Decisions that involve the D750, D850 and DJI Mavic

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m in a right pickle and I don’t know what to do

I’ve got the Nikon D750 which I still to this day think has been the best body on the market until the D850 came out

I really think apart from the weight the D850 is perfect has everything the D750 has and more

So do I sell the D750 and get what I’d say is the best camera on the market or keep the D750 and get a DJI Mavic

The wife has said do what I want but she’d prefer it wasn’t a drone in case I crash it or it flys away which I believe is more likely than me breaking the D850 but then I think the D850 is a hell of a lot of money

That’s a nice decision to have! Personally I’d probably keep the D750 and get a drone as they add a different perspective to both photography and video and I think they’re pretty cool.

Though it all depends on what you do and if you need anything more than the D750 offers. The D850 is a big heavy thing, you’re right!

Think the DJI drones are pretty good at staying in control from what I have seen.

It is but it’s hurting my head

I kind of get the feeling I’d use the drone for a week and not be that impressed with the images as if always be thinking if only the d750 was up there I’d fully trust the image quality

Yeah but there is still reports of them .... doing one [emoji52]

but it’s hurting my head
There's always a risk with a drone that you might indeed hurt your head - or a loved one's head, or a stranger's. Another aspect is that do we really want more and more of the nasty buzzing things filling the air wherever we go. I don't. As a toy for the masses they are intrusively anti-social. Harrumph!

Just watch other peoples drone videos that they spent a fortune on and get the d850.

Anyway like all RC type gear they don't last long and are expensive to repair

Seriously considered a drone. Trouble is for me it’d be like the Christmas Day camcorder..

New legislation coming in too.

I’m in a right pickle and I don’t know what to do

I’ve got the Nikon D750 which I still to this day think has been the best body on the market until the D850 came out

I really think apart from the weight the D850 is perfect has everything the D750 has and more

So do I sell the D750 and get what I’d say is the best camera on the market or keep the D750 and get a DJI Mavic

The wife has said do what I want but she’d prefer it wasn’t a drone in case I crash it or it flys away which I believe is more likely than me breaking the D850 but then I think the D850 is a hell of a lot of money

I have a D850, great camera in all respects and a noticeable upgrade from my previous D800.....

Having said this my first question to you is why do you want one, is the D750 limiting your photography?, are you missing shots because of it? If no then get the drone

Simon

If money was no object i'd say get a drone as they can produce some interesting new elements, but they are more of a supplement to photography than the main thing. They are better if you are into video.
We have one at work (landscape Gardening) I take the stills shots and a bit of video and we do some shots with the drone but more video flyovers.
I bought a GoPro years ago as it looked great, could take it kayaking etc. but I find i'd rather take my DSLR.

I will get my D850 on Tuesday for my publishing work
and I recommend the D750 to my students. What do
you need from the D850 that the D750 doesn't have?

Do you really NEED the extra performance for the ex-
tra dough?

New legislation coming in too.
From what I read, the new legislation in term of restricting usage is mostly formalising the existing “drone code”. The slight unknown is the “licence” and what you will have to do to get licensed - if it’s like the commercial licence it will be quite draconian, if it’s more a written test it might be good in being easyish to pass but “not worth the effort” for some casual users and make the use more controlled.

Last edited:
The only real performance gains the 850 seams to have over the D750 are more pixels and the ability to shoot 4K video. In reality unless you want to shoot 4K video or print larger than than A3 you are not going to notice any difference in your photos.

If you buy a drone the images you produce will look vastly different and you will have a completely new view of the world. I don't think changes in legislation will have any significant impact on your drone usage.

I do believe that this legislation won’t have a great deal of impact. To be honest, if you have a decent (expensive) drone you will be sensible with it and how you fly it. The idiots who are causing the problems currently, won’t bother with legislation and will continue to fly like idiots. It’s just a money making scheme for the government (again)

How about forget the drone and the D850 and have a look at the wonderful world of glass instead?

Thanks for all the comments

I think firstly its eating away at me since getting the D750 instead of the D810 first time round although the D750 was a more complete package but now the D810 does it all I currently use the D500 for wildlife so maybe I can go down to one body but that for another day :|

I love the thought of having all that extra detail and being able to crop more freely, I think I'm sold on the D850 as it does everything ill ever need an more and also the wife's words tonight "I wish you'd order that bl00dy camera"

So I never thought id do it but the D750 will be up for sale very soon

and as for glass I already have everything I need, Nikon 16-35 f4, Nikon 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRii and the almighty Nikon 300 2.8 VRii the only thing I may consider one day would be the 14-24 2.8

Thanks again guys got a couple of busy weeks with the lead up to Christmas and a friends wedding but ill hopefully be back out in the new year....

p.s. I really should post more of my work on here

“I think I'm sold on the D850 as it does everything ill ever need and more”
Same said about just about every new camera that was ever introduced to the market.

Back