Declaring copyright

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I have a blog with my favourite images on, plus some stories and other bits, but I don't specifically declare my copyright anywhere - do you?

According to gov.uk, any work created by a person is protected by copyright, whether that person declares or displays it, or not, so I've never bothered. I'm slowly building up to offering a few prints for sale and wondered what people think?

Ryan

Ahh right, I get ya now. (y) I thought you meant every image. (although I guess anyone clicking/looking at images may not see that?)
They may choose not to see it but the copyright is there, clearly stating "All rights reserved". :)

They may choose not to see it but the copyright is there, clearly stating "All rights reserved". :)

But you don't actually need a statement anyway, do you?

Edit. Neil beat me to it. :LOL:

Stated copyright gives less excuse or justification for misuse.
Whilst it is true that you can't stop someone using your image, copyright may discourage some and can give additional force to action against those who do.

Whilst it is true that you can't stop someone using your image, copyright may discourage some and can give additional force to action against those who do.
Not really. I've had people take proofs with massive "no unauthorised use" watermarks.

Companies like Facebook for example don't care if you have any copyright markings on photos if you tell them you're the IP owner of an image used without your permission they'll issue a takedown pretty quickly.

Not really. I've had people take proofs with massive "no unauthorised use" watermarks.

Like I said, you can't stop someone but it does give additional clout to legal or other action if that is the way you wish to proceed ... personally I wouldn't use Facebook for any of my photos (or anything else!).

I think I'll start including a disclaimer at key points on the blog maybe, the main page and the gallery pages for example. I think most people are well aware that they can't just take images, but as people have said, if they want to take them, having a copyright notice somewhere isn't really going to stop them I suppose

I think I'll start including a disclaimer at key points on the blog maybe, the main page and the gallery pages for example. I think most people are well aware that they can't just take images, but as people have said, if they want to take them, having a copyright notice somewhere isn't really going to stop them I suppose
It is a very good idea, some people just assume that they can take and use any image on the Internet, a 'disclaimer' can help prevent that ... those that ignore it have no excuse.

I agree it may discourage some but legally, I don't think it will make any difference.

I agree it may discourage some but legally, I don't think it will make any difference.
It adds evidence therefore can make a difference. :)

We've not really gone out of our way to 'claim' copyright except where there are options offering alternative usage rights.
The OP says most people know not to take images. That may be true but I know of 2 big offenders back in the day, running wallpaper download sites with thousands of downloads a day were 13-year-olds with no idea they were doing anything wrong. I think that element still exits today.

What difference?
Evidence makes a difference, sorry I don't have the will to explain further ... it's up to each one to decide, copyright your images or don't, your choice, simple. :)

Hi,

I have a blog with my favourite images on, plus some stories and other bits, but I don't specifically declare my copyright anywhere - do you?

According to gov.uk, any work created by a person is protected by copyright, whether that person declares or displays it, or not, so I've never bothered. I'm slowly building up to offering a few prints for sale and wondered what people think?

Ryan

Actually, you should if you want to. Not really a case of you must, but more a matter of you don't have to, but it helps.

While it is true that once you create a work of art, be it a doddle on a napkin in a restaurant to a very large painting done in your studio, you are automatically granted the rights to copyright anyway. Putting the copyright symbol © and your name on the photo may not make any different because it's already protected.

Putting your name on your photos, or declare the copyright somehow, such as just putting © ElementalPhotoBlog on your photos or on your blog, would be like adverting to anyone, that it is yours. It won't stop someone copying your works and sell them off, but it could be a little extra ammo for your lawyer when you sue the other person.

It's kind of like a warning to others: "You know it is mine because you saw my name on it! Copy it and I sue you for all the pennies you have!

Back