Deer photography at Ashton Court, Bristol?

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
No
I'm not familiar with Ashton Court in Bristol, but there's supposed to be a decent deer population.

Does anyone know what the access to watch the deer is like, and how close you can get?

I've tried google but the Ashton Court website doesn't appear to be working! Thanks in advance

I'm interested in this too
I've been looking for a good place to photograph deer :)

I've seen them when walking down from the car park at the Balloon Fiesta, don't know about general access other times of the year.

Never shot them but have seen them fairly close to the fence, I'd guess about 100mm lens range, and also further back, 300 to 500mm lens approx. They're in quite a large fenced off area which is a mixture of rough grassland and woodland.

They seem quite accustomed to people.

Sorry, can't help further.

GC

If true to form they are very easy to photograph.
The road leading from the Cumberland Basin, past the Uni/College buildings take you to the Ashton Court car park and there are more often than not deer to the field on the right of that road to the car park.
They can be photographed with anything from a 70-200 to a 600 depending on what you want to get ... these were with a 300 f4 on my Nikon V1.

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

The road leading from the Cumberland Basin, past the Uni/College buildings take you to the Ashton Court car park and there are more often than not deer to the field on the right of that road to the car park.
They can be photographed with anything from a 70-200 to a 600 depending on what you want to get ... these were with a 300 f4 on my Nikon V1.

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

I went to Ashton Park School, you used to be able to drive right through the park, but it was abused by commuters. I think the entrance from Long Ashton is the best entrance for the deer park. Plenty of parking that end as well unless it has changed in the last 2 years.

I went to school there 40 years ago not two years but I still visit when in Bristol.

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

Red Deer
by Roger, on Flickr

Great photos! Thanks for all the info. That map is useful. I would probably come up early from Devon

Gramps map up above is spot on. I've thought of it myself for sunrise but I'm not sure the car park is open very early in the mornings......

Google is working :)

Parking
There are three car parks in Ashton Court. The car parks open at 8am.

Parking costs £1.20 per vehicle per day. You can use your parking ticket in any of the Ashton Court car parks for that day. You can also return during the same day without paying again.

There is no parking charge for Blue Badge holders, motorcycles and scooters.

Open every day including Christmas.

When charges apply:
  • Church Lodge car park (Dovecote): from 10am
  • Mansion House car park: from 9am
  • Clifton Lodge car park (Golf): from 6am
Charges apply until the estate closes. Closing times vary throughout the year.

Gramps map up above is spot on. I've thought of it myself for sunrise but I'm not sure the car park is open very early in the mornings......

Google is working :)

Parking
There are three car parks in Ashton Court. The car parks open at 8am.

The road leading to Ashton Court (Kennel Lodge Road) doesn't currently have restrictions at the top end and so parking there for sunrise would probably be easy.
I've also often parked at the begining of the road actually leading to the car park in Ashton Court, right next to the deer field fence ... again no restrictions.

My daughter bought a house in Bristol earlier this year so methinks I shall be staying with her and checking this place out.

Has the rutting season ended now this year?

There are 2 deer parks in Ashton Court.

The red deer are usually in a high fenced enclousure next to the car park at the Bower Ashton entrance (follow the UWE signs, go past into the park)
The fallow deer - follow the road from the same car park, past the house, keep going until you get to the high fence enclosure. About 10 min walk maybe..

You are advised by all deer park places (not just Ashton) not to enter deer parks in rutting season.
The male deer are aggressive, worn out and confused by exhaustion from constantly herding their females and defending against other males.
Such circumstances equals an accident waiting to happen to you.

You probably would not need to go in anyway as you can walk around the outside of the deer parks.
Take a long lens.
If the deer are too far off, go to the cafe and come back in half an hour, they will have moved, and you will not have been tramped or gored.

You are advised by all deer park places (not just Ashton) not to enter deer parks in rutting season.
The male deer are aggressive, worn out and confused by exhaustion from constantly herding their females and defending against other males.
Such circumstances equals an accident waiting to happen to you.

You probably would not need to go in anyway as you can walk around the outside of the deer parks.
Take a long lens.
If the deer are too far off, go to the cafe and come back in half an hour, they will have moved, and you will not have been tramped or gored.

The deer are not free-roaming at Ashton Court, they are contained withing their own large areas by means of metal fencing.
It would probably break the byelaws to attempt to enter.

There are 2 deer parks in Ashton Court.

The red deer are usually in a high fenced enclousure next to the car park at the Bower Ashton entrance (follow the UWE signs, go past into the park)
The fallow deer - follow the road from the same car park, past the house, keep going until you get to the high fence enclosure. About 10 min walk maybe..

Thanks, that's clarified some confusion!

If I'm thinking correctly, the fallow dear are just off to the left from the map posted earlier?

GC

The deer are not free-roaming at Ashton Court, they are contained withing their own large areas by means of metal fencing.

.... Personally I am not the sort of species chasing paparazzi photographer who would trespass.

I assume that the fencing mentioned as "high" earlier would not compromise photos taken with a 500mm lens size front end?

Yes, its correct both lots are in their own fenced enclosures. In non rutting season you can definitely walk through the red deer enclosure, but the deer are different then, less hormones, peaceful. I would still keep well clear of any with fawns though in the spring. I would also not take dogs in to the enclosure.

Last year I saw some idiot had allowed their smallish dog to get into the fallow deer enclosure and it was chasing these smaller deer all over the place, to the upset of onlookers. Things were lucky on 2 counts, the dog got tired before it brought down a deer and the keepers were not there, so the dog was not shot, which they would have been legally entitled to do, despite the fact it was the owner at fault and not the poor dog.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's clarified some confusion!

If I'm thinking correctly, the fallow dear are just off to the left from the map posted earlier?

GC

I have found a better map
http://traildata.co.uk/media/pdf/Ashton_Court_map_Paligap.pdf

RED DEER LOCATION
To the right on the map is marked 'Ashton Court Mansion and Visitor Centre'
just to the right of that is 'main car park'
the little blue stream marked in the big green area to the right again is actually in the red deer enclosure.
The red deer enclosure is many acres in size and of undulating terrain. If you cant see the deer come back later, they move around a lot. Or you canr walk up the hill and through the wood to get to the higher section of the enclosure fence. Often though they can be right up against the fence next to the car park - its just luck.

FALLOW DEER LOCATION
To the right on the map is marked 'Ashton Court Mansion and Visitor Centre'
Follow the bigger road from the 'main car park' to the left on the map, it skirts slightly up above and around the house and then drops back down slightly towards the house gardens.
When you are stood on the road, it will fork - take the right fork with open space on your left and trees on your right (Ashton Court plantation area on map)
The road will after a short distance fork again.
The area between the forks (of the new fork) is the Fallow deer enclosure.

When at the fallow deer area be aware of cyclist hammering down the road at stupid speeds, many have no sense of it being a park (I am not anti cyclists, just anti stupid cyclists)

If you get lost, look for a dog walker, they will usually be the most regular attenders in the park and will know it the best.

Last edited:
.... Personally I am not the sort of species chasing paparazzi photographer who would trespass.

I assume that the fencing mentioned as "high" earlier would not compromise photos taken with a 500mm lens size front end?

No you will be fine. :)
In non rutting season you can definitely walk through the red deer enclosure, but the deer are different then, less hormones, peaceful.

Personally I have never seen the red deer enclosure open at any time of the year but I'm not there every day.

Personally I have never seen the red deer enclosure open at any time of the year but I'm not there every day.

They may have changed it since I went in . I went in by accident around 4 or 5 years ago, they have kissing gate type things in some parts of the metal fence. I was up at the top of the park and saw a footpath leading through one of these gates and not realising it was the deer enclosure went in (it was used a lot, human trampled path, no entry restrictions at the time of year I was there). I was about half way down to the bottom of the park before I realised I was in a field with no barriers between deer and myself. I have never seen the Fallow area open. I have not bothered to go into the deer park since as you can so often see them from the car park area.

National Trust Dyrham Park near Bath used to let you wander in with the deer at appropriate times of the year. This page implies you can still get relatively close.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dyrham-park/features/autumn-at-dyrham-park

Whitclife Deer Park, near Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire
There is also a deer park near Berkeley which has a public footpath through it which you have to keep to (no wandering about).
They put up advisory signs at dangerous times of the year, suggesting great caution or an alternative route.

walking route
www.walkscene.co.uk/description_11/berkeley_stone_ham
map and photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10163027@N05/sets/72157650015006532/

Deer fencing in general tends to be around 7 feet high, since anything lower they can jump over. The fencing is not about trespass, its about stopping the deer from wandering off, also to help stop dogs from chasing them. Its the same intent as fencing in cows or sheep, just a lot higher. At night I suspect its to protect to some degree from poachers.

You may come across the occasional loose deer in that area of Bristol (countryside, Leigh woods etc) as the wild deer population in Somerset and Gloucestershire is increasing. You never saw any when I was a kid, now you can often see them in the fields from the motorway or roads. They usually seem to be in groups of 1 to 4.

The fence is I think mostly made from metal bands 12 inches or so apart, so plenty of room for pushing a lens through and waving it about :)
I would also take something wider, a zoom if you have one suitable, as if they are very near the fence you could literally only be a foot away from the deer.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Its also worth photographing the deer at other times of the year. The Fallows are very beautiful, especially the fawns in Spring as they have pretty coat patterns.

Deer fencing in general tends to be around 7 feet high, since anything lower they can jump over. The fencing is not about trespass, its about stopping the deer from wandering off, also to help stop dogs from chasing them. Its the same intent as fencing in cows or sheep, just a lot higher. At night I suspect its to protect to some degree from poachers.

The fence is I think mostly made from metal bands 12 inches or so apart, so plenty of room for pushing a lens through and waving it about :)
I would also take something wider, a zoom if you have one suitable, as if they are very near the fence you could literally only be a foot away from the deer.

Let us know how it goes.

.... That's very helpful information indeed, Jay (my late son was named Jay - Sorry but I can't write the name without thinking of him). Anyway, as my daughter Sky now has a house in Bristol where I can stay overnight I shall doubtless also be able to visit the park for Fallows in Spring as well.

I would take my Canon 500mm F/4L II with both 1.4x and 2x Extenders + 1DX-2 and also my very new EOS R with RF 24-105mm F/4L IS which sounds as if it will be absolutely ideal and adds towards justifying my purchase! (It replaces an EF 24-70mm F/4L IS).

.... That's very helpful information indeed, Jay (my late son was named Jay - Sorry but I can't write the name without thinking of him). Anyway, as my daughter Sky now has a house in Bristol where I can stay overnight I shall doubtless also be able to visit the park for Fallows in Spring as well.

I would take my Canon 500mm F/4L II with both 1.4x and 2x Extenders + 1DX-2 and also my very new EOS R with RF 24-105mm F/4L IS which sounds as if it will be absolutely ideal and adds towards justifying my purchase! (It replaces an EF 24-70mm F/4L IS).

Sorry you lost your child, must be beyond awful. Jay is an abreviation for me, not the full name.
Lenses sound good.

If you need any other info on photography in or around Bristol, feel free to PM me. I don't log on all that often, but am happy to help if I can.

For woodlands try this page
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods

Birds at Slimbridge wildfowl trust
Also bird hides at Portishead (free) in the nature reserve near Portbury docks/Portishead and birds out on the mud flats
Wood near Portbury
River Frome walkway (miles)

Lots of very big parks in Bristol with large wild areas - Leigh woods (next to Ashton Court), Blaise Castle park, Snuff Mills, Dower House park - all are free of charge

Sorry you lost your child, must be beyond awful. Jay is an abreviation for me, not the full name.
Lenses sound good.

If you need any other info on photography in or around Bristol, feel free to PM me. I don't log on all that often, but am happy to help if I can.

For woodlands try this page
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/visiting-woods

Birds at Slimbridge wildfowl trust
Also bird hides at Portishead (free) in the nature reserve near Portbury docks/Portishead and birds out on the mud flats
Wood near Portbury
River Frome walkway (miles)

Lots of very big parks in Bristol with large wild areas - Leigh woods (next to Ashton Court), Blaise Castle park, Snuff Mills, Dower House park - all are free of charge

.... A big thanks, Jay! Am feeling lucky you logged on when you did. My daughter will be interested too because her Bristol based creative business is very wildlife inspired :

https://skysiouki.com

I only photograph wildlife. Have visited Slimbridge a couple of times and learnt to avoid it during school holidays!!

Cheers :)

My daughter will be interested too because her Bristol based creative business is very wildlife inspired :
https://skysiouki.com
I only photograph wildlife. Have visited Slimbridge a couple of times and learnt to avoid it during school holidays!!

Some lovely work on her web site, thanks for the link to it. Yes, Slimbridge at the wrong moment can be a bit of a trial.

If you do wildflowers, in the spring try Minchinhampton common near Stroud (one of several commons up there) as if you catch the right moment, it is full of wild purple orchids. Other wild flowers too and the odd puff ball fungus. The views are also beautiful as you overlook the Stroud Valleys or the Severn Vale depending on which common you are on. If you want to avoid the cows visit between October and the end of March as they bring them in for the winter. The orchids are out in flower before the cows are let on to the common.

There is also a common (with golf course) up above Dursley.

There are also woods between North Nibley and Wotton-under-Edge (follow the Cotswold way) and the grounds of Woodchester Mansion used to be free to access as well (not been in a while),
http://www.woodchestermansion.org.uk/HomePage.aspx
The grounds are I think looked after by the National Trust, so may be on their web site for opening times etc.

Some lovely work on her web site, thanks for the link to it. Yes, Slimbridge at the wrong moment can be a bit of a trial.

If you do wildflowers, in the spring try Minchinhampton common near Stroud (one of several commons up there) as if you catch the right moment, it is full of wild purple orchids. Other wild flowers too and the odd puff ball fungus. The views are also beautiful as you overlook the Stroud Valleys or the Severn Vale depending on which common you are on. If you want to avoid the cows visit between October and the end of March as they bring them in for the winter. The orchids are out in flower before the cows are let on to the common.

There is also a common (with golf course) up above Dursley.

There are also woods between North Nibley and Wotton-under-Edge (follow the Cotswold way) and the grounds of Woodchester Mansion used to be free to access as well (not been in a while),
http://www.woodchestermansion.org.uk/HomePage.aspx
The grounds are I think looked after by the National Trust, so may be on their web site for opening times etc.

.... Again some more high quality intel from you, Jay!

I will pass on your compliment to my young daughter Sky. She will be far more interested in where the flowers can be seen than I am and she has only lived in Bristol for 4 years after leaving uni. I would be more interested in photographing the cows as I restrict myself to wildlife subjects otherwise I would have an even bigger backlog of RAW images to process!

Cheers :)

A special thankyou to @MidnightUK Jay for such high quality intel.

I spent a full day at Ashton Court and half a day at Dyrham Park resulting in over 1,400 shots. I only shoot RAW and am still culling and processing!

To begin with, here is THE MONARCH OF ASHTON COURT - A mature Red Deer with 18 point (tines) antlers. A stag with 16 or more tines is called a monarch, 14 tines is an imperial and 12 tines is a royal.

THE MONARCH OF ASHTON COURT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ Camera info is on my Flickr page.

Last edited:
Beautiful Robin if there is no crop then I adore your framing, fella is tight that works for me but it really emphasises to me how good your framing is. I'm too tired to look for techs mate:p:LOL: Bugger I'd love to know them.:rolleyes:

Buddy ,you.ve read up a bit to know these head terms used by deer stalkers. Precise terms for a very serious need. I wonder sometimes if an animal like your above stag would exist without man. Deer have had no natural predators for so long, here . Deer stalkers cultivate and massage a population, but we, mankind are not nature !! . I adore our various species Robin I love roe 'cause they aren't behind fences oft, and I can get at them here. and my local fallow because they spook at a bloody horse and rider ,so are deeply humbling to stalk If ever I think I have learnt something FC wise the fallow teach me I haven't;)

They are still manged. I find it utterly fascinating, Robin mans effect on the heads, and more, of essentially a wild animal

Wonderful aren't they:)

stu

Beautiful Robin if there is no crop then I adore your framing, fella is tight that works for me but it really emphasises to me how good your framing is. I'm too tired to look for techs mate:p:LOL: Bugger I'd love to know them.:rolleyes:

Buddy ,you.ve read up a bit to know these head terms used by deer stalkers. Precise terms for a very serious need. I wonder sometimes if an animal like your above stag would exist without man. Deer have had no natural predators for so long, here . Deer stalkers cultivate and massage a population, but we, mankind are not nature !! . I adore our various species Robin I love roe 'cause they aren't behind fences oft, and I can get at them here. and my local fallow because they spook at a bloody horse and rider ,so are deeply humbling to stalk If ever I think I have learnt something FC wise the fallow teach me I haven't;)

They are still manged. I find it utterly fascinating, Robin mans effect on the heads, and more, of essentially a wild animal

Wonderful aren't they:)

stu

.... Hi Stu,

Thanks. Yes the image is cropped tight intentionally as it has helped give the stag the appearance of being closer than he actually is and it also emphasises his power. I shot this at 1,000mm focal length (not 1m distant!!).

Park bred Deer such as these tend to grow more antler points than those roaming completely wild mainly because of the good nutrition they receive. Yes I like to research and learn about the wildlife subjects I encounter and photograph. Understanding a species behaviour helps anticipate and potentially get better photographs but each individual still behaves differently!

Thanks for the details of this location. I went down there a couple of weeks ago and got some nice pictures. There was an event on so it was crowded. The deer didn't seem to care.

What a fantastic picture! Excellent recording of behaviour but also very funny. Thanks so much for posting that. So well caught.

.... Thank you! I know that some folks can be offended by such images and held back posting but hey, this is the Talk Photography forum and it takes much more to give offence :LOL:

One of my Facebook friends commented with just a lipstick icon and so I replied : "Is That Chanel's Rouge Coco Ultra Hydrating Lip Colour?" which is an actual lipstick by Chanel (and not cheap as chips).

Wildlife behaviour and character is exactly what I primarily seek with my photography. I spent about 7 hours on my tripod in only two spots and observed what was going on and captured whatever I could.

It's not just about being patient as many people say but enjoyable observation and the challenge of capturing it for sharing and enjoyment later.

Wildlife behaviour and character is exactly what I primarily seek with my photography. I spent about 7 hours on my tripod in only two spots and observed what was going on and captured whatever I could.

It's not just about being patient as many people say but enjoyable observation and the challenge of capturing it for sharing and enjoyment later.

I admire your dedication and your results. So glad you posted.

I admire your dedication and your results. So glad you posted.

.... Cheers! I have rather a lot of photos I can post from my day at Ashton Court, so here is another one :

THE DEER AND THE JACKDAW by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I would have loved a much closer shot of just the Deer head with the Jackdaw in finer detail but I'm not complaining! The shot is already enlarged a fair bit and to do so more would blow the image quality apart.

Last edited:
Back