Developing Kodachrome 64 slide film RESULTS (or lack of as the case may be!) ADDED

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I've found a Kodachrome 64 colour slide film loaded in a 126 instamatic.

I have no idea regards developing this type of film, so asked at local lab to be told "not a chance anywhere"!! ...brilliant, so helpfull!

I've found this place online which i'll use as a last resort unless anyone can come up with a better idea as I doubt it can be cross processed in b&w chemistry or can it??

Last edited:
AFAIK I don't think Kodachrome can be colour processed by anyone at the moment. (Even C22 have a'watch this space' link) I think it can be processed b&w but that kind of defeats the object really.

I haven't read the whole thread but it appears if you go to last page people have had some success

http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00XvHp

Last edited:
AFAIK I don't think Kodachrome can be colour processed by anyone at the moment. (Even C22 have a'watch this space' link) I think it can be processed b&w but that kind of defeats the object really.

I didn't know the camera had a film in it tbh!

I picked it up with a 120 folder of which got used immediatley.

The instamatic got put to one side with a view to obtain some OOD 126 film or mess with cut sheet film.

Naturally I'm very curious as to the contents ( showing 17 frames exposed) .......I can live with cross processing it to b&w simply to have a chance to view the images if there really is nowhere to dev it in colour.

Would need some advice on times though ...I have had ok results with C41 colour film in Rodinal 1:50 10 mins @ 20°c

The lab are pretty much right. There was a report of someone successfully processing some on APUG, but there is no commercial proper processing anywhere, at all, full stop - the only processing available does not use correct processes (I.e. B&W).

The lab are pretty much right. There was a report of someone successfully processing some on APUG, but there is no commercial proper processing anywhere, at all, full stop - the only processing available does not use correct processes (I.e. B&W).

OK.... somewhat of a shame :(

B&W cross process it is then ........Asha runs off like an excited child to read Nicks link hoping all the technical details are there..........:D

Thanks for the groundwork Nick .........The highest temperature i've ever processed at was 27°c,.....according to this guys write up it looks like 30°c plus is needed :eek:.....seems very high to me but hey I'm a novice......:thinking: :D

Just found a whole forum dedicated to Kodachrome :LOL:

oooh.......sounds VERY promising!.....I bet this wasn't on your plans for this afternoon :LOL:

No, I'm supposed to be doing my tax and working out my business expenses for 20111/12 and instead I have been trawling the internet for interesting facts about Kodachrome.

I'm so easily distracted :LOL:

I've found a Kodachrome 64 colour slide film loaded in a 126 instamatic.

Now there's a highly unusual combination. I know 126 cassettes can be reloaded with other films but Kodachrome 64 - WOW!

If it's an original Kodachrome 64 cassette - double WOW!

No wonder you are curious about what's on there. I hope you manage to get something off the film. Good luck!

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

Now there's a highly unusual combination. I know 126 cassettes can be reloaded with other films but Kodachrome 64 - WOW!

If it's an original Kodachrome 64 cassette - double WOW!

No wonder you are curious about what's on there. I hope you manage to get something off the film. Good luck!

Please keep us posted on how you get on.

It's an original kodachrome cassette....I'll post results assuming I manage to get any.(y)

Need a little more info yet especially about temperature of b&w chemicals.

Also, having never devd 126 film before, I want to learn how to open the cassette with minimal damage.......it will lake a nice addition to my film canister collection(y)

It's an original kodachrome cassette....I'll post results assuming I manage to get any.(y)

Need a little more info yet especially about temperature of b&w chemicals.

Also, having never devd 126 film before, I want to learn how to open the cassette with minimal damage.......it will lake a nice addition to my film canister collection(y)

Good luck Asha - I hope you get some great surprises with the images after all your efforts!

Hi Asha,

The K-14M process used Ilford PQ developer in the first (B&W developer) step so if you can get your hands on some of that then it may work better. PQ is a paper developer but you can also use it for film. In the K-14M process it was diluted 1+9 for high contrast as obviously it was for projection but it may work better to dilute it at 1+9 and try about 3 - 3.5 minutes at 20 degrees after looking at the datasheet for the developer where it seems that films lose about 1/3rd to 1 stop of speed in the developer and recommends 4:00 for Delta 100 at ISO 80 and FP4+ at ISO 64.

jeebus....its an absolute tragedy all over again

you can't develop Kodachrome 64 in b/w chemicals, it just ain't right...:crying:

oh go on then, but you must pay penance, tomato sauce on your sunday roast for 6 months..

Hi Asha,

The K-14M process used Ilford PQ developer in the first (B&W developer) step so if you can get your hands on some of that then it may work better. PQ is a paper developer but you can also use it for film. In the K-14M process it was diluted 1+9 for high contrast as obviously it was for projection but it may work better to dilute it at 1+9 and try about 3 - 3.5 minutes at 20 degrees after looking at the datasheet for the developer where it seems that films lose about 1/3rd to 1 stop of speed in the developer and recommends 4:00 for Delta 100 at ISO 80 and FP4+ at ISO 64.

Thank you for the detailed info ...I'll look further into usng PQ developer!

jeebus....its an absolute tragedy all over again

you can't develop Kodachrome 64 in b/w chemicals, it just ain't right...:crying:

oh go on then, but you must pay penance, tomato sauce on your sunday roast for 6 months..

I know John, I agree it sure doesn't feel right but what can I do if no one does the K-14M process anymore?

I'll do more homework and learn enough to hopefully succeed before doing the dirty work (cross process!) as at least if i get images in b&w it sort of compensates for not having it devd as it was intended.

Tom sauce on sunday roast ...probably wouldn't have bothered me as a teenager as i ate all sorts of concoctions but as i've been veggie for 20+ years, just the thought makes me feel kinda :puke: :D

Just noticed a slight mistake I made, I said to use it at 1+9, I meant to say 1+19.

Thanks for the groundwork Nick .........The highest temperature i've ever processed at was 27°c,.....according to this guys write up it looks like 30°c plus is needed :eek:.....seems very high to me but hey I'm a novice......:thinking: :D

I've just had a re read of this and realised that I miss understood the mention (in the link) about 30°c temperature.....The guy was talking about reversal developing and how he would use warm water to wash the film if he cross processed again in Rodinal.

Haven't yet decided on which approach to take towards deving this film yet....Rodinal is lookin promising (simply as I've already got stock of that!), but haven't dissmissed PQ developer....need to pass by my local shop and see if he stocks it.

Well PQ developer was a no go with my local chemical supplier and it will be a while before I make a bulk chem/film order with my usual outlet based in the UK so Rodinal it was.

After reading several articles on using rodinal i decided to follow this guys advice to the letter:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/century_graphic/315079338/

The Rem-Jet proved very little problem at all, however the final results were dissapointing:

The shots look to have been taking by someone very amature, perhaps a child.

I have messed with them briefly in PP, primariy to add a little contrast but as can be seen the shots look to be blurred, poorly composed and a little underexposed ( possibly the deving admittedly!)

Nonetheless i'm pleased to have had a go.

I could only salvage these three.

The cartridge was a little fiddly to get into even after watching Utube tutorials and indeed it has cracked slightly but still in good enough condition to go in my display cabinet alongside many other old films/cartridges!

75527245.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-14

77834191.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-14

47828343.jpg

Shot at 2012-09-14

The shots look to have been taking by someone very amature, perhaps a child.

I could only salvage these three.

I think you're probably right, either a child or someone very inebriated who had little or no concept that despite having one of the poorest cameras ever produced it was in fact loaded with quite possibly the finest film ever.

What a shame :(

Bad luck Asha - but at least you tried and made a valiant effort. Well done anyway.

so thats where my last ( lost ) arty film went ! :D

I've just remembered I bought a Kodak 77x Instamatic 126 camera with a film in it. Just had a look and the other film that came with it (which was supposed to be unused) is also completed. At least I think it is but having never seen a 126 cartridge before I'm not 100%.
Anyway I shall get them finished and dev'ed.

Andy

I've just remembered I bought a Kodak 77x Instamatic 126 camera with a film in it. Just had a look and the other film that came with it (which was supposed to be unused) is also completed. At least I think it is but having never seen a 126 cartridge before I'm not 100%.
Anyway I shall get them finished and dev'ed.

Andy

Don't forget to allow for film speed deterioration depending how old the films are......I think a very rough guide is one stop for each decade...ie: for a 200 iso film dated 1989, shoot it as 50 iso

Could be interesting then, the film went out of date in 1979.....eek

Mmmm I'd probably allow two full stops for it Andy rather than possibly chance blowing the highlights and pull the shadows in pp.....

All the fun of Lomo....:D

Check which process it uses, for that time frame it could well be for the C-22 process which was not phased out until 1974 (except fpr 110 which got it in 1972).

Stumbled on this forum while searching for someone to develop my Kodachrome 64 35mm film that I found in the back of a drawer. I'm not a photographer and wouldn't have a clue how to develop a film. Does anyone want to have a go for me? Of course, I'll refund the cost of chemicals.

Stumbled on this forum while searching for someone to develop my Kodachrome 64 35mm film that I found in the back of a drawer. I'm not a photographer and wouldn't have a clue how to develop a film. Does anyone want to have a go for me? Of course, I'll refund the cost of chemicals.

I'll have a crack at it if you want

You don't have to pay for the chemicals as they cost next to nothing and i fancy a bit of a challenge (y)

You don't have to pay for the chemicals as they cost next to nothing and i fancy a bit of a challenge (y)

Fantastic! It hasn't been kept well - probably spent some years in the loft :eek: - so there may be nothing on it; but it might have come from my late brother's camera so I'd like to take a look.

Please let me know where to send it. Could you make use of some really old Agfa Brovira paper? It was my late father's from years ago (price was 7/6!) so may not be any good now. If you want it, I'll send that too.

Many thanks for your kind offer.

Now Kodak are selling themselves off why isn't the process and chemical compositions needed freely available anywhere? It's no skin off kodak's nose....

I wonder if any details are in the US patents database?

They've been freely available for years, its just that nobody actually makes the chemicals as Kodak used to make them themselves through their sister chemical company Tennessee Eastman and the dyes, bleach etc are unique to the process and somewhat difficult to manufacture plus theres no real commercial market for them except for this so nobody makes them.

Good luck Rob.....

The guidelines in the link offered by Nick certainly seem like a good starting point.

The fact my results came out underexposed etc was i believe more down to the photographer and not my skills (well that's my version of events anyway!! lol)

If you're lucky then the rem jet will come off easy as it did for me.

There is a guy in Austrialia on APUG who used the lab facility where he works to develop some Kodachrome fairly successfully after several attempts, but before you start getting excited he's already made plain that he's not going to be doing processing for anyone else and he was only able to do it as he had access to a state of the art analytical lab.

I'll try and find the thread.

Right

Developed the Kodachrome this afternoon and there are results

For anyone else who wants to try it i'll write down the steps i used

1) Soak in water for about 30 mins to try and soften the RemJet coating
2) Stand dev in Rodinal 1:100 with agitations when the chemicals go in and at the 30 min mark for 20 seconds
3) Stopped for normal time
4) Fix for about 10 mins
5) Wash carefully as the RemJet layer will be coming off, i ran the film through my fingers like a squeegee under the tap and that got the layer off after a few passes but has stained my fingers black

Hope that's of some use to someone

Woohoo :clap:

Oops. Hope it's not permanent. :eek:

Will get the shots scanned in when the film has dried

Well the stain is pretty stubborn, so far it's been a few hours and it's not gone yet

Right

Developed the Kodachrome this afternoon and there are results

For anyone else who wants to try it i'll write down the steps i used

1) Soak in water for about 30 mins to try and soften the RemJet coating
2) Stand dev in Rodinal 1:100 with agitations when the chemicals go in and at the 30 min mark for 20 seconds
3) Stopped for normal time
4) Fix for about 10 mins
5) Wash carefully as the RemJet layer will be coming off, i ran the film through my fingers like a squeegee under the tap and that got the layer off after a few passes but has stained my fingers black

Hope that's of some use to someone

Good to hear you got results Rob....Well done!(y)

What with "sticky fingers" and "stained fingers".....so long as you don't get "trapped fingers":puke: .....us wise folk wear gloves though have to confess I'm not sure pink marigolds would suit you:D

Last edited:
Just scanned them in and got useable results, the negs are quite dense due to the red/brown backing which would normally be bleached

Will post a couple if Jeniallergy agrees to it

Back