Digital Medium Format Thread

fuji 50r & 100-200mm lens

50430263512_83bb26608b_o.jpg

Revisiting old images - taken on a loan GFX50S+32-64mm

Rat Lambretta
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Question for @dancook - I'm considering buying a Leica Q2, but having just revisited a number of GFX images, I'm just not sure!!! I know you've used both the Leica Q2 and the Hasselbald MF (which has the same sensor as the GFX50's) - I don't have the budget for a Hasselblad - but I'm now torn between a Q2 and a GFX50R/s+lens

Question for @dancook - I'm considering buying a Leica Q2, but having just revisited a number of GFX images, I'm just not sure!!! I know you've used both the Leica Q2 and the Hasselbald MF (which has the same sensor as the GFX50's) - I don't have the budget for a Hasselblad - but I'm now torn between a Q2 and a GFX50R/s+lens

For me the Q2 offers itself an ideal street / documentary camera,

I did run Q2 + X1D II 80/135, but I'm likely to get the Leica Q2 Monochrom now that I have a wide lens for high quality colour photography with the Hasselblad (x907 now).

So digital medium format for the slower but supreme quality
Leica Q2 for documentary and street (or family for those who have)

For me the Q2 offers itself an ideal street / documentary camera,

I did run Q2 + X1D II 80/135, but I'm likely to get the Leica Q2 Monochrom now that I have a wide lens for high quality colour photography with the Hasselblad (x907 now).

So digital medium format for the slower but supreme quality
Leica Q2 for documentary and street (or family for those who have)

Dan, thanks, I already have a Fuji X100F, plus an X-H1 and MF film, so I think I need to have a good think about usage, I want to get it right!

Last edited:
My 28-45 arrived today. Seems lovely and although heavy balances ok on my Manfroto 190. I actually like the size, the deep grip, massive OVF. Whilst the Fuji stuff is amazing I feel this was a better choice, for me. I just like DSLRs. Hand holding it really isn't an option though - it is just a bit too heavy - but that's fine I never really do hand hold shooting.

Took some test shots with it in the house, got the camera set up the way I like

AF for back focus - shutter only for firing the shutter, got the display back options showing all the RGB histograms and my two tripod plates attached. Good news is the Manfrotto 190 takes the weight fine and it all fits in my current bags very nicely. Shots seem disgustingly sharp all over with this lens. Both card slots set to write RAW. I'll be using DxO photo Lab or On1 RAW to process.

Not sharing any pics they are bad but prove the point that it works and camera is going to work for in the field.

Next purchase, the 45-85 and that's me, and maybe a spare body if wex drop the prices a bit more.

The camera won't be used until the summer where it will be used heavily. Not going for a longer lens for this system - might just get a D850 and pair that with my 70-200 2.8 if I need more reach for landscapes. The field of view offered by the 28-45 and 45-85 will cover all that I need - and I never shoot anything other than stopped down - with F13-F16 onward probably being my to go to F stop to get good front to back sharpness with this system

Last edited:
Back