weekly Defiance's 2012 52 (09er) - Week 1: 'The Future' added

Defiance

Green and Hairy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've chosen, with some welcome encouragement from John (Dark Star), to sign up for this years 52 and will be doing the 09er version.

This is my first ever 52 and I'm hoping it will help bring back my mojo and help energise and motivate me (I've not posted a photo for well over a year due to other commitments). More importantly, I'd like it to provide a platform for me to try new things and tackle some of my photography demons and so I'll be trying to mix in as much different and new stuff as I can over the course of the year :)

All comments, critique and criticism is always welcome. I will also try to comment on as many other 52's as I can over the course of the project.

Week 1: The Future (post #4)

Last edited:
Week 1 submission - 'The Future'

This one was a tough theme for the first week. I've taken a very simple interpretation and captured 30 minutes into the future as movement in time.

Equipment used was my Nikon D90, 50mm f/1.8 lens and a tripod only. A 30 minute exposure was used.

I took 2 different shots and I preferred this one for it's capture of movement and the strength of its reflection. The alternative can be found here

Comments, critique and any areas for improvement as always are gratefully received. Thank you for looking :)

2012Week1TheFuture1.jpg

Last edited:
I like your interpretation of Future! The reflection is nice, too. For me personally, I prefer the watch used in your main shot. However, it looks as though it's hovering in mid air, but perhaps this was your intention? That certainly would be very futuristic.

:wave:

Great shot for the first week. Lovely and sharp. I dont mind the "floating" look as it adds to the futuristic theme :)

I like your interpretation of Future! The reflection is nice, too. For me personally, I prefer the watch used in your main shot. However, it looks as though it's hovering in mid air, but perhaps this was your intention? That certainly would be very futuristic.

Thanks Nathalie :) I really umm'd and err'd about which one to post as the other one was the originally planned shot. I liked the stronger reflection and the motion blur on this one more and that swung it for me.

Future, what a challenging theme that was! I like your thinking and your pic works very well. (y)

Thanks Michael :)

Love the blurred hands moving with time.

Thanks Amanda :) the fluorescent hands i think helped made this work well.

:wave:

Great shot for the first week. Lovely and sharp. I dont mind the "floating" look as it adds to the futuristic theme :)

Thanks Miss C :) I wanted the floating look and the futuristic nature of it was kind of an unintended consequence :)

Nice one Rob....that image screws with my brain :) Original take due to the orientation - nice touch.

My only criticism is it seems overall a little too dark on this monitor and I think the reflection suffers a little because of that....but thats the only niggle...all else I like :)

And Kudos for getting in early like Miss Cupcake did :) I'm lagging!

And it is very hard to stop looking at it, my head just can't get round it :)

Edit: I just took a look at your flickr version of the same shot and it appears somewhat sharper to me...and also the contrast is improved...not sure why that should be but in which case my comments about it being too dark can be scrubbed :) Nice one!

wow impressive stuff. I like the way it looks like the watch is floating as said very futuristic . Definitely a better interpretation than me :)

Nice one Rob....that image screws with my brain :) Original take due to the orientation - nice touch.

My only criticism is it seems overall a little too dark on this monitor and I think the reflection suffers a little because of that....but thats the only niggle...all else I like :)

And Kudos for getting in early like Miss Cupcake did :) I'm lagging!

And it is very hard to stop looking at it, my head just can't get round it :)

Edit: I just took a look at your flickr version of the same shot and it appears somewhat sharper to me...and also the contrast is improved...not sure why that should be but in which case my comments about it being too dark can be scrubbed :) Nice one!

Thanks John :) I was a little concerned about it being dark when i processed it - it is certainly a bit harder to view on a gloss monitor in daylight. I did try brightening it but it didn't look as effective and the impact of the reflection was lost of me. Am really pleased it's one you can keep coming back to :) Not sure why it's ended up a touch softer as photobucket is normally a very good host and retains the sharpness. The shot is sharper viewing it on the Mac (where it was processed) than my windows pc's standard dell monitor.

wow impressive stuff. I like the way it looks like the watch is floating as said very futuristic . Definitely a better interpretation than me :)

Thanks Ruth :) I like yours too and you've gone a big step further doing 2 x 52s !

(y) That is really VERY nice.

Initially I preferred the other version on Flickr with the horizontal orientation, but the vertical shot is definitely growing on me for the reasons already said. It really is one of those that you want to keep looking at.

Thanks Sarah :) The vertical shot was the one I shot to submit and I did this one only to see if the watch would look better and it kind of developed on from there and it grew on me too. I was really torn as to which one to post but the alternative was a little too safe for me and as this is a challenge I ended up deciding to submit the slightly riskier and more different approach. Am really pleased it's a shot that has grown on you too :)

Wow - this is a fantastic start to your 52. You've certainly set the bar high. :)

Like John, I keep going back to look at it - it's just so dammed clever! I love the processing - it suits the image and looks futuristic. I can't help wondering if you had looked into The Future and seen the 09er theme for Week 2 (Float)! :thinking: This just gets cleverer and cleverer. :clap:

I prefer this shot to the other one on your flickr - the movement of the hands seems to work better and the orientation is more striking.

Jean

Very clever...I prefer the version you've posted here... I like it. I think the other watch may look a little more futuristic, but I prefer this one. Nice bit of movement in the hands... How much hot pixel removal did you have to do with a 30 minute exposure ??

Great start to the 52 :clap::clap::clap:

I love the way it seems to float and the sweeping second hand gives a great focal point.

As others have said - it plays with your mind.

Well done and I look forward to seeing your future pics.

Wow - this is a fantastic start to your 52. You've certainly set the bar high. :)

Like John, I keep going back to look at it - it's just so dammed clever! I love the processing - it suits the image and looks futuristic. I can't help wondering if you had looked into The Future and seen the 09er theme for Week 2 (Float)! :thinking: This just gets cleverer and cleverer. :clap:

I prefer this shot to the other one on your flickr - the movement of the hands seems to work better and the orientation is more striking.

Jean

Thanks Jean :) I hadn't thought about the seeing into the future aspect...spooky :nuts:

Very clever...I prefer the version you've posted here... I like it. I think the other watch may look a little more futuristic, but I prefer this one. Nice bit of movement in the hands... How much hot pixel removal did you have to do with a 30 minute exposure ??

Thanks John :) I'd have preferred the other watch too but the hands were too small to capture enough of the movement and it lacked the fluorescent details for the reflection compared to the posted watch. Luckily, I didn't get any hot pixels and processing was just a usual sort of quick tweaks - shooting the shot in a pitch black room helped in that respect though.

Great start to the 52 :clap::clap::clap:

I love the way it seems to float and the sweeping second hand gives a great focal point.

As others have said - it plays with your mind.

Well done and I look forward to seeing your future pics.

Thanks Bruja :) I'm amazed (and really pleased) that the shot draws the view back to it and plays with the mind a little :)

Where've you gone :(

Indeed - with a start like that please don't stop now!

Really like your take on "Future" - I do agree it looks a bit dark but that is my only crit. The vertical orientation is actually very clever as it looks like the are hanging in air.

Looks like I need a word with Rob :) Some communication about the future of this thread! I'll float some ideas so that its not all doom and gloom :)

:wave:... where you gone...

Back