Digital Medium Format Thread

thinking about 100S?

Always thinking, I haven't 'bought' a 50S - that was a loaner for a couple of weeks. The more I re-visit the images from the 50S, the more I like the sensor output and the 4:3 aspect ratio would suit me as well, but I've also been getting some good results from MF film (Fuji GA645 and Fuji GSW690III) where the negative size is starting to make the GFX sensor look tiny!!!!

Its a question of priorities and ££££ .... as always

TBH as a 50S shooter I don't see the benefit of the 100S, the IQ of my 50S is plenty for me and the lack of some of the flexibility of the 50S compared to the 100S leaves me cold.

In theory, it should have more DR and has 16bit RAW option, also I think IBIS would be a help as I found with the 50S (in March light), I was having to bump the ISO to use handheld and I felt ISO1600 was quite noisy (old sensor tech), although it was recoverable in post.

Im just -thinking- at this stage and either is an option

someone local to me has a 50S plus tillable EVF, Kirk L-bracket and a couple of extra batteries for £2750 - quite tempting

In theory, it should have more DR and has 16bit RAW option, also I think IBIS would be a help as I found with the 50S (in March light), I was having to bump the ISO to use handheld and I felt ISO1600 was quite noisy (old sensor tech), although it was recoverable in post.

Im just -thinking- at this stage and either is an option

someone local to me has a 50S plus tillable EVF, Kirk L-bracket and a couple of extra batteries for £2750 - quite tempting

I very rarely use my GFX handheld but if I do I'm not concerned to raise the ISO a couple of stops to get a stable shutter speed, don't think I would go as far as 1600 though. The vast majority of my GFX shooting is on a tripod (landscapes) so shutter speeds aren't an issue and I find the tilting EVF fantastic in these situations I also have the original (now discontinued I believe) RRS L-Bracket so if that kit local to you is that good a price I'd be extremely tempted.

Ooops

vjioZtEh.jpg

I got a really good deal on an ex-demo 50S with Tilt EVF Adapter, has full Fujifilm 24 month warranty

Sensor is mint - you're going to love it and without the on sensor PDAF no banding/stripes on the image. I checked your website - you're going to love this camera and it will be perfect for your photography.

Lenses - what you gonna go for? Primes or zooms?

Sensor is mint - you're going to love it and without the on sensor PDAF no banding/stripes on the image. I checked your website - you're going to love this camera and it will be perfect for your photography.

Lenses - what you gonna go for? Primes or zooms?

I'm going to build a Prime based system - most of my shooting is at 24mm (FF) and 35mm (FF), with rare forays into longer focal lengths, so it make sense to start with the GF30mm and GF45mm, these are quite (relatively) light as well. If I feel the need I might look at a longer focal length, and I don't have a desire to shoot wider than 24mm, and I can always stitch if I need to. I also don't like carrying lots of heavy gear, so I want lightweight options, if anything MF could be considered lightweight.

I've not sold anything to purchase the GFX, so I'm retaining my X-H1 + 16-55 F2.8 and 50-140 F2.8 and my X100F - for when I want to travel ultra light

I've used a GFX50S before for a 2 week loan, and on a couple of touch'n'try days, so I have some familiarity with the sensor in real world conditions. I shoot a lot of 5:4 and here the 4:3 aspect ratio helps, as I 'waste' less sensor in cropping.

Trevor, it really was an itch that wouldn't go away, so I had to scratch :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to put a plug in here for Cambrian Photography, I deal with Sarah there, the shop owner, and she worked hard to put together a package together that suited me both in terms of shooting requirements and in terms of budget. Definitely recommended for anyone who has a GFX itch.

I'm going to build a Prime based system - most of my shooting is at 24mm (FF) and 35mm (FF), with rare forays into longer focal lengths, so it make sense to start with the GF30mm and GF45mm, these are quite (relatively) light as well. If I feel the need I might look at a longer focal length, and I don't have a desire to shoot wider than 24mm, and I can always stitch if I need to. I also don't like carrying lots of heavy gear, so I want lightweight options, if anything MF could be considered lightweight.

I've not sold anything to purchase the GFX, so I'm retaining my X-H1 + 16-55 F2.8 and 50-140 F2.8 and my X100F - for when I want to travel ultra light

I've used a GFX50S before for a 2 week loan, and on a couple of touch'n'try days, so I have some familiarity with the sensor in real world conditions. I shoot a lot of 5:4 and here the 4:3 aspect ratio helps, as I 'waste' less sensor in cropping.

Trevor, it really was an itch that wouldn't go away, so I had to scratch :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to put a plug in here for Cambrian Photography, I deal with Sarah there, the shop owner, and she worked hard to put together a package together that suited me both in terms of shooting requirements and in terms of budget. Definitely recommended for anyone who has a GFX itch.
Welcome to the GFX fold, you'll enjoy and will wonder how you got by without that tilt adaptor, I certainly do.

@Mr Perceptive funnily enough I was drawn to the 4:3 sensor - I found I cropped a lot of my 35mm stuff to 4:3, 5:4 or square. It's a more pleasing aspect ratio than 3:2 -and especially in portrait.

The two lenses you mentioned are superb from what I read. I myself would be very interest in the 23mm, 30mm, and 45-100 and 100-200 zooms if I was in that system.

I myself would be very interest in the 23mm, 30mm, and 45-100 and 100-200 zooms if I was in that system.

You will be when you upgrade to a 100S because Pentax don't go for the 100MP sensor :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

In the last few years I've stopped shooting UWA, I much prefer the area in the 24-35 band (FF), wider can produce a dramatic image, but long term they just don't hold my attention enough. The only time I've missed wider has been in a tight (can't move backwards) cityscape.

For the moment I'm staying away from the heavy primes and the zooms, because of the weight, its very easy for my bag to become very heavy, and I'm just too old (and fat!) for that these days, though I can often get my son to carry some equipment!!!!

You will be when you upgrade to a 100S because Pentax don't go for the 100MP sensor :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

In the last few years I've stopped shooting UWA, I much prefer the area in the 24-35 band (FF), wider can produce a dramatic image, but long term they just don't hold my attention enough. The only time I've missed wider has been in a tight (can't move backwards) cityscape.

For the moment I'm staying away from the heavy primes and the zooms, because of the weight, its very easy for my bag to become very heavy, and I'm just too old (and fat!) for that these days, though I can often get my son to carry some equipment!!!!

You see - I think they will go for it. Body frame is there - relatively cheap upgrade for them to implement. Stick the AF module in from the K1 mk2 camera - bigger buffer and job done. The lenses are there and it would be quite a unique prospect for wealthy enthusiasts. A lot of love exists for SLRs - and that's why I went for the 645z over the Fuji - I just prefer the form and methodology of using the camera. Pentax have a huge history of MF camera's - no reason to stop now. If they do go for the 100mp - I just hope they don't put the phase detect pixels on the sensor - to avoid that awful striping and banding. They might even develop a BSI sensor around the pixel pitch of the Nikon D850 chip - making 80mp or so. Who knows.

Pentax release products at a glacial rate. Small company juggling MF, FF and APSC plus the Ricoh GR cameras. Fuji just make APSC and MF, Nikon, Sony, Canon only make FF and APSC. So in this sense Pentax have a share in every segment of the digital camera market.

The 28-45 zoom I have is very heavy, the older 28-45 and 80-160 are very light and balance well on the camera. The 28-45 makes it feel a bit front heavy but on a tripod it is solid.

Where I live - Glencoe area - a FL on 35mm of 20mm can be very striking and natural - but too often it's to wide to be natural and the most pleasing field of view comes from around the 28-50mm (on 35mm) range.

Last edited:

Have to be honest, my lenses are 23mm, 32-64mm and 100-200mm all for landscape really though if Fuji come out with a WA Zoom say 18-32mm range I would be up for that but would sacrifice my 23 for the privilege, my bag already weighs around 40lbs as it is without tripod (though I do pack my X-T2s with 10-24, 16-55 and 50-140 as well).

To be fair I'm only carrying that lot to keep in shape for a future project, I never take the GFX out of the bag on my photohikes just stop and hand hold the X-T2 but that will change once we are allowed out to play more freely in the future.

Have to be honest, my lenses are 23mm, 32-64mm and 100-200mm all for landscape really though if Fuji come out with a WA Zoom say 18-32mm range I would be up for that but would sacrifice my 23 for the privilege, my bag already weighs around 40lbs as it is without tripod (though I do pack my X-T2s with 10-24, 16-55 and 50-140 as well).

To be fair I'm only carrying that lot to keep in shape for a future project, I never take the GFX out of the bag on my photohikes just stop and hand hold the X-T2 but that will change once we are allowed out to play more freely in the future.

Rumours of a 20-32 zoom in first half of this year

Rumours of a 20-32 zoom in first half of this year

That will please a lot of landscapers and give a good 3 lens system.

20-32
32-64
100-200

From most landscapes that covers 99% of all the field of view you'd ever need. Most landscapers have 2 bodies. It's expensive but not so much over a trinity of 2.8 zooms and top tier FF bodies.

That will please a lot of landscapers and give a good 3 lens system.

20-32
32-64
100-200

From most landscapes that covers 99% of all the field of view you'd ever need. Most landscapers have 2 bodies. It's expensive but not so much over a trinity of 2.8 zooms and top tier FF bodies.
It will please me and that will be my trinity. (y) (y)

I just got rid of a Bronica body because I waited such a long time for the likes of Jobo to bring out a digital back that never materialised.
I love the images from the old 645 format but I think most of it was down to the quality of those huge Zeiss lenses :)

Back