Diary of a (rich and famous) DLSR

Name
Sheylara
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, this isn't a photography project per se, but I bought my first DSLR last month and thought it would be funny to document my progress with a blog series written from the perspective of the camera.

So, the idea is that my camera would be this obnoxious creature who would criticise all my photos. But hopefully, as time goes on, my skills will improve and there will be less to criticise. :p

I'm posting the first full entry here, but probably won't do that for future entries.

Edit: I have removed my FB link because it seems to have caused offence. The reason I am reluctant to post further full entries here is because of aesthetics. It's just simply nicer and easier to read on the actual blog because of the text and image alignment, and I have designed the colours to be easy on the eye for a good reading experience. As I said to Kodiak, this is important to me because I used to work in magazine and newspaper layout.

I use FB merely as a means of notifying readers of new posts and I promise I am not trying to gain followers or whatever. I don't even use that site regularly. But if TP members don't approve of linking to external sites, I can respect that and will refrain from doing it.

Last edited:
but probably won't do that for future entries, so do follow me on Facebook

Well Sheylara,

you've just, in a couple of words, lost me as a potentially
interested member in your project. Sorry.

diaryofadslr.gif

Well, hello! This is all rather exciting, isn’t it?

Oh, but I am EXPLODING with anticipation and I simply must proclaim so or I shall BURST INTO FLAMES right here and now. A new adventure is on the horizon! I cannot wait for it to happen, I CANNOT!!!

No, no. I must refrain from hysterics. I am a dignified being, surely.

Let’s try again.

My story began in a large chamber where I slept alongside thousands of my kind for… oh, I cannot remember, far too long.

Admittedly, there isn’t much of a story to tell. Whilst all the empty-headed plebs chattered amongst themselves, I slept and dreamt of the day a genius photographer would rescue me from warehouse purgatory to begin the fulfillment of my destiny.

0201_awards.jpg

The day has come!

I’ve always known that I was special. For what reason would I have been created but to become the DSLR that takes million-pound photographs? Yes! I will be rich and famous, the camera of the century, admired and praised around the world MWA HA HA.

Ahem. Excuse me.

I must confess, though, that I am plagued by the tiniest sliver of doubt. My new owner looks rather flighty and I wonder if she knows the first thing about photography. Has there been a mistake in assignation? Surely, my owner should be someone who looks more, I don’t know, distinguished and important?

This supposed owner is called Sheylara and I have observed that her home is full of heart motifs. How could that bode anything but bad? Look at where she has placed my battery charger: Atop a dainty and miniature cupboard FULL OF HEARTS, what?

0201_cupboard.jpg

?????

Oh, I KNOW something is definitely not right with this girl.

I mean, it’s not just the cupboard! It’s literally EVERYWHERE! Are you ready for this? Even her dinnerware has hearts!

0201_dinnerware.jpg

!!!!!

What is that I CAN’T EVEN!!!

(Okay, calm down. Dignity.)

(Breathe.)

It is possible that I am mistaken about her. We shall have to see. They say that geniuses are quirky. Perhaps she is merely one of those eccentric things who have trouble conforming. She may yet turn out to be The One.

Or… OR! It could even be that she is the idiot daughter of the real genius photographer, and has misappropriated her father’s possession out of impertinence.

Ah, yes, that must be it. Hope blossoms.

I shall report again when I know more. Wish me luck!

0201_dslr.gif

No offense, but isn't this just a ploy to get people to follow you on FB?

Actually, no. I don't care about people following me on FB. I have a page but have never advertised the fact anywhere. (Until now, that is, but I thought that was the best way to be notified of new posts.) What I care about is people reading my posts because I put effort into writing them. I will remove the link if it offends people.

Well Sheylara,

you've just, in a couple of words, lost me as a potentially
interested member in your project. Sorry.

Hi Kodiak, I'm sad to hear you say that as I'm a fan of your posts. But can you explain why you say that?

Last edited:
Wish me luck!

I wish you all the luck in the world
but I am not sure to follow…
Hi Kodiak, I'm sad to hear you say that as I'm a fan of your posts. But can you explain why you say that?
Like David, I understood that you wanted us to follow your
project on FB which I would not do. But if you posted your
project here then it is a different story. ;-)

I'd like to see your camera get taken down a peg or two by A D4 or D5.

Interesting idea.
Thanks for your comment. :) lol, yes, as I was writing it, I kept thinking the more pro cameras would LOVE to have a go at my dude. :p

Like David, I understood that you wanted us to follow your
project on FB which I would not do. But if you posted your
project here then it is a different story. ;-)
Thank you for explaining. I didn't know that people would be so disapproving of a Facebook link because I was thinking, it's an option and I'm not making anyone follow it. I'm sorry if I caused any offense so I will remove the link.

The reason why I want people to read it on my blog rather than me posting the full post here is because of aesthetics. On my blog, I can control how it looks. The photos and text are all aligned and the background colour is a subtle white so everything looks blended in nicely. I used to work in magazine and newspaper layout so that is important to me, for a good reading experience.

That's why, I thought, if people enjoyed reading my posts, they wouldn't mind reading it on my blog, and FB is just a way to notify when there is a new post.

I hope that sounds reasonable and I do appreciate your comment.

The way you worded it was basically 'here's a link to my work which you can follow as i won't be posting it here' which isn't what this site is about. There was a thread locked this morning by a moderator which just linked to someones personal instagram/facebook accounts.

I have no problem with you linking to it at all, but as this is a personal project it would be nice to be able to see it here too. It displays fine on my phone btw, no issues at all with aesthetics. It may be different on a monitor though.

Nice start keep it up, more of your camera rolling its eyes and of course later grinning then smiling.
You peasant snapper:p

Thanks for your comment, Walter! The camera at the moment is probably more outraged at landing into the hands of a noob than merely rolling its eyes. :p

The way you worded it was basically 'here's a link to my work which you can follow as i won't be posting it here' which isn't what this site is about. There was a thread locked this morning by a moderator which just linked to someones personal instagram/facebook accounts.

I have no problem with you linking to it at all, but as this is a personal project it would be nice to be able to see it here too. It displays fine on my phone btw, no issues at all with aesthetics. It may be different on a monitor though.

Fair enough. I understand where you're coming from. I suppose if many people read TP on their phones and it looks okay to you, then it's okay for me to post all my entries here. I read on my desktop computer a lot and posts here stretch the entire length of the monitor, which is long and can be hard to read (and I don't have a big monitor, only 21").

I was also partly worried that my project is text heavy and not just a pure photo project, and didn't know if it was going to be suitable on this forum.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to explain the situation.

Back