Darkslinger's 52 Week Challenge - 2023

Week #37 Hollow.

Shot on time, just a little late posting them.

I found this hollow shell of a building that was a little lackluster overall but thought that I'd give it a go trying to make the shotes a little more interesting

Sep 17-23 (1 of 4).JPG

Sep 17-23 (4 of 4).JPG

Sep 17-23 (3 of 4).JPG

I really like your chosen shot (out of a strong set, but that one especially). It really draws me into the the (hollow) space with the rows of props (we'd call them Acrow Props here in the UK, what are they called in Canada?). But the one gold coloured one in the foreground, really sets it off - creating discord to heighten the harmony; a dynamic tension.

Really good!

Urban - I lean to #2 - a bit of social realism!
Hollow - an interesting set. The light and shade on #2 appeals.

Good set of shots for hollow, anyone could of gone in the main thread.
Thanks Dave.

I really like your chosen shot (out of a strong set, but that one especially). It really draws me into the the (hollow) space with the rows of props (we'd call them Acrow Props here in the UK, what are they called in Canada?). But the one gold coloured one in the foreground, really sets it off - creating discord to heighten the harmony; a dynamic tension.

Really good!
Thanks Paul, I'm not sure what they are called here, I couldn't find a common name for them.

Good colours in there.
Thank you Alan.

Good set with some great colours and interesting pipework there
Thanks Keith.

Urban - I lean to #2 - a bit of social realism!
Hollow - an interesting set. The light and shade on #2 appeals.
Thanks Helen, you're right about the social realism, it was the discarded detritus that first grabbed my eye.

I thought that that one had a bit of a "construction still-life" to it....

#38 - Solid

I didn't know what I was going to go with for this theme and time was running out but I had to attend a manager's workshop which was on the 19th floor of an office tower downtown for a couple of days and thought that I'd make the best of a POV that I don't usually have. It was while there that I saw all of these pops of solid colour so I decided that that would be my choice, solid colours.

I saw this solid black building across from us and thought that it would make a good shot with one of the seaplanes coming into the harbour:
Sep 27-23 (3 of 7).JPG

And on the second day the same building really popped against the bright overcast sky:
Sep 27-23 (1 of 4).JPG

The solid orange safety vest of this window washer hanging 20 floors above the ground caught my eye:
Sep 27-23 (4 of 7).JPG

And the pops of the solid yellow and orange in the water also stood out:
Sep 27-23 (2 of 7).JPG

On a "closer to the ground" perspective, I spotted this leaf in the (mostly) solid aquamarine (blue?) of this railing:

Sep 27-23 (6 of 7).JPG

Good set bill and agree you have picked the best shot for the theme, being central and so dark it has much more impact

All good solid images Bill, your chosen shot for the main thread is a cracking image.
Thanks Dave.

Another good set Bill, and your chosen shot really works.
Thank you Paul.

Good set bill and agree you have picked the best shot for the theme, being central and so dark it has much more impact
Thanks Keith, the light was really good and it jumped out at me.

Good set of images Bill.

Have to say I’m drawn to the first one.
Thanks Kell, yeah, I almost chose that one. I liked just the corner of the black building and having one of the harbour planes coming in for a landing made it for me.

Nice set of shots. I'm with you on the chosen shot.. well framed and minimalist!
Thanks Helen.

#39 - Gate(s)

Late posting again...:confused:

I went out to Fort Langley this past week and found a surfeit of gates...

This is the gate that leads to the local cemetery:
Oct 03-23 (1 of 1)-13.JPG

I don't think that this gate is going to open anytime soon and it looks like the bus to Honeymoon Bay is going to be late :D
Oct 03-23 (1 of 1)-15.JPG

I liked the bench and the back fence seen through the slats of this gate:
Oct 03-23 (1 of 1)-16.JPG

This gate, leading to a backyard was striking with the colours of the leaves surrounding it:
Oct 03-23 (1 of 1)-17.JPG

Thought that I'd try for a close-up of the patina of rust on this gate:
Oct 03-23 (1 of 1)-18.JPG

This one didn't quite turn out as I pictured it in my mind. A bit of a rural still-life with the lawnmower parked to one side of the gate:
Oct 03-23 (1 of 1)-19.JPG

Good set of gates there bill, looks like the honeymoon is over. Great colours on your chosen shot, really pops against the darker background.

Good set of gates there bill, looks like the honeymoon is over. Great colours on your chosen shot, really pops against the darker background.
LOL, yeah, I saw the destination on the old bus and knew I would have to post it.

Another strong set, and I think you chose the right one.
Thank you Paul.

Good set of images Bill.

Came to this thread first before seeing the main thread and have to say I totally agree with your choice.
Thanks Kell.

You have a nice set of urban images, they give a good feel for the location. I love the first one, the family of people look in awe of the rocket.
Hollow - I think you're acheived what you set out to do, I see 3 interesting images on a pretty mundane subject.
Solid - that first one is very sobering as I instantly think of 911. My favourite is the leaf, the contrasting subjects and colours really make it stand out and I like the way the leaf is pointing along the girder.
Gate - lovely colours in the first and fourth ones and an interesting find for the second image.

Love the red and orange colours of the leaves in your Gate image. Lovely contrast with the simple vertical lines in the plain gate.

Solid. Always interesting to see your thought processes as you work the theme through. I like the solid colours of the two boats you have used too.

You have a nice set of urban images, they give a good feel for the location. I love the first one, the family of people look in awe of the rocket.
Hollow - I think you're acheived what you set out to do, I see 3 interesting images on a pretty mundane subject.
Solid - that first one is very sobering as I instantly think of 911. My favourite is the leaf, the contrasting subjects and colours really make it stand out and I like the way the leaf is pointing along the girder.
Gate - lovely colours in the first and fourth ones and an interesting find for the second image.
Thanks Nicky, to be honest your comment on the first Solid image took me by surprise, I didn't even think of that but now that you pointed it out, I can't not think of it.

Great set of gates Bill. The colours on your chosen shot are wonderful.
Thanks Simon.

Love the red and orange colours of the leaves in your Gate image. Lovely contrast with the simple vertical lines in the plain gate.

Solid. Always interesting to see your thought processes as you work the theme through. I like the solid colours of the two boats you have used too.
Thanks Graham, the gate shot was a no-brainer for me when I saw the colours and the organic shape of the leaves and branches against the straight lines of the gate.

Some great shots there.. love the bus. However, the colour in your chosen shot is stunning.
It took me a moment to see the bus sign and then I laughed out loud but you're right the colours of the tree against the gate made it a clear winner for me.

#41 - Upright

It's mushroom time again where I am. I'm a sucker for shooting close-up of tiny capped mushrooms on their fragile upright stems. These are from a walk through a local off-leash dog park.

These are all tiny, most no bigger then the length of my thumbnail. Most are taken using focus stacking. The OM-1 has an in-camera function that automatically takes 8 shots at different focus points. The camera will also combine them but I am not fan of that software so I import the images into Photoshop and combine them there, then export them back to Lightroom as a .tiff file and do some simple edits.

Oct 14-23 (15 of 17).JPGOct 14-23 (12 of 17).JPGOct 14-23 (10 of 17).JPGOct 14-23 (9 of 17).JPGOct 07-23 (2 of 2).JPGOct 07-23 (1 of 1)-4.JPG

Lovely set of ‘shrooms Bill :)

Lovely set bill, #4 for me as well though like them all.

Is that with the Olympus 60 mm macro or the newer 90mm?

Some nice mushrooms there Bill, I have never seen any like that around where I live, plenty of bigger ones, mostly damaged.

Pete

Super set of shrooms, I like them all but particularly 4 + 5. I also really like the hairy leaves on the stem in the first image.

Lovely set of ‘shrooms Bill :)
Thanks Dave

Some lovely macro shots Bill. Your chosen one is great, but #4 is my favourite.
It was a close runner-up Paul! :D

Those are some 'magic' mushrooms you've shot there.
Not sure why people kept asking if that was what I was looking for??!?

Lovely set bill, #4 for me as well though like them all.

Is that with the Olympus 60 mm macro or the newer 90mm?
It's my trusty 60 Keith. Never fails and weather sealed.

Some nice mushrooms there Bill, I have never seen any like that around where I live, plenty of bigger ones, mostly damaged.

Pete
Most of these are tiny, smaller then my pinkie finger.

Great shots Bill. I'm another one who loves this time of year for fungi shots
Love my fungus shots! :cool:

They are fascinating things, great shots.
Thanks Alan.

Super set of shrooms, I like them all but particularly 4 + 5. I also really like the hairy leaves on the stem in the first image.
Thanks Nicky.

A great set of shots. I can't even begin to choose. Love them.
High praise Helen! Thank you.

Great shrooms images, love the first two.
Thanks Dave.

Reactions: nog
#42 Forgotten

I didn't know what I'd try to capture for this theme, I started out just looking for things that were left behind on the street but didn't get anything that really "spoke" to me. Then I looked up...
I realized that non of the people walking around ever looked up and thought that I'd capture the forgotten skyline and architectural details of the city.

I've shot this building many times before. Architecturally it's not pretty, but taken in the right light, at any angle, it makes for interesting shapes.

Oct 21-23 (5 of 28).JPG

This is one small section of the Shangri-la Hotel:

Oct 21-23 (6 of 28).JPG

I like the shape of this building as I look up at it
Oct 21-23 (9 of 28).JPG

This one, much like the first building isn't really pretty but the front entrance in interesting
Oct 21-23 (11 of 28).JPG

I liked the repeating pattern in colour on this building. When I looked closer it's a repeating pattern of crosses. I think that there was a church on the building site originally and the church is not part of the new building
Oct 21-23 (19 of 28).JPG

Nice set of pix there Bill :)

Back