Debbie Purdy

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
"Right-to-die campaigner Debbie Purdy, who won a landmark ruling to clarify the law on assisted suicide, has died.
The 51-year-old from Bradford had lived with primary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) for almost 20 years."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-25741005

This is something that's close to me as I suffer from the same condition as Debbie. After many years of thinking about this, I still don't know how to feel about it.

I do however, feel that people in certain circumstances should be allowed to end their lives with dignity but, for obvious reasons, firm legislation would need to be put in place.

I agree with you Marc, I also think that people in particular circumstances should be allowed to end their lives when they chose, with some dignity, though I would hate to be the one having to pen the legislation that covers such eventualities. Whether in such circumstances I would personally choose such a right, I honestly cannot say, but I firmly believe the choice should be there, within a criteria that protect the more vulnerable from 'persuasion' of any sort.

RIP Debbie Purdy

RIP Debbie Purdy

I'm not sure where I stand on the right to die debate either. I am sure that a situation that makes people choose to head to a Swiss industrial estate isn't the answer though

Last edited:
RIP Debbie Purdy.

I stand firmly on the side of being allowed to chose to end my life in certain circumstances.
I personally would hate to carry on my life if I was totally incapacitated due to accident or illness and could not
communicate my wishes to others, I do not want to carry on in a vegatative state.

But I do also believe that it is a decision I should be able to make legal now, so my next of kin know my wishes
and there is no confusion, think it's referred to as a living will

Having seen both Mum and Dad suffering a drawn out passing, I'm fully in favour of the right to die with some dignity, which both were denied. I also fully agree that there need to be serious safeguards in place to stop the potential for abuse.

No pain now, Mrs Purdy.

If you let an animal suffer you can be prosecuted but it's fine to let a family member suffer pain and have no quality of life. Makes no sense at all to me. Assisted death should be a human right. You should be able to write it into a will of some kind or carry a card with a list of when the plug should be pulled.

Firstly. Marc I'm truly sorry to hear that you too are suffering from this dreadful illness and send you every best wish for your future health and wellbeing.

Like many on here I'm sure, I've watched a family member lose a battle for life through illness and it's awful. I'm sorry that Debbie Purdy has finally lost her long battle but she has left a legacy upon which others can build towards finally getting full control of our own end of life decisions. One day it will come and spirited, strong and determined campaigners like Debbie making small steps in the right direction all contribute to the greater cause.

RIP Debbie, and thank you.

Firstly. Marc I'm truly sorry to hear that you too are suffering from this dreadful illness and send you every best wish for your future health and wellbeing.

Like many on here I'm sure, I've watched a family member lose a battle for life through illness and it's awful. I'm sorry that Debbie Purdy has finally lost her long battle but she has left a legacy upon which others can build towards finally getting full control of our own end of life decisions. One day it will come and spirited, strong and determined campaigners like Debbie making small steps in the right direction all contribute to the greater cause.

RIP Debbie, and thank you.

Thank you Sara. Although my illness has progressed over the last couple of years, I'm nowhere near Debbies level of suffering and, with any luck, I may never be so I'm upbeat more often than I'm down.

I'm actually very lucky in that I've not yet had to see a family member go through this level of suffering but, with my parents both turning 80 next year and my in-laws being both in their late 70s, I fear it may happen at some point.

Awkward.

I've a couple of relatives that this relates to. One older and one young.

I didn't really want to comment in the thread for fear that some of the words (medical conditions) would crop up in Google searches so I PM'd you.

Last edited:
We don't let our animals suffer, so why should we let our relatives go through often un imaginable pain and suffering.

For me there is nothing wrong with assisted end of life desisions as long as they are made for the right reasons.

A living will is a very good idea.

I hope that in the future we do have the choice to end our lives quickly and as painlessly as possible and with our dignity in tact, I have seen family members suffer, as someone else said in a way I would never let my dogs.

I think the really sad thing was that when Debbie chose to end her life the only way she could do it was to starve herself,,,, what an horrible way to die,,,

RIP Debbie Purdy

We don't let our animals suffer, so why should we let our relatives go through often un imaginable pain and suffering.

For me there is nothing wrong with assisted end of life desisions as long as they are made for the right reasons.

A living will is a very good idea.

I think it's because we value human life above everything else, entwined into the medical profession since the 5th century BC with the Hippocratic oath, but then we have the exceptions. The Americans have the death penalty in some states, but some are also heavily anti abortion, as is Ireland. I think it's a difficult decision to make and change.

I hope that in the future we do have the choice to end our lives quickly and as painlessly as possible and with our dignity in tact, I have seen family members suffer, as someone else said in a way I would never let my dogs.

I think the really sad thing was that when Debbie chose to end her life the only way she could do it was to starve herself,,,, what an horrible way to die,,,

RIP Debbie Purdy

It is a horrible way to see someone die as well. It's how Mum eventually went, under medical supervision and the label of the Liverpool Care Pathway. As people have said, treat a pet that way and you'll end up in court but you're not allowed to give a human the same kindness that you can a terminally ill animal.

Marc, as long as you're living and enjoying life rather than simply existing, do so!

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

from the modern version of the Hippocratic oath
http://ethics.ucsd.edu/journal/2006/readings/Hippocratic_Oath_Modern_Version.pdf

There's some explanation for the arguments against here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/euthanasia/against/against_1.shtml

I think there is a need for balance, it's finding the right point of control, so it's not abused.

My mother died of the same illness as Debbie Purdy back in the 80's when I was quite young. I too would support a living will so my loved ones don't have the same experience.

This was a brave brave lady. Religious beliefs aside, which are individual, and should be disregarded when considering legislation on this subject. I cannot see the problem with a person of sound mind and good character choosing to end their life of their own free will, whether ill or not. If a request, legally documented by a notary, is received from an individual and their wish is to die, then nobody, absolutely nobody, has the right to deny them that, by any means, assisted or otherwise. Finding someone to assist is best left to the individual and of course, must be legally documented. If they are requesting that the state assist them, that is a different matter and a point for discussion in parliament.

When an individual is unable to make the choice themselves as is often the case, then a judgement should be made as to the suitability of the holder of power of attorney to make the decision on their behalf, under scrutiny of a court. I see no difference at all between this and a DNR order.

This is an absolute no brainer in a secular country and it is a travesty that there is no legislation in place to effect it.

I don't want to start an argument, those are just my views, having been personally affected by these issues.

Back