Developer Dilemma

Jao

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am a creature of habit, this is simultaneously a strength and a weakness, not quite OCD, but .......:LOL::LOL:

I have for many years only ever developed my monochrome film in ID11, I have used no other developing chemical.

I am restarting home processing again after a bit of a break and was about to order a my tried and trusted chosen brew when the thought crossed my mind that could perhaps try something different.

I am clearly feeling radical, buoyed by the fact that after wearing only white shirts with a suit for work for 25 years, last week I bought a blue one!:LOL:

So my question to the wealth of very experienced people in the F&C community is what are people using as their preferred developer?

I should also say I shoot HP5 exclusively for mono, and as I write this I am thinking, is there a pattern here? Are there other B&W films out there? Oh no that is perhaps for another thread and another question! One thing at a time.:bonk:

Any advice and recommendations will be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Firstly I applaude your brave decision to embrace change, although one thing at a time, as you say, is the safe option. Too much change at one time may cause your head to explode :LOL:

As far as developers go, I use Rodinal (and have done ever since my return to home dev'ing 3 years ago) It's cheap, it lasts for ages and it's reliable

I'd say Caffenol because it's fun, but without knowing what you shoot and how you want it to look it may not suit.

I too am a Rodinal user but I wouldn't think it is too suitable for HP5 unless you like your grain huge. Try Kodak XTOL, which I also like but can only justify using if I am shooting more film (perhaps due to it having a shorter shelf life than Rodinal and my buying it in 5 litre packs).

I too am a Rodinal user but I wouldn't think it is too suitable for HP5 unless you like your grain huge.

I don't think it's that bad, although obviously it has been for you. I've dev'd a fair amount of HP5 in Rodinal and haven't noticed it being any more grainy than HP5 dev'd in other types.

R09 (rodinal) for me. Wanna try a batch? Get a couple of 500ml bottles and I can run up a Patterson-ful for you to try out.

I still use Ilford Rapid Fixer and Ilfostop though :D

I'm a big fan of T-Max Developer, which is unusual to hear - most film people tend to be mainly supporters of Rodinal, XTOL, HC110 or D76/ID11.

Why? Because it's very easy to deal with as a liquid, economy is great (it's significantly cheaper than Rodinal and most other developers due to multiple use from one batch), it gets a superb amount of shadow detail (especially with its equivalent T-Max film) and it's good at minimising grain.

I never really liked HP5+ much - as much as I admire Ilford's commitment to film, I much prefer the Kodak B&W ISO 400 emulsions - both Tri-X and T-Max 400 are fantastic emulsions. Buy a roll of each (and maybe Fuji Neopan 400, which has superbly smooth tones, and Delta 400 for comparison) and try them out, no harm.

I had ID11 as my favourite developer for Tri-X but switched to D76, purely on the grounds that it's cheaper per unit volume. For all intents and purposes it's the same stuff and has the added bonus that it's a one part mixture.

Where can I find true times for Rodinal for HP5 and Tri-X?

Either dilution, Im having so many problems with this developer and I want to get it right.

well im sorry to be of no help Adrian ,but i use id 11 and hp5 ,with the odd roll of fp4 now and again. i like it so ive no reason to change :)

Firstly I applaude your brave decision to embrace change, although one thing at a time, as you say, is the safe option. Too much change at one time may cause your head to explode :LOL:

As far as developers go, I use Rodinal (and have done ever since my return to home dev'ing 3 years ago) It's cheap, it lasts for ages and it's reliable

Nick, thanks for this, there is certainly lots to think about in the many helpful repsonses to my original post, at this rate I might also be buying another colour shirt too:LOL:

I do think I might need to rethink my film of choice as well as the developer. That is very exciting though now I have convinced my self of the need to change!

Certainly the votes are stacking up for Rodinal, the cheapness and longevity are real pluses, although it sounds like I will need as mentioned to try a new monochrome emulsion:eek:

I'd say Caffenol because it's fun, but without knowing what you shoot and how you want it to look it may not suit.

Alan, thanks for this, I think I need to find out a little more about caffenol. My shooting is pretty eclectic although mainly, street, landscapes and people

I too am a Rodinal user but I wouldn't think it is too suitable for HP5 unless you like your grain huge. Try Kodak XTOL, which I also like but can only justify using if I am shooting more film (perhaps due to it having a shorter shelf life than Rodinal and my buying it in 5 litre packs).

Mustinair, this sounds interesting, sounds like it has to be bought in big quantities. I will look at the details of that too

I don't think it's that bad, although obviously it has been for you. I've dev'd a fair amount of HP5 in Rodinal and haven't noticed it being any more grainy than HP5 dev'd in other types.

R09 (rodinal) for me. Wanna try a batch? Get a couple of 500ml bottles and I can run up a Patterson-ful for you to try out.

I still use Ilford Rapid Fixer and Ilfostop though :D

Arthur, that would be excellent and much appreciated. I shot two rolls of 120 HP5 this weekend and that would be an interesting test. I will get some clean bottles in the week

I'm a big fan of T-Max Developer, which is unusual to hear - most film people tend to be mainly supporters of Rodinal, XTOL, HC110 or D76/ID11.

Why? Because it's very easy to deal with as a liquid, economy is great (it's significantly cheaper than Rodinal and most other developers due to multiple use from one batch), it gets a superb amount of shadow detail (especially with its equivalent T-Max film) and it's good at minimising grain.

I never really liked HP5+ much - as much as I admire Ilford's commitment to film, I much prefer the Kodak B&W ISO 400 emulsions - both Tri-X and T-Max 400 are fantastic emulsions. Buy a roll of each (and maybe Fuji Neopan 400, which has superbly smooth tones, and Delta 400 for comparison) and try them out, no harm.

Freecom, many thanks for this, I am very interested too in this chemical. I have seen some fantastic work by a friend who has always shot on Tmax, also I think you are right, I need to buy a roll or two of a number of different 400 ASA emulsions, and try them out. When I have decide ion a developer to experiment with I shall do this I think:)

Rodinal and Ilfotec LC29

Thanks Asha, the votes are staking up for giving Rodinol a go, especially with Arthur’s kind offer.

I had ID11 as my favourite developer for Tri-X but switched to D76, purely on the grounds that it's cheaper per unit volume. For all intents and purposes it's the same stuff and has the added bonus that it's a one part mixture.

Nick thanks for this, although I have never used D76 I have always worked on the assumption that it is chemically the same or very very similar to ID11, hadn't twigged that it might be cheaper though.

Can I say a very big thanks to all for taking the time to offer advice, it is appreciated. Watch this space I will report back on my choice of Developer and possible new mono emulsion!

Last edited:
well im sorry to be of no help Adrian ,but i use id 11 and hp5 ,with the odd roll of fp4 now and again. i like it so ive no reason to change :)

Donutagain, you and I seem to be in a minority, your post is of help though. I can see I am going to have a fun winter in the darkroom ( read small bathroom;)) trying some new chemical out. It will be interesting to compare it all to my historic HP5 ID11 combo.

Last edited:
Sounds like I need to give Rodinal a go.

Still on my first batch of developer - Aculux. Seems to work ok though.

I have moved from HP5 to TMax. Much prefer the TMax. Just blasted through my last roll of HP5 today. It's drying as I type.

Sounds like I need to give Rodinal a go.

Still on my first batch of developer - Aculux. Seems to work ok though.

I have moved from HP5 to TMax. Much prefer the TMax. Just blasted through my last roll of HP5 today. It's drying as I type.

Simon, I am very intersted in how you are finding Tmax compared to HP5. Are you seeeing a big difference, what is grain like, I asume it to be finer than HP5any thoughts would be interesting to hear.

On the basis of joining this forum and based onthe perspective of the excellent 'Emulsion Heads' here, I am definitely going to give Rodinal a go:clap:

I find the Tmax to be way finer grained and, on first impressions, seems to have a better tonal range too.

I use Patterson Aculux 3, its a one shot general purpose developer but it gives fairly fine grained negatives that are also quite sharp and it is very economical with a long life from opening (I opened mine in January and its still fine now). I got it over Ilfosol 3 simply because it was about the same price for double the amount, user reports indicated it lasted longer and it was supposed to be a nice easy to use developer which gave good results (Its one of AG Photographic's recommendations for a starter developer but nothing says you can't use it if your more experienced.)

I like the results that I get from it but I am going to have a go with XTOL or Atomal 49 when it runs out or expires to see what I prefer.

I like 1 shots, mixing developer seems like an added faff unless you need the specific characteristics of that developer.
I think its good to go with brand developers, so ilford for ilford, kodak for kodak....etc.
I like Ilfosol, and I'll also give a second for LC29, but the trouble with LC29 is its colourless, like....say.....fixer !
Of course if I ever do it again, I'll have to take myself down to the shed and attack my genitals with malicious intent, so its safer I don't use it.
Off brand its gotta be Rodinal, its good for most things and if you spend enough time with it, can get to know it intimately, and that can be a big bonus when collating results.

:)

the trouble with LC29 is its colourless, like....say.....fixer !

Mmmm dare i admit to fixing a film prior to deving it with lc29 .....wouldn't mind, I have jugs marked dev, stop and fix yet still screwed up.

On that (very important) note about colourless developers, that's bizarrely where developers that can be reused are actually quite useful - because the anti-halation backing tends to come off mostly in the developer stage, it turns the dev a different colour so you know it's never fix that you are pouring in (y)

Although the latest runs of Fomapan no longer have it, the bright blue anti-halation layer was always a great sight (and always a shock for the first time) when developing some Foma film.

Yes, Rodinal (RO9) does it with TriX. Is this something new ?
Cannot remember it previously, FC2 is right quite a shock at first, did three rolls this afternoon still cannot get used to it !

C

My first Kodak run shocked me by turning the fixer pink, I dumped the whole 2 litres on the strength that the fixer was contaminated by.....err.......pink

My first Kodak run shocked me by turning the fixer pink, I dumped the whole 2 litres on the strength that the fixer was contaminated by.....err.......pink

Adox CMS does that too - it came out of the Dev tank bright pink, practically glowing. It was only in there 30 seconds as well! Fades back to it's usual ochrous hue within a few hours though.

To the OP - Caffenol would be good for people, probably not so hot for street. (It's low contrast normally, but I think of it as contrasty and what other people normally call contrasty is black, white and 3 shades of dark grey)

I like 1 shots, mixing developer seems like an added faff unless you need the specific characteristics of that developer.
I think its good to go with brand developers, so ilford for ilford, kodak for kodak....etc.
I like Ilfosol, and I'll also give a second for LC29, but the trouble with LC29 is its colourless, like....say.....fixer !
Of course if I ever do it again, I'll have to take myself down to the shed and attack my genitals with malicious intent, so its safer I don't use it.
Off brand its gotta be Rodinal, its good for most things and if you spend enough time with it, can get to know it intimately, and that can be a big bonus when collating results.

:)

Joxby, thanks for this, I do like the idea of one shot, and that will be factor in my choice, again looking like Rodinal for me to try!

I also certainly want to avoid something that looks like fixer :nono:

Mmmm dare i admit to fixing a film prior to deving it with lc29 .....wouldn't mind, I have jugs marked dev, stop and fix yet still screwed up.

I hope you didn't take yourself to the shed afterwards!:LOL:

Adox CMS does that too - it came out of the Dev tank bright pink, practically glowing. It was only in there 30 seconds as well! Fades back to it's usual ochrous hue within a few hours though.

To the OP - Caffenol would be good for people, probably not so hot for street. (It's low contrast normally, but I think of it as contrasty and what other people normally call contrasty is black, white and 3 shades of dark grey)

Have read a bit about Caffenol, at this stage I am not sure it is for me, thanks for the information. all is very useful.

Back