Did you know?

Talking of war .....

Did you know why it said to be bad luck to have the third light from a match when lighting a ciggie ?

Its because, when soldiers in the trenches used to light up, the first lit ciggie would attract a snipers attention, on the second he would identify what he looking at, and the third guy getting a light would get shot.

Staying on the war theme.

Did you know that during World War II a cat called Oscar served on the German battleship Bismarck?

When the Bismarck was torpedoed Oscar was rescued by a British sailor on board HMS Cossack. Five months later HMS Cossack was sunk but Oscar was rescued by HMS Ark Royal. Only 3 weeks later a German U-boat destroyed Ark Royal and Oscar was rescued again. The naval authorities then decided that Oscar had had enough and posted him on land.

According to British naval records, Oscar died peacefully in 1955. :)

Did you know
That back in the early seventies in the USA the origins of the internet as we know it today was born from the collages trying to interconnect from one area to another using a protacol known as ARPA net now known as "IP"

I thought that it was borne as a military protocol, so that in the event of one of the communication nodes being attacked and destroyed, then the others could always contact each other.
It was then that it was adopted in education.

Or something like that. I could be wrong, I read it on the net :p

Did you know that ethernet was originally a wireless protocol? it was developed in Hawaii in 1970! and was for something called the Alohanet. Courtesy of the Irony dept that one.

Did you know Sinead O'connor's number one smash hit 'nothing compares' was written by the purple midget himself, prince?

Did you know my screen name is because I allegedly resemble Ben Kingsley?

American D.o.D designed Arpanet in 1969. It was split in the 70's into Milnet (for military use) and Arpanet (for civilian use) they then designed IP to communicate between the two.

Beware the seven layers of the OSI model. That way lies truth and Pain!

daveyuk said:
Did you know
That back in the early seventies in the USA the origins of the internet as we know it today was born from the collages trying to interconnect from one area to another using a protacol known as ARPA net now known as "IP"

Thats not exactly right.

ARPANET was designed in the sixties for the US defence department.
They sent packets using Telnet using the Network control protocol (NCP).
Transfer control protocol (TCP) was introduced in 1977 for cross network connections, and replaced NCP.
This technology was used for telnet and bbs (bulletin boards).
ARPA was not a protocol, it was the Advanced Research Projects Agency who funded the initial project.

In 1978 Internet protocol (IP) was introduced and added to TCP, this took over the routing of messages.
By 1983 every site had to switch to TCP/IP or face the boot from ARPAnet.

The internet or WWW was invented by Tim Berners-Lee a scientist at CERN in 1989 (CERN is the worlds largest particle physics laboratory based in switzerland).
It was designed so that information could be shared across research laboratories using hypertext documents.

Did you know the UK has a small [size=-1]venomous[/size] fish named the 'Weaver fish'.

The Weaver Fish sting can be extremely painful. Death is extremely rare although respiratory failure and gangrene have been reported, following infection. This is a small fish about 15 cm long. It has venomous spines along its dorsal fin.

Treatment
The affected limb or wound should be immersed in water as hot as can be tolerated comfortably for 15 minutes. If this isn't possible, cover the wound with hot flannels which should be changed repeatedly. The venom is deactivated by heat and the intense pain should subside within a few minutes of treatment. Simple painkillers such as paracetamol will also help to relieve the pain, antihistamines may also be helpful.

I have caught these when boat fishing of Wales, the skippers on the boats go into a panic as soon as they see someone catch one.

Back