Dioptic advice needed please

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
My camera is a Nikon D810 and at the moment to be sharp in the viewfinder ( below the viewing screen the info I mean) I have to have the dioptic setting at the max minus as shown below

y8yzgSg.jpg

I know this can be altered to give a bit of leeway either side of + or Minus using a Nikon DK-17c Eyepiece Correction lens. What I hope someone can tell me if I want say a minus or plus correction lens and should I get a say +3 or minus- 3 , or even +/- 2 which ever

Thank you for any help as there must be a member that can

Last edited:
I have no specific knowledge of Nikon's D810 but I'm sure that they'll follow the usual conventions.

Eyepiece diopter adjustments are normally +1 to -3 and you're at the -3 limit (near sighted). To get the diopter adjustment back towards the middle of its range, you should be looking to add a -2 ......or -3 if you think that you're still not close to it being correct at it's maximum......you should have a feel for if it's closing in on perfect if you look through the viewfinder as you twiddle the dial.

If you're to be the only user then -3 won't hurt but it might just prevent someone slightly far sighted being able to pick up the camera and dial it in....-2 would give more flexibilty in this case.

Last edited:
Your prescription for your glasses should give an insight and its worth asking your opticians advice as they often come across this issue with customers

For what its worth my prescription is for +2 and with both Fuji & Leica diopters +2 was perfect for me.

Back