Digital medium format cameras

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Is anyone shooting on digital medium format cameras at all? What are you using, please?

Yea, started a thread here as seen in the search

I wonder just how many people need a big sensor chip for general photography, other than to brag about theirs being bigger. :naughty::coat:

I wonder just how many people need a big sensor chip for general photography, other than to brag about theirs being bigger. :naughty::coat:

I wonder at what point you actually 'need' anything - when you have a client who demands it?

The medium format sensor really spoils you versus full frame - the colours, dynamic range and ISO - the files are a real pleasure to work with. The whole process of using the Hasselblad camera is far more engaging than the Sony A9.

There is no bragging, only enthusiasm.

I wonder at what point you actually 'need' anything - when you have a client who demands it?

The medium format sensor really spoils you versus full frame - the colours, dynamic range and ISO - the files are a real pleasure to work with. The whole process of using the Hasselblad camera is far more engaging than the Sony A9.

There is no bragging, only enthusiasm.

Even for happy amateurs I think they're quite attractive as there are small and relatively affordable options now. If people have the money to spend then why not? There's nothing wrong with having something that's nice and maybe even overkill for most if you can afford it and enjoy owning and using it. It's not as if this only happens in photography as it happens in just about every interest and walk of life for example people buy expensive cars when a small hatchback will do the job perfectly well.

I think I'd quite like a Hasselblad X1D :D

It's not as if this only happens in photography as it happens in just about every interest and walk of life for example people buy expensive cars when a small hatchback will do the job perfectly well.

I think I'd quite like a Hasselblad X1D :D

So would I, perhaps if I sold my expensive car I could afford one, it's not as though the car is any use for anything these days :/

So would I, perhaps if I sold my expensive car I could afford one, it's not as though the car is any use for anything these days :/

Oh dear.

I've spend more than I'll admit on cars, open two seaters were my thing. There was a time I had three and could happily justify owning all three to myself. Some cars I had were for a time worth more than I paid for them but I never cashed in and instead I always lost a fortune in depreciation in the end. It's not just a man thing as I'm sure women spend on non essentials too in fact an ex of mine collected paintings and if anyone thinks camera gear or even sports cars are expensive just take a look at the art world.

These days I'm happy with an old MX5 and a Hyundai Getz and although I have too many cameras and lenses already I would like that X1D.

Oh dear.

I've spend more than I'll admit on cars, open two seaters were my thing. There was a time I had three and could happily justify owning all three to myself. Some cars I had were for a time worth more than I paid for them but I never cashed in and instead I always lost a fortune in depreciation in the end. It's not just a man thing as I'm sure women spend on non essentials too in fact an ex of mine collected paintings and if anyone thinks camera gear or even sports cars are expensive just take a look at the art world.

These days I'm happy with an old MX5 and a Hyundai Getz and although I have too many cameras and lenses already I would like that X1D.

open two seaters were my thing for about 10 years, MGF and MGTF, great way of throwing money away :) Only ever had one at once though and I've never owned a car that was worth as much by the time I'd driven it home from where I'd bought it :LOL:

Never been a collector of cameras, always exchanged one for another and the most I've owned at 1 time is two (compact and DSLR)

Having said that I'm waiting (im)patiently for the delivery of my first 4x5, a cheaper option than the blad, which will again return me to 2 camera status

I'm waiting (im)patiently for the delivery of my first 4x5, a cheaper option than the blad,
Even at £2 per monochrome shot, that's almost certainly true. :naughty:

Oh dear.

Audi R8 and x1d. I could really get behind this idea for shooting some landscapes. Shame about speed limits on motorways. Lakes could be in reach within 2-3 hours instead of 5 :bang:

Audi R8 and x1d. I could really get behind this idea for shooting some landscapes. Shame about speed limits on motorways. Lakes could be in reach within 2-3 hours instead of 5 :bang:

That's why I'm stuck at home with my Hasselblad, I need a sports car! :D (actually I just need to stop playing games and for this covid thing to be over)

Last edited:
The X1D is the one that I could imagine buying, if I wasn't so tight. I like the design as it could easily be carried and used like a mid range mirrorless on a day out and attract no more attention.

The "problem" with all these systems is the cost of the lenses, especially Hasselblad ones...

The "problem" with all these systems is the cost of the lenses, especially Hasselblad ones...

This is true, but a lot of Canon L Glass gives a large enough image circle and using something like a TechArt Adapter can make a lot of sense.

The Tech Art Adapter plus the Canon TSE 24mm is less than the Fuji GF 23mm, and you get some TS functyions, though not full shift on the larger sensor.

But once you've bought the TechArt, the Pancake 40mm Canon Lens becomes a no brainer

TSE's are big and heavy. I'd start with the XCD 45mm.

This is true, but a lot of Canon L Glass gives a large enough image circle and using something like a TechArt Adapter can make a lot of sense.

The Tech Art Adapter plus the Canon TSE 24mm is less than the Fuji GF 23mm, and you get some TS functyions, though not full shift on the larger sensor.

But once you've bought the TechArt, the Pancake 40mm Canon Lens becomes a no brainer
Ooh I didn't realise that! I happen to have both those Canon lenses you mention so maybe a Fuji/TechArt purchase isn't such a bad idea after all, and it *is* Christmas :D

Ooh I didn't realise that! I happen to have both those Canon lenses you mention so maybe a Fuji/TechArt purchase isn't such a bad idea after all, and it *is* Christmas :D
I mitigated the cost of the Pentax 645 lenses by getting an EOS-645 tilt-shift adapter giving me a bunch of additional T-S focal lengths (even the 645 zooms) on my Canon bodies

I mitigated the cost of the Pentax 645 lenses by getting an EOS-645 tilt-shift adapter giving me a bunch of additional T-S focal lengths (even the 645 zooms) on my Canon bodies

Other than the 28-45 the lenses aren't too bad cost wise on the 645 system. Look at what some of the new 2.8 zooms cost on Z mount Nikons, RF Canons and G master Sony's. Same with the Fuji MF digital system - the glass isn't actually too bad cost wise.

I'm getting itchy finger but need to upgrade my computer first. Mine lags a little with D810 files, yours even going in and out of 100% preview with curves layer off/on caused quite a delay.

I find I'm using fewer lenses and focal lengths these days (though I DO like 12-24 on FF) and wondering whether the jump back to MF would work. OTOH I bought the A7III for eye AF & keeping up with grandchildren, which no MF kit is going to do.

I use the Fuji GFX 50S & absolutely love it - I can say that it has made my work 10 times easier with regards to time saved and prints for clients - the image sooc is pretty much 5x4 format and I sell a lot of 10x8 prints - it's just a small crop and not so much messing around with content aware fill, etc. I shoot a lot of newborns too and being able to get in closer for detail, but still include a lot of the props/surroundings, etc, is very useful.

AF speed when shooting toddlers legging it around the studio isn't anything to write home about, but I won't actually moan about it because I still happily shoot manual focus film cameras so am just spoilt with faster AF on previous cameras I've owned - I manage with the GFX, it would just be easier if it was faster. Hopefully the new body Fuji is releasing in the first quarter of next year will bring the GFX100 focus speed to the new, smaller bodies.

Can I cope with shooting a normal, full or crop frame camera? Yep, I own a few and still use them - would I want to shoot my sessions with them instead of the medium format? Nope, I am happier with my images than I ever have been with any other cameras bar my film medium format cameras (and the original Canon 1D I used to own - brilliant camera and I thoroughly miss it :)

@SFTPhotography if you're anywhere near Liverpool/Wirral once the World stops being so insane, you are very welcome to pop down to have a play with my 50S if you're on the fence about buying one mate (y)

Always fancied a convertible, and having the wind blowing through my hair....
No hair now.... :(
Still fancy one though....

Do it. They are seriously good fun. I have EOS (perhaps to go with my EOS cameras!) and I like to drive with top down as long as its not raining too heavily. No hair to speak of either.

Always fancied a convertible, and having the wind blowing through my hair....
No hair now.... :(
Still fancy one though....

I've had them since I was 21, I started with a rubber bumper Midget. Luckily for me I like the British style ones and they cost less than the more upmarket but IMO less fun German ones. I have a used MX5 now which I've had for such a long time. I did have two new ones but I wanted a Mk2 as I didn't like the new ones (the ones with the big wheel arches) when they came out. I'm even less of a fan of the current ones. The most involving car I've had was an Elise.

Just saw this....o_Oo_Oo_O

Would you do lens changes in the field with one of these though? Best get two with different lenses mounted to cut down on lens changes.

but when you print..................
I'm yet to be convinced that larger sensors or even more pixels make that much difference. Even shots from 6MP APS format cameras can look impressive at A0, when printed properly. I've seen some...

Wildlife photography exhibition at Winslade Park DSC01097.JPG

Of course there are differences but sometimes you have to look closely for them perhaps whilst venturing into the higher ISO's or characteristics of DoF.

I can only speak from my own experience and I do see a difference.
The question is: how objective are you being? The theory of Cognitive Dissonance suggests that, having spent a great deal on cameras and lenses, some individuals will claim to see enhanced qualities that a disinterested individual will not. This is why subjective opinions on image quality are not to be trusted and efforts to provide a universally accepted set of standards for image quality continue.

Might be worth a read...

Back