Diploma in Professional Photography (DiPP) - inst.org

I appreciate what you're saying real speed but as with so many on this thread a structured programme of learning would benefit me greatly.

I am not planning on doing the course for the piece of paper at the end but rather for the structured experience along the way.

Accompanied by the fact I'll have 80% of the course fees paid for me then I myself am not actually paying a lot for a wealth of knowledge/training/experience and a little piece if paper!

Well the course arrived today - 4 days late, delivered to a neighbours house sitter and no card through the door. On tracking, didn't recognise the name who signed and no house number so took a guess it was next door. FedEx are rubbish!!!!!!!!
Anyhow, course looks good - loads of paperwork etc and a small box of mint imperials - they'll do wonders for my crowns:)
Got a 'scuffed' course - supposedly a returned one for 25% off - not a mark on it anywhere and nothing unpacked - suspecting marketing ploy in quiet times to attract people after a deal. Not worried though as all looks good.
I'm not doing it for the bit of paper at the end, more for a structured approach and help and advice to tell me where I am going wrong (cos I know I am going wrong) and how to improve:)

Will update as I progress

Brilliant Jules.

I won't be far behind you; I sent my application away today for my 'funding'. Takes 3/4 weeks :-( to say I'm champing at the bit would be an understatement!!

Derek

They didn't dispatch mine as they didn't have a mobile contact for FedEx so i had to call them and ask why it hadn't been sent out and then give them the number over the phone. All sorted now tho and my 'scuffed' course has arrived in immaculate (new) condition too.

Hopefully going to start writing up the assignment for module 2 tomorrow night and I'm pretty sure i got all the shots i need for module three at the weekend.

Could anyone doing this course elaborate on how the questions\assignments are laid out, please?

I can find the topics but not the assignment detail. Thinking of booking this this weekend.

Hi Paul,
There are 26 modules. Each module has a number of exercises that you need to carry out for yourself and assignments at the end of most modules. Of the 26 modules only 14 have assignments that are to be sent to your tutor for grading, the rest are optional. Personally I'm doing all of the module assignments as I feel I'll learn more carrying them all out, which of course is the reason for doing it in the first place. (y)

Far far cheaper way is to practice and yet again practice and ask for a critique on here.

I could write my own diploma and print it on posh paper and display it, 90% of people would not even bother to check it out.

The real proof is in what you present to a customer not a piece of paper stuck in a frame.

My advice is save your money

90% wouldnt buy it ... you should look in to a course on how to write a diploma :shrug:

As said previously in this thread, some people prefer structured learning which they can follow and progress through to acheive the end goal of improving themselves.
I should think anyone who has spent time looking at the various photography courses available, coming to this thread to ask about this one, and then deciding to purchase it, are intellegent enough to know how best they learn.
The course isnt the be all and end all of learning and practicing photography. It isnt about getting a certificate to wave at potential clients to try and impress them. I'm sure none of us are as much interested in the certificate as we are in the knowledge and personal improvement we will gain by studying in a way which suits us.

My advice is learn the way you feel comfortable learning.

Hi Paul,
There are 26 modules. Each module has a number of exercises that you need to carry out for yourself and assignments at the end of most modules. Of the 26 modules only 14 have assignments that are to be sent to your tutor for grading, the rest are optional. Personally I'm doing all of the module assignments as I feel I'll learn more carrying them all out, which of course is the reason for doing it in the first place. (y)

Thanks for the info. Do you have an example of any assignments that needed photos? I mean were they basically shoot a portrait or travel related photo; or did they have more specific goal?

One course I saw just asked for 10 travel related photos and why you took them, seemed pretty lame really.

Thanks for the info. Do you have an example of any assignments that needed photos? I mean were they basically shoot a portrait or travel related photo; or did they have more specific goal?

One course I saw just asked for 10 travel related photos and why you took them, seemed pretty lame really.

To be fair the assignments could all sound pretty junk just reading them alone. However applying what you've learnt in that module to that assignment changes your perspective on the task.
You could snap a few average photos with an average write up and get an average score, or spend some time applying yourself to the assignment and produce some great photos, gain some experience in the process of creating those better photos, have more to write about and get a great score ... which motivates you to keep trying harder :)

Yeah I agree, but was hoping for a bit more than just a generic shoot 10 photos of cows. Maybe suggesting one at night, one in HDR etc whatever really.

I think looking at the other info I have read on this course it is more along the lines of what I wanted.

I think the course leaves that to us to decide what style to use, etc, to fulfil the requirements. Some of the assignment descriptions are fairly simple ("take x amount of photos, pick the best 5 and explain why" as an example, though relative to that modules content) and others are a more complex/challenging - and not always in how you'd expect either.

OK that sounds better. Its more how the shot is made (composition choice, exposure etc) rather than why you chose the material, which is what I was looking for. Cheers

Well the course arrived today - 4 days late, delivered to a neighbours house sitter and no card through the door. On tracking, didn't recognise the name who signed and no house number so took a guess it was next door. FedEx are rubbish!!!!!!!! Anyhow, course looks good - loads of paperwork etc and a small box of mint imperials - they'll do wonders for my crowns:) Got a 'scuffed' course - supposedly a returned one for 25% off - not a mark on it anywhere and nothing unpacked - suspecting marketing ploy in quiet times to attract people after a deal. Not worried though as all looks good. I'm not doing it for the bit of paper at the end, more for a structured approach and help and advice to tell me where I am going wrong (cos I know I am going wrong) and how to improve:) Will update as I progress

Can I ask how you found the discounted course as this really appeals to me. I would mainly be doing it to help in improve my photography.

Last edited:
I've just sorted my pics for module 3 (the first one you need to send photos in for). Got to do my write up for it and decide why I chose these 4 pics. Bit nervous as it's the first time I've done anything like this really.
I'm happy with the pics but I'm not sure if they are 'up to standard' or not. Guess I can always resubmit some more if I don't get the mark I want.
Got a A for the first assignment - can't really see how you can get anything less than an A though as it's really just an introduction to your tutor of what you expect from the course - more of a confidence boosting exercise than anything else TBH.

Finally got Tourism submitted and marked. Pleased with an A- ! Was sure I was going to get worse than that :D
Well done Greg! Last night I submitted my landscape assignment, will find out if we are correct in the assumption that style wise we have a free reign as I put in an HDR image as one of my three. I almost chickened out but thought I'd give it a go. If it's not acceptable I'll do it again.

Got a A for the first assignment - can't really see how you can get anything less than an A though as it's really just an introduction to your tutor of what you expect from the course - more of a confidence boosting exercise than anything else TBH.

Good luck with your first submissions, I agree about the first module that it is a confidence boosting exercise, I also think that it lets the tutor understand where your coming from and where you want to be so they can advise accordingly throughout the course.

Well done Greg! Last night I submitted my landscape assignment, will find out if we are correct in the assumption that style wise we have a free reign as I put in an HDR image as one of my three. I almost chickened out but thought I'd give it a go. If it's not acceptable I'll do it again.

Thanks and good luck for your submittion! I reckon HDR will be fine as long as it is well done and doesnt look like a scene from an acid trip :p

Good luck with your first submissions, I agree about the first module that it is a confidence boosting exercise, I also think that it lets the tutor understand where your coming from and where you want to be so they can advise accordingly throughout the course.

Good luck & agreed, there was something quite good about getting it all typed out, and then the response from my tutor was a real motivation booster too.

Finally got round to enrolling on the course last week ( had to wait what seemed like an eternity for my funding to be cleared).
I submitted the first Assignment on Sunday and surprise surprise got an A. Woo Hoo!

It surprised me that theyve asked for the second assignment (Module 3) to be submitted with hardly anything said about how to take a picture as such.

Anyhoo...glad I finally got started. Now I just need to find someone with a hobby or job thatll let me snap away. :runaway:

Derek

Hi Greg,

Just wondering if you have made any money from your photography yet?
I'm not purely interested in the money aspect (as I, like you, just want to improve my photograpghy to a pro level) but I would like to start taking some pictures that I can sell - one thing I was thinking of is getting my best pictures framed (maybe 20-30 of them) and sell them at a car boot sale for maybe £10 each - should be able to make at leas £100-or-so.

also just wondering where you are with this course as you've not posted in here for almost 2 months.

Justin,
I am also on the course, and like most on it I wanted a structured program to follow as I find this method suits my own development needs. Since starting the course I have been fortunate (or lucky) to have received payment for some of my work. My biggest achievement so far is having worked published in the "mail online" and in a local newspaper. Not mega bucks ! Was it down to the course? A part of it yes, as it guided me through some of the principles and gave me the confidence but the main reason was down to the practice and techniques and people seeing my work. I still have a long way to go !!!

Further opportunities, I have recently started the business photography module, after approaching my employer (a major food brand) for permission to photograph both products and plant, I have been asked if I would supply some images for a new web launched training programme that starts in May 2014.

It's been a while since I posted anything in here, it seems to have gone a little quiet too. How is everyone getting on?
Since my last post which was the landscape module (btw the HDR was fine to submit!) which I didn't get a great mark for but the reasoning for marking me down given by my tutor was fair. It wasn't the quality but rather the composition of the images that was the issue. I may revisit it, for my own good if nothing else. After that I jumped a bit as I was photographing an actual wedding so I did the wedding module which went really well and I was chuffed with the grade. Then I jumped back and did the editing module, which at first glance may appear simple but it took a hell of a lot of thought to actually come up with the images in the first place. I'm now at the point where I have come up with my ideas for the portrait module and ready to shoot it, which I hope to get done over this weekend.
What I am finding very apparent is that you need to put a hell of a lot of work into your ideas for the module assignments. I think if you take them at face value and just do the necessary then your not going to get a great deal out of it. The modules where I have got my best marks so far have been the ones where I have taken the assignment brief as a starting point and pushed myself to do things differently. This (for me anyway) is proving to be the most beneficial aspect of the course. Making me think! :bonk:

Yeah I thought it'd gone quite quiet as well. I've only just started. I got the obligatory high grade for the first assessment and then got myself in a right tizz about the second assignment.
Problem was I didn't know anyone with a hobby bar my 8 yo daughter who does Dance at an entry level and was proving vary hard to take without using flashes etc. . I emailed my tutor after two weeks I stressing and she told me to chill and do someone doing something simple (jigsaw, folding paper etc)

I've been out shooting it this morning. Ended up choosing my 4yo son riding a bike. The light was awful; really really dull. Had to bump up to ISO 1600 to get fast enough shutter. I've still to review them so well see if I got anything decent.

The more I read of the progress and course structure the more I want to do this course - seriously considering buying this in the new year... :)

I've got my first wedding to shoot in September next year so I think this course would help a lot.

Not wanting to go off-topic too much but where is a good place to get wedding albums printed - I pressume I would send a pdf of the different pages, specify the album type and they do the rest?

Last edited:
The more I read of the progress and course structure the more I want to do this course - seriously considering buying this in the new year... :)

I've got my first wedding to shoot in September next year so I think this course would help a lot.

Not wanting to go off-topic too much but where is a good place to get wedding albums printed - I pressume I would send a pdf of the different pages, specify the album type and they do the rest?

Justin, did my daughters wedding album (from pics supplied by tog on the day), I used Loxley and the book was really good (not cheap mind)

I've been out shooting it this morning. Ended up choosing my 4yo son riding a bike. The light was awful; really really dull. Had to bump up to ISO 1600 to get fast enough shutter. I've still to review them so well see if I got anything decent.

Nothing wrong with riding a bike as the subject, that is exactly what I did for mine. I made a bit of a story out of it though to give a structure to the set, started with a pic of my daughter reading a magazine about horses sitting beside her bike, then a couple of shots of her riding the bike with different surroundings then a final shot of her standing still but still astride her bike at the edge of a field looking at the horses in it. As long as you show the thought processes behind the shots you choose to submit I don't think the actual subject matters a great deal.

Woo hoo! B+ for module 3 :) I was quite worried how it was going to be marked bit I agreed with all of the points ( positive and negative) that my tutor (Caroline Bloor) made.
It's installed a bit more confidence in my own abilities and I'm already looking forward to the next assessment.
Having read through module 4 I found it a bit basic (I appreciate the course is geared towards all abilities) but made sure I fully understood all the points etc.

Congratulations! I agree some of them appear basic but I think its structured to set you in the right frame of mind for the assignments that are coming.

Greg, do you have any commercial affiliation with this course?
Nope, just made the thread so others who are on it had somewhere to post and people who were interested would be able to find out more. There was some confusion between the dipp and P.I. course too when I was looking in to doing a course.
I know it probably looks like I am on th epayroll by some of my replies, I'm not though. I try and give the best explained answer I can to questions (mostly about course content and the price) ... which can look a bit sales pitchy I guess as an inforamative answer from me will have linkls back to the appropriate page on the course website, rather than me typing it all out many times.

Not sure what else I can say really?

Nope, just made the thread so others who are on it had somewhere to post and people who were interested would be able to find out more. There was some confusion between the dipp and P.I. course too when I was looking in to doing a course.
I know it probably looks like I am on th epayroll by some of my replies, I'm not though. I try and give the best explained answer I can to questions (mostly about course content and the price) ... which can look a bit sales pitchy I guess as an inforamative answer from me will have linkls back to the appropriate page on the course website, rather than me typing it all out many times.

Not sure what else I can say really?
Nothing at all, I hope you understand my query and not see it as an accusation of any sort...:)

Hi Greg,

Just wondering if you have made any money from your photography yet?
I'm not purely interested in the money aspect (as I, like you, just want to improve my photograpghy to a pro level) but I would like to start taking some pictures that I can sell - one thing I was thinking of is getting my best pictures framed (maybe 20-30 of them) and sell them at a car boot sale for maybe £10 each - should be able to make at leas £100-or-so.

also just wondering where you are with this course as you've not posted in here for almost 2 months.

Hi Justin,
I've made £90.00 so far ... not amazing I know but I havent really been getting on with the course much. As I said to a chap who PM'd me, if I had followed every "lead" if you like then I'd be doing better at my photography and made a bit more money too.
I was thinking of doing something similar to your idea, however I havent got round to it yet, its a daunting task working through so many images to find the best and then edit them. And then using lightroom and photoshop its often posisble to make an average photo a great photo!

The thread slipped from my memory as been busy and since the forum update I didnt get any notifications :(

Last edited:
I seem to have ground to a halt for a while - folder sat collecting an impressive layer of dust!
Decided to dig it out again the other day and have another look but can't seem to find the right subject for this one.
Thinking I might use the ipad as a subject with some shallow depth of field stuff and maybe some of the kids using it.
How's everyone else doing at the moment?

I've not done anything since the first assignment. I'm struggling to find a subject for the second assignment but i need to get my head down and have a think!

Back