Diary of a medium format virgin.

3907_001-S1-0011.jpg

Quelle surpise!

3907_001-S1-0012.jpg

Not quite what I had in mind but it was hard to frame with the camera on the bench and me being so close, if I'd stood up I might have spotted the obvious problem though. I quite like the colours though.

Comment away folks, I know most of these would be deleted if they were on my DSLR. I'd have been really p155ed off if I'd taken these on my KM5D but I've had so much fun with these and I now can't wait for the roll if slide film to come back.

LOL. My RB67 is supposed to be double exposure proof, but we'll see. :D

Definite signs of progress, with the last one looking good, but just a bit contrasty, although you'd have had just the same problem with your DSLR in that light - you'd have been better moving into the shade.

I'm glad to see you're enjoying it and not letting these little setbacks deter you. It's a totally different way of working, and you're bound to have problems initially. Just remember.... big oaks - little acorns. ;)

I've just loaded a roll of Provia 100F into the RB and I'm itching to get going. I just get such a buzz out of MF which digital doesn't give me.

I thought my Ikonta was double exposure proof to. It certainly gives a little click as you wind it on.

The alarm bells started ringing when I had taken 10 shots, and it read 5 in the window...

Unfortunately it seems the double exposure lock assumes that the user is intelligent enough that, once warned that he has to wind the film on, he winds it on fully... One film down.

(Did get some really interesting shots though)

Nice to see it being used Kev, maybe i should have sent you an old ensign selfix camera i have somewhere, because you only forget to wind on once with it.
It has sharp reminder if you dont, in the middle of the shutter release button it has really sharp spike and if you dont wind on the film when you attempt to press the shutter, this spike sticks up into your finger and can draw blood:puke:

lullz @ spiked button, actually, that's not a bad idea, how about 50,000 volts for blowing highlights with your dslr :LOL:

Kev, #8 is ropey because the scanner was having difficulty finding something to scan, they auto correct exposure after a scan, I bet that neg is as dark as a dark thing.....in a black hole...at night.
You'd have to scan it without auto correct to see it how it was, or print it with an enlarger, the noise/funny colour cast comes from the scanner sensor.

Well done Kev! I'm enjoying you little adventure into MF. I had a Lubitel many (many) years ago and funnily enough I managed a few multiple exposures, but mine were nowhere near as 'artistic' as yours :clap: - Love Number 7 - that fire is well cool :puke:

Hey Kev ... :eek: ... well done m8 ... (y) ... at least you've got some recognisable efforts on film to lose your cherry with ... :D

I haven't plucked up the course to attempt loading the 120 in to my RB yet ... :cautious: ... and I have plenty of it to practice with ... :shrug:

At this rate I am not going to have a practice roll or three back from anywhere before my foray into Scotland in June ... :eek:

Good effort m8 I am well impressed ... ;) ... and your diary is a good read too ... :LOL:

:p

Got my first roll of colour slide back from DLAB7 today, unfortunately they couldn't/wouldn't scan to CD so I'm off to blow £130 I don't have on a scanner, should be here tomorrow if I get my act together. Quite nice being able to hold them up to the window and see what's there I must say. Looks like there's only one double exposure, some damned aweful self portraits and a couple that I'm actually quite liking (which is unusual for me as I'm a fussy bastad). Stay tuned for the next diary update (with mugshots).

I am not jealous at all...;)

Which scanner Kev? I'm chuffed with mine - flatbed scanners have come on out of all recognition.

I've decided to go with the Epson 4490, can only just stretch to that this month so no chance of getting the 4990 of whatever it's replacement is. Did look at a canon 8800 something or other that was about a tenner cheaper but I've read enough good things about the epson to not worry about a tenner.

Nice one Kev

I do like the double exposure ones, maybe we should have a "Double/Multiple forgot to wind on exposure" photo contest :D

I've decided to go with the Epson 4490, can only just stretch to that this month so no chance of getting the 4990 of whatever it's replacement is. Did look at a canon 8800 something or other that was about a tenner cheaper but I've read enough good things about the epson to not worry about a tenner.

The Epson will be great. (y)

You might want to try out this http://www.hamrick.com/ scanning s/w. Works with a multitude of scanners.

Excellent thread, btw, I really must get my old 6*6 out and have another go with it.

Thanks for the link John-oh, I'll see how things go when the scanner turns up. Glad your enjoying the thread too.

Congrats on the scanner purchase Kev ... (y)

Intrigued why DLab don't scan to CD ... :shrug: ... did you know this before ... :thinking:

No I didn't know. I bought the development voucher through 7dayshop and then looked at the dlab7 website as I was packaging up the film. I thought it said it was a tenner to scan to CD so stuck a cheque in with the film. I got a call a few days later saying they couldn't scan medium format (didn't give a reason and where I was it was too noisy to get into a conversation about it) and asked if I wanted the film developed and cheque returned or if I wanted everything sending back as is. Looking at the bit of paper that came with the negs I presume they only scan 35mm.

Never mind, it won't be a problem for much longer. How are you getting on with the new camera?

Never mind, it won't be a problem for much longer. How are you getting on with the new camera?

Thanks for the update ... (y) ... always good to know these things beforehand ... ;)

I have had a couple of forays with the Polaroid back but tbh have been bit nervous about the whole 120 thing - which is totally daft because we are off to Scotland in just over two weeks and I had planned to practice and get some results back before we go ... :eek: ... maybe this coming weekend will see me playing for real and will still leave me time to get the developed stuff back ... :D

AND ... my Green Holga arrived today ... :woot: ... :naughty: ... another camera not to use as my Son says ... :shrug:

Come on Ven, you have to take the plunge. I'm going to Scotland the same time as you so I might just have to take it along (it's a family holiday and I will be ritually murdered!)

I've got two rolls waiting to develop, I'm off to the cellar tomorrow with my developer..........I may be some time......................

Come on Ven, you have to take the plunge. I'm going to Scotland the same time as you so I might just have to take it along (it's a family holiday and I will be ritually murdered!)

I've got two rolls waiting to develop, I'm off to the cellar tomorrow with my developer..........I may be some time......................

:LOL: ... thanx for the encouragement Ali ... (y) ... I am not sure I will ever get into the developing thing again but I am determined to take the monster (and every other new toy !) to Scotland and there is no way it is coming back unused ... :cautious:

But any rolls will be packed off for developing and, hopefully, scanning as I am a lazy git ... :D

Right Ven
thats it
its time
cometh the hour...cometh the...snake.:LOL:
Get some Velvia, your b/w licence has been revoked due to in-activity.:p
Can't think of a more beau place to shoot landscapes than Scotland, leave the digital in the tent and for one day shoot Scottish landscape on some 100F.

Sometimes ya just gotta hold yer nose and jump in, like when you got your first mortgage......err :cautious:..

ok, you get one roll of b/w to try before Scotland, just to make sure the camera is light tight and exposure is near enough(y)

You can't go and not shoot 6x7 slides, it'd be a crime against humanity.

Right Ven
thats it
its time
cometh the hour...cometh the...snake.
Get some Velvia, your b/w licence has been revoked due to in-activity.:p
Can't think of a more beau place to shoot landscapes than Scotland, leave the digital in the tent and for one day shoot Scottish landscape on some 100F.

Sometimes ya just gotta hold yer nose and jump in, like when you got your first mortgage......err

ok, you get one roll of b/w to try before Scotland, just to make sure the camera is light tight and exposure is near enough

You can't go and not shoot 6x7 slides, it'd be a crime against humanity.

:LOL: .. :wacky:

But seriously ... my currently un-opened film tally stands at ...

PanF+ 50 = x2 rolls

FP4+ 125 = x2 rolls

Velvia 50 = x5 rolls

Plus two opened including one wasted Polaroid pack ... :LOL:

So am I prepared or what ... :naughty: ... just gotta get some in the three or four backs I've now got and I can play away to my hearts ... :eek:

And I was gonna try one of each before Scotland so my promise to me is to take at least a full roll of B & W this weekend of any old subject close to hand and get it off to a lab come Tuesday ... :rules:

And I do agree with your can't go and not take 6 x 7 images of the experience ... ;)

Maybe ... :woot:

You could do a wider iso range, your fastest film is 125 and that's b/w, just so you do have a choice.
There are times (as a Bronny shooter) when handholding i........actually, I bet I spend 70% of my time handholding, maybe you can get away with iso 50 if you don't plan on handholding....ever.
I take 5x100 & 5x400 slide, and a cart load of in between speeds b/w, just incase the weather is a crapper, I usually end up buying more slide when I get there:bonk:

What happens is, you shoot a roll, and even though you haven't seen a single pre-view:LOL:, you can't put the sodding thing down till you've shot the lot....its so addictive, and thats without seeing one damn photo:LOL:, its even worse when you know what you are getting.

I've bought a few rolls of Provia 100, (reversal) because I just love the stuff, with it's fine grain, and it's incredible ability to expose for as long as 2 minutes without any need to calculate added exposure for reciprocity failure, and with no nasty colour shifts either. Some would claim you could go longer, but Fuji themselves say two minutes.

Joxby makes a good point though, 100 ISO can be too slow in many situations, and having a few different speed films is a good idea.

You could do a wider iso range, your fastest film is 125 and that's b/w, just so you do have a choice.
There are times (as a Bronny shooter) when handholding i........actually, I bet I spend 70% of my time handholding, maybe you can get away with iso 50 if you don't plan on handholding....ever.
I take 5x100 & 5x400 slide, and a cart load of in between speeds b/w, just incase the weather is a crapper, I usually end up buying more slide when I get there:bonk:

What happens is, you shoot a roll, and even though you haven't seen a single pre-view:LOL:, you can't put the sodding thing down till you've shot the lot....its so addictive, and thats without seeing one damn photo:LOL:, its even worse when you know what you are getting.

I've bought a few rolls of Provia 100, (reversal) because I just love the stuff, with it's fine grain, and it's incredible ability to expose for as long as 2 minutes without any need to calculate added exposure for reciprocity failure, and with no nasty colour shifts either. Some would claim you could go longer, but Fuji themselves say two minutes.

Joxby makes a good point though, 100 ISO can be too slow in many situations, and having a few different speed films is a good idea.

Very useful tips thanks a lot guys ... (y) ... I have to say I had envisaged having the beast 'podded all the time and thought slower might be better but it does make sense to take some faster slide stuff and keep a back empty jic ... :D

If I can find some Provia I may get some ordered ... ;) ... but 400 seems to be the way to go for faster stuff ... :shrug:

jaz-uk sells 5 packs of Provia 100F on fleabay Rog. Good price and fast delivery too.

Yep- something around 400 ISO for those duller days sounds about right.

Velvia is lovely stuff, but I just find the colour saturation a bit OTT sometimes, whereas Provia is more subtle and gives a stop more speed over Velvia. You should ought to take a roll or two of Provia to Scotland. Doing a Google image search on Provia will throw up loads of sample images.

What's holding you back Ven? Do what I did and write the first two or three rolls off as an experiment. I had no intention of getting any shots to be proud of whatsoever. All I wanted was to get a feel for what I was doing and having no self-expectations (which is unheard of for me) meant I could just get on and shoot.

With digital I'm always lookingat what I've just taken and getting annoyed about what should/could have been. None of that with film, I make a barely educated guess and get on with it and whatever happens happens. I'm sure this mindset won't last forever but I'm making the most of it whilst it does.

Things might be different for you because you have different expectations of your kit than I have of mine but if you write the first couple of rolls of to experience at least you'll get the ball rolling. (y)

jaz-uk sells 5 packs of Provia 100F on fleabay Rog. Good price and fast delivery too.

Yep- something around 400 ISO for those duller days sounds about right.

Velvia is lovely stuff, but I just find the colour saturation a bit OTT sometimes, whereas Provia is more subtle and gives a stop more speed over Velvia. You should ought to take a roll or two of Provia to Scotland. Doing a Google image search on Provia will throw up loads of sample images.

Thanx Cedric, I did use Jaz for some of my 120 and will have no hesitation in going back to him for Provia ... :D ... and a five pack should do me fine then ... ;)

Good to have your input ... (y)

What's holding you back Ven? Do what I did and write the first two or three rolls off as an experiment. I had no intention of getting any shots to be proud of whatsoever. All I wanted was to get a feel for what I was doing and having no self-expectations (which is unheard of for me) meant I could just get on and shoot.

With digital I'm always lookingat what I've just taken and getting annoyed about what should/could have been. None of that with film, I make a barely educated guess and get on with it and whatever happens happens. I'm sure this mindset won't last forever but I'm making the most of it whilst it does.

Things might be different for you because you have different expectations of your kit than I have of mine but if you write the first couple of rolls of to experience at least you'll get the ball rolling. (y)

I hear you Kev ... :D ... and this coming fine weekend will see me wasting at least two rolls of good fillum ... :eek: ... your words of encouragement are appreciated ... :LOL:

What I will not do is commit to posting any of this weekends results ... :cautious:

Go on! I did :)

If you are looking for B&W you could try Ilford HP5 ISO 400. I'm loving it :)

Well I did recently post my first ever MF even if it was only a crappy Polaroid ... :D

Thanx for the tip Ali ... (y) ... might just do that as I used to love HP5 in 35mm format ... ;)

Wowsa ... :eek: ... ordered 1 x 5 Provia 100F and 1 x 5 Provia 400X yesterday and they arrived today ... :clap:

Big up to Jaz-uk for extremely efficient service ... impressed once again, I am ... :clap:

Food for though over this coming long weekend ... :D

... and reckon I am well sorted for the holiday now ... probably no time for anything but photography at this rate what with twenty odd rolls of fillum, x2 packs of Polaroid and four cameras ... :eek:

Ahem! As one of the "fairer" sex, I think you had better make some time! :)

Neither will her mood if you bog off togging the whole time!

Thunderous might just about cover it. :bat:

(Just kidding your dear lady might actually enjoy it!)

Ok, so, technically I'm no longer the medium format virgin. I guess now I'm the highly inexperienced, done it once, room for improvement, medium formatter. Doesn't sound the same does it.

Anyway, I finally figured out my scanner, I need to mess about some more as the workflow isn't exactly flowing but here's a selection of my first roll of slide film, mostly shot at Bradgate Park on a ridiculously bright day whihc made me regret having loaded a roll of ISO400 a few days earlier.
img003.jpg

img005.jpg

img008.jpg

img010.jpg

img011.jpg

img013.jpg

img014.jpg

There's three frames missing where I was shooting myself and they're not fit for public consumption. I haven't done anything to these in photoshop as I really can't be arsed this morning and they're probably not worth the effort anyway. As you will see there was only one double exposure this time (I can assure you the three missing frames were not doubles either).

Looking at the slides against the window I was quite pleased but now I have them on the desktop I'm much less so. I'm generally quite hard on myself and tend to expect too much too soon and the same can be said of the equipment I use. I was hoping for better tbh but I doubt shooting at F22 on this camera was ever going to produce magic results.

What film is it ?

Unfortunately, I find it impossible to re-create the contents of the frame I can see with my eyes, on screen.
Even good scanners just don't cut the custard imo.
Y'know, I'm quite impressed with slide copying, although you don't get the resolution of a scanner, provided you get the correct backlighting my D200 + macro lens really gets close to a good copy of what I can see, without too much pp.
They look a bit flat, the scanner could have washed them out a bit though, you could pep em up a bit with pp.
Theres probably a lot more in those last two that the scanner isn't picking up, even though they are dark.
Props -
for metering with flash
for getting a decent exposure into the sun
for combining springers with photography (marriage made in hell):LOL:

These aren't bad at all for shots taken into the light with fill flash. The files are only around 50kb apiece too, so suffering a lot from compression. These will look a lot better with some processing done on them.;)

Well I'm seriously impressed Kev ... (y) ... you've got images m8 ... :eek:

Don't be so flippin' hard on yourself man ... it's a brand new medium and you are on the bottom rung ... ;) ... at least you ain't no virgin no more innit ... :D

Don't forget the main thing we're in it for ... :shrug: ... enjoy !

Flipping heck kev, you don't half jump in at the deep end!

Contre jour and springers........at the same time.......

Take it easy and try some simple stuff! A far as I'm concerned, the simpler the better right now!

Back