Dilemma - advise please

Is 50-50 reasonable? Well, imagine that each picture sold for £100. You give him a file and he gets it printed and mounted and displayed in his restaurant. It eventually sells and he gives you £50.... That sounds OK. Would you be happy selling a digital file privately for £50?

If he's doing the printing and mounting on the cheap, say for £20 a picture, he is "only" making £30 for himself.

Now, to your proposal for an 80-20 split, with you to provide a more quality print and framed job. Say that cost you £40. Once it sells for £100 you pay him £20, and you get £80. When you deduct the £40 for printing and framing, you're left with £40. So you would be worse off than a 50-50 split and have had all the additional work and time and possibly petrol consumption for organising printing and framing! ...

Brilliant - you've got yourself a gallery. Now how do you make it work to the best of your advantage.
50/50 is better than nothing, especially as he's paid out for printing and framing but you need to control the quality of your work. Your friend wants to control the aesthetic look of his restaurant as his branding.
So why not have a large selection of your prints, mounted yet not framed, in different sizes for the punters to look at whilst they eat/wait for the food. He can keep his B&W print on the wall, you control quality and colour and then come to an agreement about the split.

Maybe I've missed this, but the OP owns the copyright, so regardless of what his 'friend' thinks or wants to do (print the photos himself) it's ultimately the OPs decision.

If this is how his 'friend' wants to behave, find another one!

Thanks for the advise. I’m yet to speak to him. The issue I have with him printing and framing the images is that they’re rubbish especially the print quality. Now, if I want images to be displayed I still want them to look good on the wall. These images don’t particularly look good. He thinks they look amazing. I obviously disagree. I will be speaking with him hopefully in the next couple of days when I see him.

That's great. Don't forget he has an image for his restaurant/gallery.
Work on different prints, ones for you to sell, ones for his to display. You've got a great opportunity here that could work for both of you.

Ravinder - I hope you stood your ground. Sounds like your friend is on the take, and taking advantage of the time you've already provided. You've provided images to him, at his request, he has printed them to a quality not up to yours. Some of the recommendations above sound good - if the 'friend' has printed and framed the photo at his expense, and the customer choses the photo off the wall then would a proportion of the 'profit' favour you?, if you've accepted this arrangement, move on quickly. If on the other hand you had printed and framed the photograph then 80:20 in your favour is generous for them.

As someone says, friendship and business don't always mix

Sadly it sounds like a no win situation.
All you can do is tell him exactly what you want and speak straight about it.

Seems to me many non photographers don't have a clue about copyright, I've known people who have been supplied with an original file they then think they can make as many copies as they like and sell them on to third parties! And I know you say he's a friend but how do you know he will tell you
or give you your share everytime a print is sold. I know you say he's a friend but there are friends and friends, I would trust my best friend with my life, many other "friends" I'm not so sure. Business seems to make people think they can act how they see fit, beware!
good luck
cheers

Thanks for the messages.

I haven’t spoke to him yet! I text him a few weeks ago but haven’t heard back. He is very busy at this time of year. He owns three restaurants so he will be flat out. I will see him in the new year once he has some time. I’ve decided anyway...that I won’t be selling any of those images in his restaurant nor do I want him to promote them for me. As far as I’m concerned, those pictures are just for him to display in that restaurant only. It’s almost like a gift from me to him. I won’t supply any more of my own pictures, however if he wants some images of the local area, then I’ll happily take those for him and produce him those. I will not really promote those pictures for myself, however as it’s not really my style.

Back