Developing Fomapan - A question...

It shouldn't affect your stop and fixer, Foma can be a pig for holding bubbles, give it a good 20°c pre-wash and be sure to give the tank 4 or 5 good taps on the work surface after each agitation

I always pre-wash black and white in water at about the same temperature as the developer. You don't need to worry about the stop and fix, any colour change will have been done by then.

The fixer should break down the inks anyway and end up clear after a while.

Just checked my D23 it's a pretty murky colour but it works fine.

Last edited:
I don't really care that much about it tbh.

But then my results pretty much show that... So YMMV as always!

I've deved it in Microphen and reused the full x10 - turns a funky colour, but no affect that I could see on its function, or that of the stop bath and fixer.

I decided to forego the pre-wash in the end. It looked like someone had tipped lime cordial in the sink after I poured out the developer. The stop-bath looks marginally greener than the yellowish colour it was previously, but the fixer looks the same. Not scanned the negs yet, but they look ok.

One thing you should never do, I've discovered, is flick the negatives, Indiana Jones-style, to remove excess water before hanging them up, only to squeeze the clip a little too hard and watch the entire strip fly loose and sail into the bottom of the shower cubicle! :LOL:

Luckily I still had the wetting agent bath still in the tank, so gave them another dunk to get rid of any freshly added crap. :)

Back