Dead charger, help needed.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Rolleiflex SLX and the charger has died has anyone got any recommendations for somewhere that can fix it?

The usual photographic places can’t help.

Any ideas?

There seems to be some on ebay from Canada but they aren't cheap.

I'm assuming it's a battery pack charger. I'd think some electronics repair place would be a better bet. I'd try FFordes first in case they have a working one.

What sort of cells are in the battery pack? It's highly possible the battery cells themselves are dead and that's why the charger won't charge them.

I think this is a niche of a niche repair.

I have a Rolleiflex SLX and the charger has died has anyone got any recommendations for somewhere that can fix it?

The usual photographic places can’t help.

Any ideas?
Maybe a hifi/tv repair type place?

Well if you can't get another charger and I assume one problem is the type of connector to the batteries as any charger would do i.e. mains to what ever the dc voltage is. If it was me, and the batteries are ok, would cut the connector off the charger and connect the wires to another battery charger making sure the positive and neg wires are correct.

... i.e. mains to what ever the dc voltage is...
In addition to the voltage and type (DC or AC) look for the power/current too, in the label you will see it as Ampere "A", mili-ampere "mA" and/or in Watt "W", e.g.: DC 12v 1A 70w. Be careful with that, because if you buy one with the same output voltage but the power is not the same or higher then the batteries will not get charged and most probably the power supply will over heat and break.
So, to make it clear: the output voltage "V" must be exactly the same than in the original charger, and the power "A, mA or W" must be the same or higher, never lower.

Thanks

it’s definitely the charger and I’ve tried a couple of local tv repair places but with no success.

I’ll check out the Rollei site and see if they can help.

It might be worth trying to find out how "dead" it is before spending £50 or whatever for someone to tell you it's beyond repair. If you have a mate with a multi-meter you could at least determine if there is any voltage at the battery contacts. Also check the batteries and it might be possible to lash something up to charge the batteries from a third party charger just to see if they are still good. I would offer to help if I lived closer.

Assuming the batteries are still good and it's the battery pack charger that's failed it might be simplest to bypass all the electronics inside the charger by bringing wires out from the battery contacts and then just connecting that to an external power-brick charger.

Or, again if the batteries are good, get someone with a 3d printer ( _cough_ @dmb ;-) ) to print up a charger body :) - sounds like it could be a bit of a side-line...

It's deffo not the batteries, the charger used to work and then just stopped. Theres an internal fuse which has been changed, just in case, and its still not working. I will dig out the charger and take some photos just to see if theres any info on it that people think is useful.

I have already checked out recellyourbattery and will be using their services once ive got the charger sorted.

Back