Did I get a bargain?

Edit My Images
Yes
I recently got a nikon FM, for £46. There is slight brassing on the corners, it's a bit dusty but all functions seem to work (currently) did I get this at a good price? :)

Okay, it's not particularly a bargain but for what you get, £46 is still very good value!

My advice would be not to get too caught up in it and just load some film and enjoy it.

:agree:

If you're happy with what you have bought then the price is irrelevant really.

If it is black, then you have a very hip bit of kit. FM's average about £40-ish on ebay, but if it is black with brassing at the corners then that goes up a notch because the black ones are waaaay cooler, and the brassing just says that it has been out there, in the thick of it, doing it's job. Patina, it would be called if it was a bronze sculpture, which it practically is. The fact that it is not one of the later versions but the original is just a bit hard-core. Make sure you stick a decent bit of original Nikkor glass on it and then see if you can rustle up an outfit and general look of Harrison Ford in Raiders, and you are set. Cool as *****. Honest. £46 is cheap for a modern icon. :)

:agree:

If you're happy with what you have bought then the price is irrelevant really.

Besides, because they go for relatively low prices, there is quite a wide spectrum of price range. But the price you paid is well within it

If you produce 1 photo then it is £45 per photo
10 photos £4.50
100 photos 45p
1000 photos 4.5p
10,000 photos 0.0045p

If you want a bargain use the camera. Oh and if you sell it at any time for the same price it's free.

(that said, if you're printing and adding film, add it up; digital works out far cheaper per picture)

(that said, if you're printing and adding film, add it up; digital works out far cheaper per picture)

Ah but how many frames do you need to shoot before you payback the difference between a used film slr and a modern dslr?

Last edited:
If you produce 1 photo then it is £45 per photo
10 photos £4.50
100 photos 45p
1000 photos 4.5p
10,000 photos 0.0045p

If you want a bargain use the camera. Oh and if you sell it at any time for the same price it's free.

*Can work out more expensive. Example:

Canon EOS 1DX - £5k-ish
Canon EOS 1V - £400-ish

that's a lot of film you can shoot before you've got to the cost of the DSLR. (granted once you've bought a DSLR there's not many additional costs)

Thing is though, any hobby costs money, film is no different - if you enjoy it you'll spare some disposable cash for it :)

Anyway I digress, nobody needs another film vs digital debate, everyone knows theirs pros and cons for each - so long as you enjoy what you shoot, it's all good! :D

Last edited:
If it is black, then you have a very hip bit of kit. FM's average about £40-ish on ebay, but if it is black with brassing at the corners then that goes up a notch because the black ones are waaaay cooler, and the brassing just says that it has been out there, in the thick of it, doing it's job. Patina, it would be called if it was a bronze sculpture, which it practically is. The fact that it is not one of the later versions but the original is just a bit hard-core. Make sure you stick a decent bit of original Nikkor glass on it and then see if you can rustle up an outfit and general look of Harrison Ford in Raiders, and you are set. Cool as *****. Honest. £46 is cheap for a modern icon. :)

I didn't realise my battered, brassed black FM was so trendy. I'm now way too cool for this forum, I'm off to go hang out with all the hipsters and their Lomo's.

;):D:cool:

Yes. It's a fine mechanical piece, as long as you shoot some film and appreciate it, you've done ok.

Yeah Ash if you're going to fork out 5k. The thread is about a £45 film camera.
£300 for a 2nd hand nikon D90 or £150 for a D80 would seem more sensible to me.

Professionally scanned 35mm is probably still better than the earlier DSLR's and even a hundred quid gets you quite a lot of B&W film and rodinal...

It's a fair comparison, both full frame pro bodies which shoot 14fps

£46 for a real precision camera, made in Japan - a true "classic" which should only appreciate in value, when all those 'orrible plastic digital monstrosities will be cluttering up landfill........ the bargain of the century!:D

You can't (shouldn't?) put a price on pure class - how utterly vulgar!:cool:

It's a comparison of the older model vs its latest incarnation both with not too dissimilar specs. I could make the same comparison on a lower spec body if it makes you feel better.

Canon EOS 650D - £550ish?
Canon EOS 650 - £15-ish?

Still a fair amount of difference in cash before the cost of the DSLR is reached...

Which cameras I include into the comparison is irrelivant. Again, it's pointless getting into a film vs digital debate but to declare one as definitavely far more expensive than the other is somewhat naive in my opinion. Both film and digital are as expensive as you wish to make it...

14fps with 35mm! You'd spend more time reloading than shooting.

:LOL: :LOL: I've never thought of that haha. less than 3 seconds to empty a roll of film!

Last edited:
:LOL: :LOL: I've never thought of that haha. less than 3 seconds to empty a roll of film!

And for that special Canon New F-1 that could shoot at 14 FPS you also need to remember the 22 AA batteries that the motordrive used to achieve that! Must have weighed a bloody ton!

On a boring technical note, many of those cameras had special 250 exposure backs to make better use of their speed. Amazing to watch!

this is the " most of us use digital ,but we like to use film cameras as well bit " maybe you've wandered into the wrong part of the forum

Ah but how many frames do you need to shoot before you payback the difference between a used film slr and a modern dslr?

Just One.... but it has to be a good-one ;)

Digital cameras; after cost of camera, pictures are almost free. You click away until the SD card is full, then stick it on your hard drive. When Chanel 4 catch-up starts getting a bit juddery... you might go through and delete the duffers, and stick the rest onto a 20p DVD. Its essentially costless.

Film Camera; you have a fixed cost over price of the camera of about 30p a picture, for the film & processing. Consequently, tends to get used differently, and more conservatively.

To try out and get the feel for my new D3200, I went and snapped some pics of my daughter's Ice skating lesson; another at a punk gig I was invited to, and then a couple of trips to the park with my kids..... just over a thousand frames.... at 30p a pic... that's the camera paid for innit?

Is it HECK! I'f I'd been using my old Oly4, I would have at most, shot one film of my daughter's skating; one of the Punk-Gig, and the two trips to the park with the kids would be on the same roll of film and that would still be in the camera! And in fact, as there would have been no novelty in using my old Oly4... chances are I wouldn't have taken it at all!

Once wrote an article on the merits of LPG fuel conversion for V8 Range-Rovers; people always muttered about the ecconomics of the stuff, and how using 'half price fuel' the conversion would pay for itself in no time..... If only ecconomics was that simple.

Work Expands to fill the Time Available
Clutter Expands to fill the Space Available
Expendature ALWAYS expands to consume the funds available.
HOBBIES?.... exist to keep you in over-draft!

'Bargains'..... "Ooooh they have a three for two offer on this Shampoo! Its normally £1.79 a bottle, so I've 'saved' almost two quid" NO you have SPENT almost an extra two quid! You do not 'save' by spending.

I have yet to see anything I have taken to the check-out, getting its wallet out and 'paying for itself'....

I have never 'saved' money by 'spending' money.... I have 'saved' money by NOT spending it!

Things RARELY EVER 'Pay for Themselves'... it's kiddology, and we are usually only fooling ourselves to even believe it!

Just enjoy the camera! Its a cool bit of kit, and ought to offer much pleasure, provided you aren't fretting over the mundanity of money!

Why do people come to F&C just to write stuff like this? What purpose does it serve?

I have a superbly capable D7000 and excellent Nikon lenses with it. The "sensible choice", if you will. That doesn't stop an FE2 being my most used 35mm camera. This is my hobby, our hobby, why can't we use and own and shoot what we enjoy - what might not necessarily be the most sensible?

Why do people come to F&C just to write stuff like this? What purpose does it serve?

I have a superbly capable D7000 and excellent Nikon lenses with it. The "sensible choice", if you will. That doesn't stop an FE2 being my most used 35mm camera. This is my hobby, our hobby, why can't we use and own and shoot what we enjoy - what might not necessarily be the most sensible?

Well put Sir.

Plus, everyone knows the smell of fixer on your fingers is as potent as love potion number nine.

norters said:
Well put Sir.

Plus, everyone knows the smell of fixer on your fingers is as potent as love potion number nine.

Roger that Dude...

why can't we use and own and shoot what we enjoy - what might not necessarily be the most sensible?

We can, we do and we all post up some darned good results.

Generally, it's someone who's observing the forum from the front page, a thread catches their eye, and they launch in and post, not always realising that it IS in Film and Conventional... I'm guessing that the member quoted, who's only been a member here for a couple of months, has made very few actual posts in that time may well fit into that category.

Fair enough everyone, we are entitled to be a little defensive of our choices, but can we keep the pitchforks and flaming torches under wraps just for now... :LOL:

Generally, it's someone who's observing the forum from the front page, a thread catches their eye, and they launch in and post, not always realising that it IS in Film and Conventional... I'm guessing that the member quoted, who's only been a member here for a couple of months, has made very few actual posts in that time may well fit into that category.

Fair enough everyone, we are entitled to be a little defensive of our choices, but can we keep the pitchforks and flaming torches under wraps just for now... :LOL:

Normally, I'd agree with you TBY, and I've seen it happen before to people (I recall that is why the new toy thread has the word 'film' in it). But it says Film & Conventional in the same line on the home page, and then when you click through, it's a thread with people talking about a Nikon film camera. It says F&C at the top of the screen, it says it again just below Home/Forums. The subsequent posts (mine!) refer to it being a film camera, prints15's own posts clearly refer to it:

This member knew very well he was in F&C. My pitchfork is not out (no need... everyone knows that isn't the sensible choice... it's old fashioned (y)), but there is absolutely no need to defend someone who posts like that! (especially seeing as almost all of us own digital cameras anyway). After all, the OP owns a D7000 :bonk:

Last edited:
not defending the member in question, or having a specfic pop at anyone, just saying "benefit of the doubt, friendliest forum, at least 3 people have pointed out the location of the post, so can we not just form a circle and kick the new member anymore"

Plus, of course, my posting in the thread might stop the flood of RTM's on the subject - I'm getting updates on this thread, and if there is any action required, then I'll take it, believe me... but at the moment - "benefit of the doubt, blah - blah - blah....."

cheers all... :)

not defending the member in question, or having a specfic pop at anyone, just saying "benefit of the doubt, friendliest forum, at least 3 people have pointed out the location of the post, so can we not just form a circle and kick the new member anymore"

Plus, of course, my posting in the thread might stop the flood of RTM's on the subject - I'm getting updates on this thread, and if there is any action required, then I'll take it, believe me... but at the moment - "benefit of the doubt, blah - blah - blah....."

cheers all... :)

Apologies Mark, if it's causing any stress in the staff room. No harm intended.

don't get me wrong - we encourage RTM's - indeed we need them to ensure that we spot things, but there are occasions when the concensus in the staff room is that there's no real action to be taken - and at that point, largely to save the next person reading the thread from also RTM'ing, one or other of us will post a message, and in the process we sign up to instant updates on the thread to keep an eye on things.

As most of the staff aren't keen on the smell in here, it usually falls to me to do this ;)

don't get me wrong - we encourage RTM's - indeed we need them to ensure that we spot things, but there are occasions when the concensus in the staff room is that there's no real action to be taken - and at that point, largely to save the next person reading the thread from also RTM'ing, one or other of us will post a message, and in the process we sign up to instant updates on the thread to keep an eye on things.

As most of the staff aren't keen on the smell in here, it usually falls to me to do this ;)

Well now and again I don't mind a film ver digital or Canon ver Nikon etc scrap as if it was so boring it would die with no one posting, all you need to do Mark is:- if it gets abusive is to close the thread down for that reason.
All helps to put the postage count up and even might persuade some digital guys to try film with some of the points raised.

Back