Did you know?

S

Steve

Did you know?

We all might learn something but mainly just for fun..

Post one Did you know fact, it can be as random as you like but lets keep this going and make it interesting.

I’ll start with, did you know that the coastline length around mainland Great Britain is 11 072.76 miles?

Didn't know that Steve, but did you know...

A diamond is the hardest natural substance on earth, but if it is placed in an oven and the temperature is raised to about 763 degrees Celsius (1405 degrees Fahrenheit), it will simply vanish, without even ash remaining. Only a little carbon dioxide will have been released.
Diamonds are formed over a period of a billion or more years deep within earth's crust - about 150km (90 miles) deep - and is pushed to the surface by volcanoes. Most diamonds are found in volcanic rock, called Kimberlite, or in the sea after having been carried away by rivers when they were pushed to the surface.
A diamond is 58 times harder than the next hardest mineral on earth, corundum, from which rubies and sapphires are formed. It was only during the 15th century that it was discovered that the only way to cut diamonds was with other diamonds. Yet, diamonds are brittle. If you hit one hard with a hammer, it will shatter

I did actually as I had read that myself about 10 minutes before you posted it, very interesting though :)

Did you know..

A square piece of dry paper cannot be folded in half more than 7 times.

That’s something for everyone to try at home ;)

But did you 2 know, The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache on a standard playing card!

Did you know that cold water will melt an ice cube faster than boiling water will?

Go on, go try it :D

By the way, no ruining this thread by copying and pasting big lists that you have found.
One fact at a time please, form an orderly queueueueueueue.
(After you go and be baffled by my ice cube thing)

Steve said:
I’ll start with, did you know that the coastline length around mainland Great Britain is 11 072.76 miles?
I bet his trundle wheel needed oiling a few times :D

Did you know?

During World War II a cat called Oscar served on the German battleship Bismarck. When the Bismarck was torpedoed Oscar was rescued by a British sailor on board HMS Cossack. Five months later HMS Cossack was sunk but Oscar was rescued by HMS Ark Royal. Only 3 weeks later a German U-boat destroyed Ark Royal and Oscar was rescued again. The naval authorities then decided that Oscar had had enough and posted him on land. According to British naval records, Oscar died peacefully in 1955.

Thats a great fact :D

did you know that the women in fiji wear bathing suits made from seashells, and did you know if you pick one of these women up and hold her to your ear
you can hear her---SCREAM.

sorry could not resist

Did you know that In Virginia, the Code of 1930 has a statute which prohibits corrupt practices or bribery by any person other than political candidates.

In Tunbridge wells, it is COMPULSORY for all men to go and practice archery on a sunday.....

Steve said:
Did you know?

We all might learn something but mainly just for fun..

Post one Did you know fact, it can be as random as you like but lets keep this going and make it interesting.

How come this thread is getting further down the line? Steve wanted to have a little fun with this and keep it going guys. Come on, it's just for fun. Anyway here is a little tid bit for you all.

Did you know.... that it only takes 58 seconds to get to the top of the CN Tower? I'm sure most of you know what the CN Tower is but, for those who don't. It's the world's tallest free standing structure on land, built in 1976, right here in the heart of downtown Toronto. It's 113 stories and again, only takes 58 seconds to get to the top. Cool eh! Did you also know... I don't have any picture's to show you all,lol :p with my new camera that is. sorry:(

Cheers, jewel.

The Morgan's Sphinx Moth from Madagascar has a proboscis (tube mouth) that is 12 to 14 inches long to get the nectar from the bottom of a 12 inch deep orchid discovered by Charles Darwin.

If I was stood at the top of that, and felt the wind blow it a little bit, believe me, it would take much less than 58 seconds for me to get back down :D

Did you know : Mosquito repellant, doesn't actually repel mosquitos, instead it masks / hides our scent.

Speaking of wildlife, did you know...

There are more than a million animal species. There are 6,000 species of reptiles, 73,000 kinds of spiders, and 3,000 types of lice. For each person there is about 200 million insects. The 4,600 kinds of mammals represent a mere 0,3% of animals and the 9000 kinds of birds only 0,7%. The most numerous bird specie is the red-billed quelea of southern Africa. There are an estimated 100 trillion of them.

Did you know that Guiness are the only company to use the widget in bottled draught beer?

Did you know that Nigeria is the third largest market for Guiness worldwide?

Steve said:
Speaking of wildlife, did you know...

There are more than a million animal species. There are 6,000 species of reptiles, 73,000 kinds of spiders, and 3,000 types of lice. For each person there is about 200 million insects. The 4,600 kinds of mammals represent a mere 0,3% of animals and the 9000 kinds of birds only 0,7%. The most numerous bird specie is the red-billed quelea of southern Africa. There are an estimated 100 trillion of them.

And to top it all, there are 50 trazillion permutations of a womans possible mood at any one time.

Honestly, the things we male humans have to put up with.

Has anyone tried my ice cube trick?

Bod said:
And to top it all, there are 50 trazillion permutations of a womans possible mood at any one time.

Honestly, the things we male humans have to put up with.

Has anyone tried my ice cube trick?

It's a tough life eh Bod? :p

So what's the ice cube trick boys? :)

Jewel

jewel said:
It's a tough life eh Bod? :p

So what's the ice cube trick boys? :)

Jewel

Bod said:
Did you know that cold water will melt an ice cube faster than boiling water will?

Isn't this world a fascinating place :)

Did you know, due to the way it's joints work (as in bone joints) a Cow can walk up but not down stairs!!!

I've heard that before. I'd love to know how they found that out though.

"Hmmm, I know, fetch me those steps Dave, I've got an idea....bring Daisy".

Did you know that Wood Pigeons can produce up to three lots of young per year and that they always produce two young which are called 'squabs' ?

Did you know that in an average family car if you drove from landsend to john o groats the amount of fuel you would use would move the QE2 6 metres!

Did you know that a frozen lobster will often come back to life when thawed!
You have been warned!

Gary Bagshawe said:
You have been warned!

ahh but will it come back to life quicker in cold water or hot??:D

Good point.

You could add a couple of ice cubes and have some sort of race.

Gary Bagshawe said:
You have been warned!

Please tell me that's not true Gary! If it is that is very nasty for one, but more importantly cruel. At what expense? Simply for a meal for someone. That's a shame if it is true. I can't stand any seafood anyway, Tuna is as far as I go :)
Jewel

I thought lobster was supposed to be cooked live anyway?

Did you know........

"bizindamowin" means "radio" in the Ojibway language. No, I don't speak Ojibway, just little words I pick up here and there from family members who do.

Jewel

Did you know, when I go out with my brother in law from ireland and drink 8 pints of cider and a bottle of red wine I get grumpy in the morning when the builders start accross the road at 8.00am

Gary Bagshawe said:
Did you know, when I go out with my brother in law from ireland and drink 8 pints of cider and a bottle of red wine I get grumpy in the morning when the builders start accross the road at 8.00am

LOL, didn't know that one Gary, I've never had a hangover so can't relate, sorry :)

Did you know...................that butterflies taste with their feet. Wouldn't that make for an interesting world if people were like that?:p

*now everyone will have an image in their head right?

Jewel

Did you know, the peregrine falcon is the fastest animal on our planet and can reach speeds of up to 200 mph, So very well done to the member on here who got some photographs of them.

Did you know, the song Private Dancer performed by Tina Turner was written by Mark Knopffler of Dire Straits!!! (sorry if there are spelling mistakes there)

i did know that, lol..

did you know that Barry Manilows Mandy was originall called Brandy and was about the drink?

its true i tells ya!

Staying music related..

Did you know that the video to “Never tear us apart” by INXS was shot in Prague and directed by Richard Lowenstein?

Back