Ding Dong my D700 is dead (it lives again!!!)

Great news!

Just had a revised invoice emailed to me, with a big NO PAYMENT header..

Its been dispatched, so should be here on Tuesday.
They have done a fair old whack of work on it too.

Replace damaged aperture control mechanism (bent aperture lever)
Replace DC/DC PCB
Metering, shutter and exposure accuracy checked - recalibrated if necessary.
Image capture, playback and delete functions checked.
X-sync, hot shoe and speedlight function checked.
Body depth, body focus, AF accuracy checked and recalibrated if necessary.
Image Sensor, optics, mirrors, and viewfinder cleaned.
Firmware version checked and updated if required.
Clean CCD
Check, test and clean equipment

Happy days!

Ree-Sult! :cool: :D

Looking forward to seeing more of your excellent work :clap:

..... a great example of customer service from Nikon (y)

Dont think that you would be saying that if they made him pay thou :LOL:

So Tom are you going to change the title of the original post now :shrug:

simonblue said:
Sound great,did you ever find out how the aperture lever got bent :)

Yeah, cos the lens span round to far the wrong way, and when I took it off it pulled both the levers out of position.

Is that a fault with the lens then? As it should really spin back prior to taking the lens off?

Nice one Tom. Good result, and all because of that tiny little missing screw on the 16-35. Following your other thread my lens gets checked every time before going on my camera now. (y)

Mani Gill said:
Is that a fault with the lens then? As it should really spin back prior to taking the lens off?

Yes, it's a known fault with the 16-35, which is why Nikon are picking up the tab, even though both are out of warranty.

Great news!

Just had a revised invoice emailed to me, with a big NO PAYMENT header..

Its been dispatched, so should be here on Tuesday.
They have done a fair old whack of work on it too.

Replace damaged aperture control mechanism (bent aperture lever)
Replace DC/DC PCB
Metering, shutter and exposure accuracy checked - recalibrated if necessary.
Image capture, playback and delete functions checked.
X-sync, hot shoe and speedlight function checked.
Body depth, body focus, AF accuracy checked and recalibrated if necessary.
Image Sensor, optics, mirrors, and viewfinder cleaned.
Firmware version checked and updated if required.
Clean CCD
Check, test and clean equipment

Happy days!

Slackers, you know you think they would have been a bit more thorough... ;)

I've been following your thread from the start and I'm glad you've got it sorted out in the end.

rampanthamster said:
glad it got sorted tom - you must be rather excited to get it back!

Certainly will be.

See what happens when your d700 is taken away from you for two weeks!!

IMG_0763.jpg by TCR4x4, on Flickr

Yes, it's a known fault with the 16-35, which is why Nikon are picking up the tab, even though both are out of warranty.

......and are Nikon going to recall the 16-35mm lenses?

Heather

Tigger.ufo said:
......and are Nikon going to recall the 16-35mm lenses?

Heather

Doubt it. That would cost millions.
Will be far cheaper for them just to fix for free the odd few that get sent in.

TCR4x4 said:

I just think that is a fantastic example of great customer service and that honesty does work in the end.

Mani Gill said:
I just think that is a fantastic example of great customer service and that honesty does work in the end.

Whilst I agree on the whole, it did take me having to tell them to reevaluate after they blamed me for it initially.
If id have just caved in at the first hurdle, I'd have had a rather large bill on my hands.
On the flip side, they could have kept quiet about the fault when he came back to me and I would have had to have paid, so Kudos to Nikon for being honest about it.

"What goes around comes around"

If its a common fault with the lens - have they guaranteed the work done on it as what would happen if it happened again, would they fix it for free still :shrug:

Whilst I agree on the whole, it did take me having to tell them to reevaluate after they blamed me for it initially.

Perhaps more proactive questioning on their part at the beginning would have identified which lens got stuck and provided a quicker resolution for you, true.

But then, it's also fair to say it's your kit and therefore your responsibility to provide the relevant information ;) (though that's probably my experience as a civil servant talking)

mike todd said:
Perhaps more proactive questioning on their part at the beginning would have identified which lens got stuck and provided a quicker resolution for you, true.

But then, it's also fair to say it's your kit and therefore your responsibility to provide the relevant information ;) (though that's probably my experience as a civil servant talking)

Well in my initial email I told him that I was using my d700 and the Nikon 16-35mm got stuck on it. I also repeated this on the phone when he rang me a few days later to discuss the cost.

I don't know how much more information I could have given him?
I also told him that the warranty had expired on both items, yet still a few emails later he asked if they were in warranty.

Certainly nothing more I could have done.

Trig's said:
If its a common fault with the lens - have they guaranteed the work done on it as what would happen if it happened again, would they fix it for free still :shrug:

If it happened again, I'd be extremely unlucky, but I guess they would have to fix it again!

Yay, my D700 is sat next to, all shiny looking :-D

Better still, no bill!!!

Now, the ultimate dilema. Do I sell it and buy a D3, whilst its looking so clean and just been fully serviced or hold onto it until it dies for good?

TCR4x4 said:
Yay, my D700 is sat next to, all shiny looking :-D

Better still, no bill!!!

Now, the ultimate dilema. Do I sell it and buy a D3, whilst its looking so clean and just been fully serviced or hold onto it until it dies for good?

Great ending. As for selling it, it's what I'd do since it's in tip-top condition now.

Well in my initial email I told him that I was using my d700 and the Nikon 16-35mm got stuck on it. I also repeated this on the phone when he rang me a few days later to discuss the cost.

Fair enough then :)

Back