Decent Photo Printer

Edit My Images
No
Thanks in advance for your help!

Reguirements:
At least prints to A4
Budget 130-140 pounds
Mainly print in colour.

I shoot with a 400D if that is any relevance.

Any good printer that you have or know is good?

Ps I will need good quality papers too so know any good sites?

Thank again!

Look no further than the canon pixma ip4700 at around £90. It is amazing,

:agree: The Canon IP 45/46/4700 range are very good printers and under your budget. I've been very impressed with mine since swopping from my Epson printer. (y)

Just ordered a Pixma ip 4600 for £70 delivered, from Amazon
Tried the 4500 this Christmas at the parent's in law, loved it and thought I get me one.

You can have a 3rd party 5-pack of ink (including the chip) for £7.99 delivered so should not cost too much to run either.

Don't choose 3rd party ink, get official canon ink

:plus1:

Buying from 7dayshop reduces the costs a fair bit and avoids the frustrations (and possible expenses...) that 3rd part inks cause. They're still not cheap but photography as a hobby isn't!

Thanks for the recommendations I will take a look at those.

From what I am reading although CIS are hassle free so to speak the quality is less and damages the print heads. Right?

A printer would do a 6x8 for me for about 80p, don't think that can be beaten by printing at home on a small scale. Or can it?

basically don't make it about cost. Printing at home is more expensive than say photobox online, but you'll find it more convenient and the quality is vastly better with the Ip4700.

I would have if I could warrant paying £60 (for all 5 inks) every time I needed to replace them, especially when I have read in reviews that you can barely get 30 pages with full coverage out of them ...

They saw you coming if you paid £60 for a set of 5 inks.

£45 from Premier Ink & Photographic - and thats not even the cheapest place, you can probably save another fiver from 7dayshop

Just had a look at that printer everyone is recommending and I like it!

I would have if I could warrant paying £60
I've no idea what the going rate is for inks with that printer, but 3rd party inks have almost zero quality control, and many tend to fade very quickly after printing, relative to official inks. Also, the colours can change from cartridge to cartridge (which means whenever you put in a fresh cartridge, the next few prints could be very inconsistent).

I have several dye-subs that I use for photos, but I have a couple of inkjets that I use for design proofs for clients. Both are epson, one uses the cheap generic brand inks for stuff that isn't important, test prints for my own benefit, pages from websites, etc (about 6-8 quid for the set of 4 on eBay), and the other only uses the official Epson inks (£30-40 for a set of 4) to help with colour accuracy and consistency.

The other problem with using cheap cartridges is that once you use them, you can never really go back. There's always going to be residue there from the cheaper cartridges compromising your prints (that's why I have 2 ink jets).

Just took possession of an ip4700 and first impressions are excellent. It is quick, quiet and the prints are fantastic. I couldn't be more chuffed! However, just a point to note, which is seriously frustrating, printers these days don't come with the required USB cable, which has to be bought seperately. Don't be like me and forget to buy one.

Hi,

I have buying the IP4700 on my shopping list, what is this printer like for B&W prints? Any colour casts at all? I would assume that this printer's driver gives you some some of colour management control as well?

Mike.

Love my old IP4300 printer.
Frugal on the ink usage.
And if you use Ilford paper you can download printer specific profiles for the different types of paper.

Haven't tried B&W yet as I have only had the printer for two days. However, my first impressions are that the printer is so good that to make full use of it's potential I am going to have to calibrate my monitor properly. I haven't played around with the drivers / settings yet but even so, as you can probably tell, I am seriously pleased with the results so far. When you consider the price this printer can be picked up for, it is a bargain.

Back