Digital Medium Format Thread

The ISO12800 looks significantly better (colours, shadow detail) to me. (y)
Thanks Toni. I expect it’s a consequence of really pushing the exposure in post. (ISO2500) The white balance change may also have an impact on colours.

Crazy Fuji GFX prices.
It seems that Fuji are clearing the decks for a new GFX 100s. Prices for a new one are currently discounted to £3779. Some of the retailers appear to have been caught out by this and are still offering s/h ones at more than this.
If your main interest is landscapes and not video then I cant see what a new model will offer.
I get the feeling that early 2024 will be interesting with new offerings from the big names.

Crazy Fuji GFX prices.
It seems that Fuji are clearing the decks for a new GFX 100s. Prices for a new one are currently discounted to £3779. Some of the retailers appear to have been caught out by this and are still offering s/h ones at more than this.
If your main interest is landscapes and not video then I cant see what a new model will offer.
I get the feeling that early 2024 will be interesting with new offerings from the big names.
Erm the new model has been out for a while.

Erm the new model has been out for a while.
The new one is not a replacement for the 100S, it’s a replacement for the original 100

Every now and again Fuji have big discounts on the GFX bodies to attract people into the system - that along with a lens Cashback/discount often persuades people to change - the reality now is that with second user lens prices dropping - the 23, 30, 45, 50, 63, 32-64 and 35-70 can all be had for less than the grand (each!!) means that it has never been cheaper to get on board.

If you can live with the available lens selection, ponderous AF (compared to FF) and the bulk then it’s an excellent system. But like all camera systems it has its drawbacks, it’s not for everyone.

The new one is not a replacement for the 100S, it’s a replacement for the original 100

Every now and again Fuji have big discounts on the GFX bodies to attract people into the system - that along with a lens Cashback/discount often persuades people to change - the reality now is that with second user lens prices dropping - the 23, 30, 45, 50, 63, 32-64 and 35-70 can all be had for less than the grand (each!!) means that it has never been cheaper to get on board.

If you can live with the available lens selection, ponderous AF (compared to FF) and the bulk then it’s an excellent system. But like all camera systems it has its drawbacks, it’s not for everyone.
A fuji rep told me the 100 II will be the only 100 variant, dropping the 50S II, 100 and 100S by end of next year apparently, all down to manufacturing costs.

Happy New Year, wishing everyone a great start to 2024!

full

Morning all,

I've had a bit of a hiatus from medium format following the demise of my Hasselblad X1D.... I've been looking at re-entering the MF fold, however was unsure about going for the X series system again, and seeing the huge improvements of the X2D, it made the X1D and all it's operational issues much less appealing.

Simultaneously, I have been moving away from sport photography, and just before Christmas took the plunge and traded a load of Nikon gear against...... the Fujifilm GFX 100, 110 f/2 and 45 f/2.8.

I've shot the camera twice, once for family stuff at Christmas, and the second time, away in Sri Lanka.

I have to say, it's an incredible piece of kit, especially in usability compared to the X1D. The phase detect AF, along with eye/face detection while not as hot as the 35mm offerings, is incredible for a MF camera system.
So far, I love the system and how affordable it is. I do miss the build quality of the X series (and the fact it's a blad) but... overall, the GFX 100 series of camera's are imo superb value for money.

Sri Lanka 2023 by Hawaii Photos, on Flickr

Morning all,

I've had a bit of a hiatus from medium format following the demise of my Hasselblad X1D.... I've been looking at re-entering the MF fold, however was unsure about going for the X series system again, and seeing the huge improvements of the X2D, it made the X1D and all it's operational issues much less appealing.

Simultaneously, I have been moving away from sport photography, and just before Christmas took the plunge and traded a load of Nikon gear against...... the Fujifilm GFX 100, 110 f/2 and 45 f/2.8.

I've shot the camera twice, once for family stuff at Christmas, and the second time, away in Sri Lanka.

I have to say, it's an incredible piece of kit, especially in usability compared to the X1D. The phase detect AF, along with eye/face detection while not as hot as the 35mm offerings, is incredible for a MF camera system.
So far, I love the system and how affordable it is. I do miss the build quality of the X series (and the fact it's a blad) but... overall, the GFX 100 series of camera's are imo superb value for money.

Welcome to the other side :) I made the switch a few years ago and haven’t looked back. A friend here has recently taken the plunge with X2D and we will go on a photowalk shootout in the next few weeks to see for ourselves how they compare.

Welcome to the other side :) I made the switch a few years ago and haven’t looked back. A friend here has recently taken the plunge with X2D and we will go on a photowalk shootout in the next few weeks to see for ourselves how they compare.
Thanks @TimHughes - the gfx feels a lot more polished/ finished - super happy with the camera

HMMMMM!!! I really like using the Hasselblad H series I have however looking through this thread I am so down to the Fuji GFX system as well, especially as the original GFX 50s body now is very affordable. :thinking:

No no no must resist......

(opens a couple of web ages to places that sell used camera gear)

HMMMMM!!! I really like using the Hasselblad H series I have however looking through this thread I am so down to the Fuji GFX system as well, especially as the original GFX 50s body now is very affordable. :thinking:

I had the x1d, but the af was really poor. The gfx 50s uses the same type of af, if you can, stretch to the gfx 100 as the af is vastly improved

I had the H3DII and I enjoyed shooting with it a lot.

@toohuge :ROFLMAO: Stop trying to tempt me, I have seen the prices of the 100Mb Fujis steadily fall (least here in the UK) over the past couple of years, suppose I can always run 2 MF systems :thinking::ROFLMAO:

@TimHughes Mine is also a H3DII and I am really liking the images from it and thoroughly enjoy using it.

@toohuge :ROFLMAO: Stop trying to tempt me, I have seen the prices of the 100Mb Fujis steadily fall (least here in the UK) over the past couple of years, suppose I can always run 2 MF systems :thinking::ROFLMAO:

@TimHughes Mine is also a H3DII and I am really liking the images from it and thoroughly enjoy using it.

Happy to take offers on my 50s ii in the classifieds at the moment.

It's a wonderful camera and system but sadly I haven't used it half as much as I would like to and find it just sat there. I keep popping back to this thread for inspiration.

Happy to take offers on my 50s ii in the classifieds at the moment.

It's a wonderful camera and system but sadly I haven't used it half as much as I would like to and find it just sat there. I keep popping back to this thread for inspiration.

Yes, I had seen that in the Classified but alas, at the moment I am not in position to acquire more gear :(

Good luck with the sale.

Hmmmm, would possibly look better on the 55mm? Haha, I joke of course but seeing these lovely photos in this thread make me question the decision now the 50sii has gone. Ha. Still enjoy viewing the images from them.

You could always buy a GFX50S or 50R and still have £££ left! Seems a shame not to put those lenses to use :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You could always buy a GFX50S or 50R and still have £££ left! Seems a shame not to put those lenses to use :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Haha no I am definitely out of the system sadly. For my uses, it's just not the right one for me. The two lenses I have are possibly the best (IMO) for the system. Absolutely stunning.

No just have lots of options on the table…..
Same, waiting to hear back about a possible large contract which would mean moving back to Sony, that doesn't thrill me but the £££ will ease the pain somewhat.

I'm still musing, its on my radar, but not a 'need' just a 'want' and I have lots of other things tugging at my purse strings..........................

I totally get that. Well I won't be trading it in and have no rush to sell so I am sure it will be here a while yet.

Meanwhile, this thread isn't helping. Some lovely photos.

Back