Beginner Difficulty with live view

Name
mike crabbe
Edit My Images
Yes
When shooting in live view with my 5d mk 3 why doesn't the rectangle turn green when focused but remains white all the time

It does go green when the focus is locked in LV, but I recall there is a setting for this. Just about to go through my menus to advise appropriately...... stand-by.....;)

OK, I have the following in my Shooting Menu 4: LV Func.

Live View Shoot. Enabled
AF Mode. Live Mode
Grid Display. 3x3
Aspect Ratio. 3:2
Expo Simulation. Enabled
Silent LV Shoot. Mode 1
Metering Timer. 16sec

Note that the autofocus in live view is significantly slower and will not lock unless you are very still (on a tripod). Either you could are perhaps being impatient (It can take several seconds to focus depending upon the lens!), or you are not getting a fixed point to focus on. The slightest movement will occasion the camera to continue hunting in LV.

OK, I have the following in my Shooting Menu 4: LV Func.

Live View Shoot. Enabled
AF Mode. Live Mode
Grid Display. 3x3
Aspect Ratio. 3:2
Expo Simulation. Enabled
Silent LV Shoot. Mode 1
Metering Timer. 16sec

Note that the autofocus in live view is significantly slower and will not lock unless you are very still (on a tripod). Either you could are perhaps being impatient (It can take several seconds to focus depending upon the lens!), or you are not getting a fixed point to focus on. The slightest movement will occasion the camera to continue hunting in LV.

+1. Live view is best used with manual focus. As said^, focus will hunt for several seconds even on a totally stable base.

I (very) occaisionally use LV, but the results are purely for record purposes. I'm shooting birds and when using LV, I'm at 1000mm and struggling. LV allows a more accurate autofocus becasue you can press the magnify button and get a much closer autofocus. First press gives 5x and second press gives 10x. The LV autofocus is contrast detect logic based on what you see on the lcd screen, rather than the true TTL autofocus used normally (this is why it takes much longer).

Thank you for your replies, I was using manual focus, but I now see using AF I get the green rectangle .
I,m trying to taken pictures of a marine fish tank and it's proving very difficult !

Thank you for your replies, I was using manual focus, but I now see using AF I get the green rectangle .
I,m trying to taken pictures of a marine fish tank and it's proving very difficult !

Are you a member on UltimateReef? - there's quite a bit of advice on there.

Back