Dilemna

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm an overworked copier/printer engineer who covers the whole of the North of Scotland single-handedly.

I've worked my tripes off since I joined the company in January and because of the workload, haven't been able to take my remaining 14 days holidays owed.

My immediate manager is trying to wangle a deal with the M.D as we have an account with Sangers and I can get Canon stuff trade price.

If it comes off, I will have aprox £700 to spend on trade price Canon gear.

What would you spend the dosh on?
I'm considering the 17-40 L lens and a 580EX Flash to complement the 350d, kit lens, nifty fifty and 75-300 USM MkII

I can add dosh to it if this comes off.
Should I go for a 20d?

I like doing landscape stuff and also want to do more indoor work, especially with a baby on the way in Feb.

I feel like a tramp locked in a wine cellar overnight :ponders:

For me there is no dilemma, for landscapes the 17-40 is superb, for the new baby a 580 flash will fill in a big gap...and the 350d will take very high quality pics virtually identical to the 20D in the right hands.

Why change a great camera for something that is arguably better but miss out on a range (lens wise) that you require and the versatility of shooting and getting great results in otherwise difficult lighting conditions by adding in a 580 flash?

Thanks Steve :thumb:
It was a serious question BTW, not an 'I can get some nice new toys' post, which I cringed at when I revisted it :shock:
I have a long wishlist, most of which I'll probably never see in my lifetime.

I would like a 20d and it would be some time before I get an opportunity like this again, but I am so happy with the 350d and feel that with the right accessories it would be a stonking setup.

What I would like (a 1d or 1ds) and what I 'need' are 2 seperate issues.
I could also really use a good walkabout lens as I have ugly gaps in my coverage range but again, this is my only shot for a while at getting a decent L lens, not because it has an L in the name but because it would suit my requirements perfectly considering the type of work I like to do.
I may have to make a pretty swift decision (Monday)

PS: Apologies for being a little inactive of late, been working too hard and haven't picked the camera up in 2 weeks :shock:

Bachs said:
Thanks Steve :thumb:
It was a serious question BTW, not an 'I can get some nice new toys' post, which I cringed at when I revisted it :shock:
I have a long wishlist, most of which I'll probably never see in my lifetime.

I didn't take it any other way than seriously mate. I also understand the situation where we all want better equipment but in your circumstances I would definately add to your kit rather than change it up to something where the results may not be any different.

You could be filling range gaps and adding in equipment to really widen your photography and bring you lots of enjoyment from what you have. Don't fall for the "my camera is better than yours" draw...its the photographer that works the wonders, the camera is just a tool in the process and the 350d is a great tool ;)

Bachs said:
PS: Apologies for being a little inactive of late, been working too hard and haven't picked the camera up in 2 weeks :shock:

No worries mate, you know that you and everyone else are always welcome here and your help and advice is great whenever you can spare time to give it.

I myself have been very busy recently and will remain so for the next few weeks at least, that has made me much less active than usual but its unavoidible.

Go for the 17-40L rather than the 20D. That's an EF rather than EF-S lens so will fit the full frame 1 series when you can afford it. :)

It's the lenses which take the time and the real money to build up, which dramatically extend your potential as a photographer, and which will have a more serious impact on the quality of your shots than any new camera, particularly if you go for the better glass. As your cameras change in the years to come, the glass will still be there, and when you've accrued a few good lenses, the cost of a body, even an expensive one, pales in proportion to the value of those lenses, which also retain their value when the value of the body plummets with the arrival of the latest new model.

A DSLR camera body is just a starting point to getting into a system - why change your body when you have holes in your lens range that need filling?

Get the 17-40L - I'd get Canon L glass every time, and the 580EX is simply superb. :icon_cool

What about a budget home studio light setup..... a new area to learn plus perfect excuse with baby on the way & with winter on its way, you can be snug & warm at home ;)

Its looking like 50% camera gear, 50% cash.
My wifes' car failed its MOT with £250 of work needed so it looks like everyone will be happy. I'll be getting the 580EX Flash Gun.
The L lens slips my grip once again :censored:

Not too bad - at least your getting the "L" of flashguns :)

Back