Digital Medium Format Thread

Since there is no mirror present on the fuji cameras, shutter shock should be minimal. Would have been nice if they had included the option of a few leaf shutter lenses like the LS ones that phase one offer.

But there is a shutter (which is what causes shutter shock).

The X1D has a Mq mode

"Mq mode is a Manual mode where the camera performs as fast and quiet as possible. In this mode, the Shutter is always closed and the Live View is disabled. This mode works best when the X1D Camera is used on a fixed Tripod. "

"Mq mode is more silent due to the fact that the Camera uses less Shutter movements."

also more from the X1D II and XCD 45mm

X1D II - Halloween by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Talking of Fuji MF. A big deal has been made about the IBIS system in the 100Mp camera and how it combats shutter shock (among other things). Does anyone know if the two 50Mp cameras particularly susceptible to shutter shock. Or is this just some marketing hype?

Regards...

I have the 50R and 100 and for my shooting, typically low light, it's a big improvement.

I only got the XCD 45mm to tide me over in my wait.. but it's really grown on me.

So has the shooting at 1/30th second, ISO 3200 and getting clean enough "night-time" images

Look forward to the 'prime quality' 35-75 zoom which comes out, which could be the point I sell the 45mm. I'd also like the 21mm as well.

X1D II - Tree by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some brilliant images in this thread! Loving the cinematic images @dancook

I use the GFX50S for pretty much all of my work now. As I print a lot, the aspect is perfect for my usual printing size and the detail you get out of the files is ridiculous! I can only imagine how the images out of the GFX100 are!

Here's a couple of mine from recent portrait shoots

B1o9Mm6.jpg

jJMGUL7.jpg

9Ydw9n4.jpg

Some brilliant images in this thread! Loving the cinematic images @dancook

I use the GFX50S for pretty much all of my work now. As I print a lot, the aspect is perfect for my usual printing size and the detail you get out of the files is ridiculous! I can only imagine how the images out of the GFX100 are!

Here's a couple of mine from recent portrait shoots

B1o9Mm6.jpg

jJMGUL7.jpg

9Ydw9n4.jpg

very cool :) welcome!

This thread has re-kindled my MF appreciation so the P645Z was taken to Paris CDG this week. A mid-evening shot of the compound containing the runway snow clearance equipment under sodium lighting. A 25 second exposure at f/13 iso100 with a 90mm f/2.8 macro lens.
p3696090103.jpg

Very cool! Is the XPAN a crop mode on the X1D?

Tim's lady on the wall is an intriguing shot.....was it posed or opportunistic?.....very nice either way.

I was in the met office car park at Charles de Gaulle trying to shoot through the fence when a very kind met officer arriving for his shift invited me up their fire escape to get a better view.......

p3697470130.jpg

Tim's lady on the wall is an intriguing shot.....was it posed or opportunistic?.....very nice either way.

I was in the met office car park at Charles de Gaulle trying to shoot through the fence when a very kind met officer arriving for his shift invited me up their fire escape to get a better view.......

p3697470130.jpg
Thanks Bob, lady on the wall is my favorite of the set too. Not posed, too good an image not to take.

I know people will say I'm doing it wrong, but I want to shoot portraits wide open..... few more on flickr

GT Open Mic - Portraits by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

I know people will say I'm doing it wrong, but I want to shoot portraits wide open..... few more on flickr

Works for me Dan. When I (rarely) shoot people it’s always wide open.

I ordered the 80mm 1.9 in July, and it's finally on it's way! A lens I planned to use for portraiture amongst other things - but a couple of weeks ago I bought the 135mm 2.8, and I've been loving it

GT Open Mic Portraits by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Just spotted this thread, some lovely images. It's certainly not helping with the GAS! Been pondering MF Fuji for a while..

What's the score with adapted FF lenses, any vignetting/other issues?

What's the score with adapted FF lenses, any vignetting/other issues?

Well the Hasselblad X1D series have leaf shutters in the lenses, so adapting others lenses (of which I think there's a lot of options) means no mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter has a slow readout so only good for stationary subjects. The Fuji doesn't have leaf shutter, but I don't know more than that about compatibility with adapted lenses.

Quite a lot of Canon EF FF glass has a big enough image circle for the Fuji GFX series cameras, there are tables on the internet as to what works well and what vignettes, there are also adapters that allow AF, eg TechArt. Its certainly worth thinking about especially when the Canon 24mm Tilt Shift and the TechArt adapter costs less than a Fuji GF23mm !!!

That said the Fuji glass is razor sharp, and some of the Canon glass won't be able to resolve well enough for the GFX100

I also understand that quite a bit of Zeiss glass has a large enough image circle as well.

Back