Deep fryers

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
I know there are plenty of good (or at least keen!) cooks here - wondering what they use when deep frying. We would rarely use it so one of the ones that uses very little oil would be ideal. Read some slightly worrying reviews of the De Longhi roto fryers, it seems that the lid opens rather swiftly and sometimes flies off... Can't for the life of me remember any other brands that have advertised them.

get a Tefal Actifry you will never look back they are brill...

Oh yeah until you have flames coming from the rear end by the fan.

Air fryer is the way to go.

But I do miss some things that need to be dripping in fat (not the Mrs)

A friend of mine has one of those "use a teaspoon of oil" fryers and says it's brilliant - and the chips he cooked me in it were very nice.
We've got a little cheap one from Argos which does the job. We had a bigger posher one but the minimum amount of oil it needed was something like 2 litres - which considering you should re-use it too many times makes it quite expensive to use. Our new one uses minimum 0.5l, which suits us better although it normally involves cooking things in small batches even for 2/3 of us.

Most chip shops do it this way too, I thought you were a real northerner Joe ;)

a deep fried battered sausage I can take - whilst its just wrong in every way I will eat it and enjoy But for general sausages - surely nobody deep fries them at home?

I think mrgrubby was referring to the Tefal Actifry, which isn't actually deep fat frying (y)

Thanks for the suggestions and especially the reminder of the actifry! After some research on them, I've decided that the things are too bulky (small kitchen) and take too long to cook up a batch of chips (decent chippy would be a quicker trip!) so will stick to the current system of either wedges or chippy chips. Most frying duties are handled by George Foreman - well, grilling duties! - so it would be almost only chips in the fryer and the £160 for an actifry (would get the family version for the auto-stop feature and bigger batch possibility!) will pay for a lot of portions of chippy chips (and fuel to collect).

Sausages here get browned in a dry frying pan then baked in the oven. When I lived in a shared house, we did all the fry ups in a deep fryer, bangers, chips, bacon and even fried eggs (although I didn't eat eggs and still don't)! Helps explain my shape to some extent, although that's changed a bit in recent months.

FTR, the wedges we do are done in the oven - the spuds are wedged into 1/8ths then tossed in about a tablespoon of oil with paprika, salt, pepper, a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a little tzatziki mix (mainly garlic powder). To do the tossing, we put the mix in a big freezer bag and mix it well before lobbing the wedges in and tossing them until well coated. Pre-heated oven for 25-30 minutes and Robert's your parent's sibling!

we have a standard fryer that gets used at most twice a month and purely for home cooked chips.

It cost us £30 and is pretty small. I love homemade chips

Actifry chips from bag to plate in 30 mins, no fuss, little cleaning required.

I throw in salt, pepper, paprika, and Nando chip sprinkle.

just watched a video on that actifry thing - sounds annoyingly loud - whats that all about?

Lots of bad reviews of the actifry from long term owners, ranging from a shocking number of units catching fire to them just breaking in odd places for no apparent reason. The idea is sound but the build quality seems to be very poor, at a £150 plus that's a lot of wasted cash given that Tefal don't seem to be willing to address the problems.

Back