Beginner Different types of RAW

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a small GoPro clone from china - sjcam. Obviously not something I use for anything serious but I do carry it clipped on when Scuba diving just incase I see something and don't have my camera with me. One of the things I liked about it is that, as well as 4K vid, it took photos in jpg and RAW. I can't get photoshop or iPhone to recognise the RAW files though. Are there a lot of different RAW file formats? Any idea how I can overcome this?

Someone with greater knowledge will be along, but basically raw isn't a file format - it's the raw data from the sensor. Since different cameras have different sensors your processing/image display software has to have the correct raw convertor to recognise them. I'm not surprised a phone can't display a raw file but it may be you have an older version of PS that needs its raw converter updating. You would need to check that a) you can update it (think PS uses ACR) and b) that there is a version that will read that particular raw (check the camera compatability).

Thanks for the response. Brand new version of PS (on the monthly subscription) and likewise with iPhone - app that can recognise other RAW formats. I will try and update the sjcam firmware but it is frustrating!

Back