Didn't think they were about this early?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
No photos from me yet, just a curious question. I got stung by a bumble bee last night, not a small one, it was pretty big. Is it usually this time of year they start to appear?

I've not really been paying attention in the past as to when is the best time to capture certain insects, flies, etc...but I wouldn't have thought we've had the most suitable weather for bumble bees over the past few months. I'm around Aviemore and the Cairngorms, we still have snow and cold weather, in fact I've even just finished teaching my snowboarding class for the day up the hill.

Anyway, I didn't expect to see a bumble bee this time of year with this weather, let alone get stung by one.

Last edited:
No it is early to be seeing them. I saw a honey bee a few weeks ago, alongside a hoverfly when out with a couple of others. We all commented on it being very early to see them.

I only saw individuals though, rather than significant numbers and maybe a couple of warm days encourages some of them out - taking the chance to get an early start ahead of the competition. They may struggle to survive any further cold snaps, but that's the gamble I suppose.

It's more unusual that it stung you! What were you doing to it? ;)

Lol I was just getting the washing in, it was stuck between some clothes and I brushed my arm against it. I thought I just got one of my Yeti hairs stuck in the zip of my kids onsie but when I got inside it started to itch and I saw I small dot, also heard it buzzing in the onsie so I stamped on it since bumble bees die after they lose their sting anyway, otherwise I would have just thrown it back outside.

Now this is going to surprise you. Bumble bees are the only insect that can generate a core temperature and do not rely on the sun for warmth. As such, they are active all year round. I've seen bumble bees in November and December last year, although I didn't see one in Jan 15.

Now this is going to surprise you. Bumble bees are the only insect that can generate a core temperature and do not rely on the sun for warmth. As such, they are active all year round. I've seen bumble bees in November and December last year, although I didn't see one in Jan 15.

Cheers, didn't know that (y)

Now that's really interesting Jeff, you learn something new every day.:)

George.

Depends where you are but often see the odd one on snowdrops or crocus if it's mild and sunny.
Sun is quite strong now really, like early October more or less so they can get warm enough to fly.

Arm is swelling up quite a bit. I've been stung by bees many times but I've never had a reaction like this, in fact I've never had a reaction with any of my stings. Also I've just noticed it's stung me in exactly the same place as a giant hornet sting I have in my other arm that I got 10years ago in Turkey (I have a scar from it lol).

Depends where you are but often see the odd one on snowdrops or crocus if it's mild and sunny.
Sun is quite strong now really, like early October more or less so they can get warm enough to fly.
Good point, there are lot of snowdrops about just now and has been a tad warmer.

Lol this is where I originally meant to post it (y) but for some reason couldn't find this section at the time

Back