Permanent" is quite a big commitment if it includes the installation of running water, but absolutely go for it otherwise as far as the dry side is concerned, since you can always do the washing in another room.

Good point, although @thedarkshed built his... darkshed... at the end of the garden, without running water or drainage. IIRC he has a tank that he fills with a hose, and empties waste water/chems into another tank that he empties... somehow. It is, BTW, a VERY impressive darkroom, maybe 20 feet long by 10 wide. He does a "darkshed live" YT video every or most weeks, I think.

OK gents thanks for the reply's
Re get a decent printer , I have a Pro 1000 that does not get the use it should
Back in the past 45 years ago that magic of seeing a print appear on the paper just won't go away
I much prefur the hands on approach in regard to ( Camera ) what film / fliters / meter readings etc as I am useless with photoshop / lightroom etc
Having time for a DR session when retired and when at home in the dark dreary winter evenings now sounds appealing :)

Last edited:
I much prefur the hands on approach in regard to ( Camera ) what film / fliters / meter readings etc
Ditto!

Go for it, what have you got to lose?....... If after a while it proves itself not be as expected , just revert the space back to a spare room.
By the he sounds you’ll have no regrets or need to reverse the project but if you don’t give at whirl, you’ll never know.

i only had very minimal darkroom experience back in the 80’s and then for various reasons never had the opportunity to continue with the practice even though I did have a regular yearn to do so.
Only this year have I got seriously back into it and even in a small studio apartment ( what we used to know as bedsits!) , I make the effort to black out windows etc ....... a little time consuming at times but I have no regrets and doubt that I’ll revert back to PS although I do continue to use the computer method alongside traditional wet printing as imo they both have a place and each have advantages.

On the other hand, after 55 years of photography; the only room, lit by a red light, that I will enter is one inhabited by a lady of negotiable affection! :naughty: :coat:

On the other hand, after 55 years of photography; the only room, lit by a red light, that I will enter is one inhabited by a lady of negotiable affection! :naughty: :coat:

Assuming that you have a good lady in your life, be prepared for when she comes across your post! :runaway::bat::jawdrop::mad:

:LOL::LOL:

Assuming that you have a good lady in your life, be prepared for when she comes across your post!
She's had me long enough to know me too well! :wideyed:

As long as you do not do colour processing, in which case you will need the light off!:cool:

Well if someone is married and to stop the wife moaning yanno like the rooms need decorating etc and you are going to build a darkroom ... it helps to take pictures of her, family etc to get her involved in seeing the results (y)

Well if someone is married and to stop the wife moaning yanno like the rooms need decorating etc and you are going to build a darkroom ... it helps to take pictures of her, family etc to get her involved in seeing the results (y)
Oh Brian, you live in a completely different world to the rest of us. Mrs Snap does not agree and I suggest you keep well away from Cheshire for a while....;-)

Let's step into the darkroom and see what develops!

I moved from my last house in 1987 but I had a room set up as a darkroom. A couple visited at short notice to view the house and as I opened door of Bedroom 4 (my darkroom), I realised I had left the window blacked out and it was lit by a red light. The guy said nothing initially so I apologised for leaving the room in this state. No he said do not apologise, I have always wanted a dedicated darkroom. He offered the full price for the house and I left the Blackout and red light for him (a satisfied customer).

At my Camera Club (which dates back over 150 years) our history shows that in the 1900's the club had separate ladies and gentleman's darkrooms.

Dave

Oh Brian, you live in a completely different world to the rest of us

ah well wait till you are 80 and see if Mrs Snap complains about rooms need decorating, new carpets, new boiler, new car etc....my wife has a list. :(

ah well wait till you are 80 and see if Mrs Snap complains about rooms need decorating, new carpets, new boiler, new car etc....my wife has a list. :(
So long as that list doesn’t inc new hubby then all is good Bri ;), nonetheless perhaps best to be well behaved and show willing ....... like buying a paintbrush:p

Back