Ding Dong my D700 is dead (it lives again!!!)

TCR4x4

Wishes he had a couple more Inches
Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Was having a lovely night out shooting a sunset. I went to change lenses as a herd of deer had gathered at the fence line and the lens wouldnt come off.

I struggled with it for a bit and managed to get it off. I put the new lens on and then noticed ERR flashing on the top LCD, and then it just faded out.
Now the top LCD is blank and the camera is an expensive brick. :thumbsdown:

Ive tried taking the battery out, new battery, cleaning lens contacts etc, but still nothing.

Looks like its kaput and I really cant afford a repair bill right now. :crying:

Last edited:
Odd that the lens wouldn't come off.

I had a similar issue with my D300, although it wasn't through changing lenses and there was no err message that I saw,, it simply failed to switch on one day.

It was a component failure, some sort of circuit board. It might be worth sending it to Nikon anyway as they will provide a quote so at least you'd know what sort of cost you could be facing. It was £350 to fix the D300 which might give you a rough idea.

Hope you get something sorted :)

Any chance of rain entering and needs to dry out?

that's not great news :(
hope Nikon can sort it out for you, I've found the customer service manager really very helpful at Nikon - I'll pm you his direct email address
x

It wasnt raining, so not that. Its a bit odd how it literally just faded away.

I shall contact Nikon, but Im not holding much hope for a cheap quote.

This body isnt registered with NPS either, just to rub it in a bit more.

Cheers Maria, I shall email him with fingers and everyhting else crossed.

I've not had much luck with kit today either, fitted my 50mm lens earlier took a few shots, then wondered why they were out of focus, it was because the lens will only focus 3ft to infinity. Second time it has done that, rubbish. Then a bird pooed on my camera bag :(

I'm sure someone else had the same issue. Have vague memories of it. Also try fixation. They're pretty good and might be cheaper than nikon themselves.

Could try leaving the battery out and just a body cap on til the morning? Might have magically mended itself over night :)

I'm sure someone else had the same issue. Have vague memories of it. Also try fixation. They're pretty good and might be cheaper than nikon themselves.

Could try leaving the battery out and just a body cap on til the morning? Might have magically mended itself over night :)

Yeah Im hoping that'll work. I'll try it in the morning and pray it springs into life.

If that doesn't work slap it on the back and swear you'll replace it with a sony ;)

If that doesn't work slap it on the back and swear you'll replace it with a sony ;)

But it knows that would be a shallow attempt at bringing it back to life and hold no truth.

However if I show it a picture of a bin and then of a nice new D4, it might get the message!

Would your insurance allow you to make a claim for it?

gman said:
Would your insurance allow you to make a claim for it?

I don't have specific camera insurance anymore. It's listed on my home insurance but I'd need to look into the details, and try and convince the wife.

Maybe if I accidentally drop it in a minute.

How old is it and how many actuations? As it is a £1500/£2000 camera I'd expect it to work perfectly for a reasonable time. I'd potentially hassle nikon for a very reduced if not free repair.

They have an Facebook page you could ask them about it on. Might make up for the earlier PR blunder about it's only the camera that makes the good photograph :)

srichards said:
How old is it and how many actuations? As it is a £1500/£2000 camera I'd expect it to work perfectly for a reasonable time. I'd potentially hassle nikon for a very reduced if not free repair.

They have an Facebook page you could ask them about it on. Might make up for the earlier PR blunder about it's only the camera that makes the good photograph :)

I bought it used last year or the year before,, not sure how long the previous guy had it for, although i think i might have the original receipt in the box. It's about 50k on the shutter I think, so not exactly knackered.

I don't have specific camera insurance anymore. It's listed on my home insurance but I'd need to look into the details, and try and convince the wife.

Maybe if I accidentally drop it in a minute.

Probably worth weighing up any increase in premium against a personal repair bill. 50K shutter clicks is low, I think as mentioned some contact with Nikon would be a good call. Best of luck :)

Sorry to hear that,what lens was it ?

A few years ago,one of my lens got jammed on my F5,i had knocked the lens in my bag,when i got it off,the camera died nothing,it turn out the hold mirror box had jammed.

:(

Craikeybaby said:
I've not had much luck with kit today either, fitted my 50mm lens earlier took a few shots, then wondered why they were out of focus, it was because the lens will only focus 3ft to infinity. Second time it has done that, rubbish. Then a bird pooed on my camera bag :(

Can you give me Wednesday's lottery numbers please lol

On a serious note, I hope the camera foibles are fixed soon :)

simonblue said:
Sorry to hear that,what lens was it ?

A few years ago,one of my lens got jammed on my F5,i had knocked the lens in my bag,when i got it off,the camera died nothing,it turn out the hold mirror box had jammed.

:(

Was the 16-35 that got stuck. I'd been using it fine for last two hours and didn't knock it or anything.

Very strange.

I'll sort it out on Monday.

Was the 16-35 that got stuck. I'd been using it fine for last two hours and didn't knock it or anything.

Very strange.

I'll sort it out on Monday.

Very odd,hope it go well :)

Might be worth getting the lens checked as well ?

Last edited:
Thats real bad luck Tom, hope you get it sorted out at a reasonable rate. Be interesting to find out what the cause was. I've only ever had an ERR80 message once on a 7D and that was scary enough. Fortunately it cleared with a removal and reinsertion of the batteries. Good luck for tomorrow.

Just checked the EXIF of the very last photo I took yesterday and its image number 27447!

Hardly even run in, and a lot less than I thought the camera had done.

Think there is a small internal battery, will discharge after about 48 hours without the main battery in.

Well I'll leave it over night again without a battery, but I can't see it helping. The whole thing is dead, no sign of life at all.

I've fired off a slightly bum licking email to the guy Maria mentioned. Hopefully he'll take pity!

Well I'll leave it over night again without a battery, but I can't see it helping. The whole thing is dead, no sign of life at all.

I've fired off a slightly bum licking email to the guy Maria mentioned. Hopefully he'll take pity!

I'm sure he'll feel your pain mate, we all do :crying:
Hopefully its an easy fix, will be interested to see what the problem is, because it's on my to buy list
All the best, let us know how you get on (y)

Think there is a small internal battery, will discharge after about 48 hours without the main battery in.

There is - it powers the clock (page 40 of manual)

Well I'll leave it over night again without a battery, but I can't see it helping. ...

Tom - if you can find one in a local shop it might be worth trying to power it up with an EH-5 or EH-5a AC adapter.

Thing is the ERR issue came and went. Now its just nothing, so I dont know if there is another issue there. Certainly sounds to me like some sort of power failure in one of the boards.
My only local shops are Jessops and LCE, neither of which will have a EH-5 I wouldnt think.
Jessops dont even have a D700, so its unlikely.

I had the exact same issue with my D700. It had the Err and then would do nothing. From what I remember I got home, cleaned the contacts, took battery out recharged and back in and it started working and has been fine ever since - that was about 2 years ago.

Used this info https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com...d/14027/p/19,823,677/c/241/kw/Err/r_id/150284

HTH

edit to add - sorry have just properly read your original message and you have done similar already. Hope you get it sorted

Last edited:
shutterbug08 said:
I had the exact same issue with my D700. It had the Err and then would do nothing. From what I remember I got home, cleaned the contacts, took battery out recharged and back in and it started working and has been fine ever since - that was about 2 years ago.

Used this info https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14027/p/19%2C823%2C677/c/241/kw/Err/r_id/150284

HTH

edit to add - sorry have just properly read your original message and you have done similar already. Hope you get it sorted

Yeah I tried all that. The camera isn't showing anything anymore, which leads me to think its properly dead, rather than just partly dead and showing an error.

I don't know anything about that camera specifically but the way you describe the fault "the display faded" makes me think that there was a short, maybe on the lens mounting contacts? Remove the lens and try with a fresh battery perhaps?

Peige said:
I don't know anything about that camera specifically but the way you describe the fault "the display faded" makes me think that there was a short, maybe on the lens mounting contacts? Remove the lens and try with a fresh battery perhaps?

Done new batteries and 3 different lenses. No different. Certainly sounds like a short somehow.

There are, iirc, a couple of internal fuses so you may have blown one of those. It's not really a DIY repair and even if you do find that a fuse has blown you still won't know why. A trip to Nikon or Fixation etc sounds like the only solution.....

Thing is the ERR issue came and went. Now its just nothing, so I dont know if there is another issue there. Certainly sounds to me like some sort of power failure in one of the boards.
My only local shops are Jessops and LCE, neither of which will have a EH-5 I wouldnt think.
Jessops dont even have a D700, so its unlikely.

If it was mentioned earlier like yesterday before 12noon then you could have borrowed my EH-5 to check it out...

Trig's said:
If it was mentioned earlier like yesterday before 12noon then you could have borrowed my EH-5 to check it out...

Thanks trig, but it didn't happen until 9pm last night.

Thanks trig, but it didn't happen until 9pm last night.

It was that was the only time I could have sent it - as the PO is normally closed by the time I get home M-F...

The offer is still there thou but I can only post out on a Saturday I'm afraid - which I'd imagine it will be/would've been too late....

It was that was the only time I could have sent it - as the PO is normally closed by the time I get home M-F...

The offer is still there thou but I can only post out on a Saturday I'm afraid - which I'd imagine it will be/would've been too late....

Yes it probably will be, thanks for the offer though. Hopefully hear back from Mr Nikon man tomorrow.

Back