Beginner Dealing with the rain/keeping gear dry

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello again. Thanks to the forum for all the help I've received so far.

I'm curious how you all deal with rain if your gear is not weather-proof? I know I could always get a proper rain cover, although I'll likely just fashion a plastic bag to suit, but how concerned do I need to be about stuff getting wet? After a couple of 'incidents' with the wife's phone and other tech getting water damage I'm maybe more conscious about this than is necessary for the camera, but I simply don't know how susceptible to the elements a DSLR is.

I'm only looking for some first hand experience really as to how you deal with the elements. Keeping it dry completely would of course be the best thing, but if that isn't practical, presumably if it does get damp just wipe it off before putting it back in the bag, and then when you get home make sure it is completely dry?

Thanks in advance.

I shot photos at an event last year, Canon 600D, Tamron lens, neither of them weather sealed. There was light rain - I just kept the camera down when I wasn't using it, protected by my arm and hand, and then after taking a few shots just shook it, and put it down again.

I had no issues.

However, persistent drizzle is a very different beast and I would never have done that in drizzle or heavy rain.

There are specially designed and cheap rain covers (Optech make one) or you could just use a plastic bag and some rubber bands ... a bit of light drizzle generally won't cause issues :)

With light rain I will often just put my hat over the camera. Op-tech rain sleeves are cheap enough to be regarded as one use disposable. I try to make them last, and so far I lose them before I wear them out. I buy enough to keep one in each of my most used gear bags. When wind is not a problem I like to use an umbrella. It's a bit tricky using a camera that needs two hands and carrying an umbrella with the stick clamped in your oxter, so I have a brolly which has a tripod screw in the bottom. That lets me bolt the camera upside down to the brolly stick, or if I've remembered to take a long accessory mounting plate with me, the right way round.

Buy a half decent rain cover. My 1DX is probably as weather sealed as you can get but i still use a rain cover. I just don't get the "it'll be alright its weather sealed" idea. Why take a chance for the sake of a few quid.

In light drizzle, I'm happy to use my Fuji X-T1 and 18-135. In heavier rain, I'll either be in the café or using a Nikon 1AW.

Hotel shower cap - free, waterproof, elasticated, good for drizzle.

With my 70-300 zoom in consistent rain I use an Op-tech sleeve, or if light rain keep it zipped up under my jacket, just bringing it out to shoot. When using a standard or wide angle zoom with a short lens hood in light rain I keep it under my jacket until ready to shoot, or shoot from under a brolly that lives in the side of my back pack. Then if it's windy I swear. The 70-300 has a long hood that keeps rain drops off the front of the lens, short hoods don't. I carry a soft chamois leather for wiping over wet camera kit, it's very absorbent, dusters just spread the wet and paper towels shred leaving a mess. If walking any distance in heavy rain I pull the AW cover over my bag.

When using my 70-200 for football in rain I tend to drape a tea towel over it. It probably not the best way but it is cheap and easy. If it is lashing it down though I go in the stand.
I only do non league as an amateur so try not to get myself soaked never mind my gear.

Back